Author Topic: The Lesson of Dunkirk It’s one Ted Cruz Republicans must learn. Thomas Sowell  (Read 7265 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Sowell stumbled into something he probably didn't plan to with his analogy. While on the surface, Dunkirk was a 'battle they coldn't win' and a loss, it was actually a very important strategic battle.

The battle of Dunkirk happened after the battle for France had already lost, however, the French uniting to help evacuate the allied soldiers actually created the roots of a major underground resistance in France. At the time, the allies didn't view Dunkirk as a loss but as a victory as those 300K troops were successfully rescued.

Oh, and when all those soldiers were evacuated, they left behind a lot of equipment that was used later by the French resistance.

There is an old book Sowell should read: "The Importance of Dunkirk Consider'd: In Defence of the Guardian of August the 7th" by Sir Richard Steele.

So in this case, Cruz should accept the comparison, because, while the uninformed may look at what he is doing as a 'battle he cannot win', the reality is he is creating the roots of resistance for a larger war.

Online Lando Lincoln

Getting really fed up with all the bullshit around here........ :whistle:

Agreed.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline aligncare

Sowell stumbled into something he probably didn't plan to with his analogy. While on the surface, Dunkirk was a 'battle they coldn't win' and a loss, it was actually a very important strategic battle.

The battle of Dunkirk happened after the battle for France had already lost, however, the French uniting to help evacuate the allied soldiers actually created the roots of a major underground resistance in France. At the time, the allies didn't view Dunkirk as a loss but as a victory as those 300K troops were successfully rescued.

Oh, and when all those soldiers were evacuated, they left behind a lot of equipment that was used later by the French resistance.

There is an old book Sowell should read: "The Importance of Dunkirk Consider'd: In Defence of the Guardian of August the 7th" by Sir Richard Steele.

So in this case, Cruz should accept the comparison, because, while the uninformed may look at what he is doing as a 'battle he cannot win', the reality is he is creating the roots of resistance for a larger war.

goopo

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Getting really fed up with all the bullshit around here........ :whistle:

So am I! But I somehow doubt that the BS I'm fed up with is the same BS you are fed up with.

savme
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I see sink is in a forced timeout.  That is not what I wanted.

He is permanently in time out with me.

Broken records get extremely tiresome eventually.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
He is permanently in time out with me.

Broken records get extremely tiresome eventually.

Bigun....Bigun....Bigun......

The other day, I happened to post on a thread in which everybody was fully engaged in debating Cruz (what else is new?)

I quoted Sinkspur in my rant...but my reply was not directed at him personally.

Evidently not everybody caught that, because I was immediately quoted and cheered....in fact you called it a HOME RUN shot.

Coincidentally, all the kudos was from posters/mods that have a visceral dislike of Sinkspur.

Anyway, my point is that I disagree with Sinkspur regarding Ted Cruz...and IIRC, illegal immigration back during the Bush years.

We're still "friends" and fellow Republicans trying to beat back the Left.

All I can do is ask you to reevaluate or take the time to see it from a different perspective.

Thanks.   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

Yep. Despite any disagreements I might have with sinky, I like his hard-edged, concise responses. A definite value added poster.

Online Lando Lincoln

The other day, I happened to post on a thread in which everybody was fully engaged in debating Cruz (what else is new?)

Evidently not everybody caught that, because I was immediately quoted and cheered....in fact you called it a HOME RUN shot.

Coincidentally, all the kudos was from posters/mods that have a visceral dislike of Sinkspur.

Anyway, my point is that I disagree with Sinkspur regarding Ted Cruz...and IIRC, illegal immigration back during the Bush years.

All I can do is ask you to reevaluate or take the time to see it from a different perspective.

I agree DCP.  As I have said, sink is acerbic and he gives no quarter in his arguments.  But guess what?  Others here are just as opinionated as well.  Forums are made interesting because members bring their knowledge, life's experiences and opinions to the forum.  Even to those who hold opposite opinions to sink must appreciate his knowledge of the intricacies of Congressional proceedings and developments.  If he held a more mainstream opinion, at times, he'd be heralded as a scholar by the very people who criticize.

Sink is one of a couple members here who can piss me off like no other...   I won't say who the other is (Luis, I love you brother!).  But you know what?  I stop and read every post of theirs I come across.  Every. Single. One.  Why?  For me they bring value and substance and make me assess my own groundings and beliefs.  THAT has value.

Kudos to myst also.  What a thankless job she must have at times!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:17:08 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline katzenjammer

goopo

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I agree DCP.  As I have said, sink is acerbic and he gives no quarter in his arguments.  But guess what?  Others here are just as opinionated as well.  Forums are made interesting because members bring their knowledge, life's experiences and opinions to the forum.  Even to those who hold opposite opinions to sink must appreciate his knowledge of the intricacies of Congressional proceedings and developments.  If he held a more mainstream opinion, at times, he'd be heralded as a scholar by the very people who criticize.

Sink is one of a couple members here who can piss me off like no other...   I won't say who the other is (Luis, I love you brother!).  But you know what?  I stop and read every post of theirs I come across.  Every. Single. One.  Why?  For me they bring value and substance and make me assess my own groundings and beliefs.  THAT has value.

Kudos to myst also.  What a thankless job she must have at times!

Kudos to you, friend!   :beer:

Every thread Sink hits...brings a conversation.   Which is required to make a "thread".

I'm confident all will work out fine.  Feel it in my bones!!   

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

Just for S & Gs, Ted Cruz is the only senator that I see that most represents my values.
Others talk it but he's the only one that does it.
Having said that I will repeate that the best way to overcome the RINO/GTOP-e influence is to outnumber them. And the best way to outnumber them, IMHO, is to replace a dim with a TP.
You're NOT going to beat them by fighting with them. If there's one thing we can learn from the dims it's the strategy of incrementalism.
I disagree with Dr. Sowell in his analysis of Mr. Cruz.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

My goodness, this IS getting a little weird.  :whistle:

Online Lando Lincoln

My goodness, this IS getting a little weird.  :whistle:

LOL!! It is a whole lot better than the * bickering.  :beer:

Edit: *Senseless*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:42:47 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Not really.  The collective tongue bath going on here is a tad bizarre.   You yourself told the guy yesterday to get off the board and go out and get some fresh air. 

So 2-3 days of forced fresh air is gonna kill him?  I think it will kill you guys before it does him.  :silly:

Online Lando Lincoln

Not really.  The collective tongue bath going on here is a tad bizarre.   You yourself told the guy yesterday to get off the board and go out and get some fresh air. 

So 2-3 days of forced fresh air is gonna kill him?  I think it will kill you guys before it does him.  :silly:

I'm glad you have it all figured out Lip.  Like most things.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

I'm glad you have it all figured out Lip.  Like most things.

:thumbsup:

Oceander

George Washington did not have to fight futile battles in order to prove his courage. He was already well known for being in the thick of battles, with bullets whistling around his head. But he had to wait for situations where he had the enemy at a disadvantage, and then strike.

When Washington made his celebrated crossing of the Delaware, he was headed for a dramatic victory, using soldiers he had saved for just such a moment. Wars are about winning, not futile symbolic gestures that leave you worse off. Politics must be the same, if you are serious about the issues.

I'd be a little more sanguine if (a) we had a republican leadership that was "well known for being in the thick of battles, with bullets whistling around", and (b) at least some vague impression that the republicans are conserving forces for a "dramatic victory."

I see precious little evidence on either count.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I currently have no way of knowing (my choice) what Sink has said previous to anything you might post and I'm afraid it's going to have to stay that way until he looses this one note band syndrome he currently suffers from. 

:beer:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:19:20 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Dissent at this point is not only futile, but risks suspension as well. The party line has been decided.

I think Sink got a bum deal.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

Dissent at this point is not only futile, but risks suspension as well. The party line has been decided.

Now you're being unfair; apparently tit does go for tat.

Offline katzenjammer

I'd be a little more sanguine if (a) we had a republican leadership that was "well known for being in the thick of battles, with bullets whistling around", and (b) at least some vague impression that the republicans are conserving forces for a "dramatic victory."

I see precious little evidence on either count.

I understand your point (a) above.  On your point (b), I do have, more than a vague, impression that they are conserving forces for a "dramatic victory," but that "victory" is not the same victory that you, I, and many others wish to see happen. 

At this point in time I don't think that it is a stretch at all to come to the conclusion (since all of the evidence in front of us points to it) that the victory they want is over the forces of Constitutional, Limited & Constrained Government patriots. 

I understand that some will not agree, and that is fine.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I understand your point (a) above.  On your point (b), I do have, more than a vague, impression that they are conserving forces for a "dramatic victory," but that "victory" is not the same victory that you, I, and many others wish to see happen. 

At this point in time I don't think that it is a stretch at all to come to the conclusion (since all of the evidence in front of us points to it) that the victory they want is over the forces of Constitutional, Limited & Constrained Government patriots. 

I understand that some will not agree, and that is fine.

I'm not one of those who will disagree! Far from it in fact!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

TS... I will try to make this my last comment on the matter.  I make no bones about being a "fan" of sink (as one of our most esteemed members pointed out so adroitly).  In a post for all to see, I also suggested that he take a break - directly to him - just prior to or simultaneous his timeout. 

But I am going to say this - and I will say it only this one time.  What I found so reprehensible at TOS were the not the Zot-fests per se... but rather those individuals who would assemble like hyenas and dance on the freshly dug graves.  Disgusting and repulsive and vile.  But... as the saying goes... that's just me.

I can not tell you how fortunate we are to have the hosts we have at The Briefing Room.  They are so circumspect on these matters.  There are some members, however, who can smell blood when it is in the water.

I can count on my two hands those members who, in my view, drive the substance of this forum.  Sinkspur gets counted on the first hand.

Take your shots... I am moving on.

Edit:  Had a double "the"... as in "the the".  Bothered me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:55:08 am by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Sorry you feel that way ts...I try to be fair to everyone here.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

Sorry you feel that way ts...I try to be fair to everyone here.

Indeed you do myst.  Thank you.
John Steinbeck