Author Topic: Horror! Cop instantly shoots, kills teen who answered door holding video game controller  (Read 1046 times)

rangerrebew

HORROR! Cop instantly shoots, kills teen who answered door holding video game controller

Posted By Robby Soave On 4:44 PM 02/19/2014 In | No Comments

A Georgia family is in shock following the death of their 17-year-old son, who was accidentally killed by a police officer who believed the video game controller he was holding was a gun, according to the family’s lawyer.

Christopher Roupe of Euharlee, Georgia heard a knock at the door of the family’s home last Friday night. Upon opening the door, he was immediately shot by a female police officer.

Roupe was pronounced dead upon arrival at a local hospital.

The officer broke down it tears upon realizing her mistake, according to The New York Daily News.

She had been making a probation-related visit to the home. She thought Roupe was holding a gun, according to a statement from the police department.

Cole Law, the family’s attorney, said he believes that the officer did mistake Roupe’s video game controller for a weapon. Roupe was holding a remote controller for the Nintendo Wii when he opened the door, according to Law.

Standard-issue Wii controllers are white cylinders, but specialty controllers shaped like guns do exist. It is not yet known what type of controller Roupe possessed. (RELATED: Update: Texas teen faces 8 years in prison over Facebook comment)

Neighbors confirmed that Roupe had a Wii controller, not a gun, according to Law.

“The eyewitnesses on the scene clearly state that he had a Wii controller in his hand,” said Law, according to WSB-TV. “He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest.”

Roupe had plans to enlist in the Marines after finishing high school. He was involved in the ROTC program at his high school.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave while the police department investigates the matter. The family will likely file suit against the department.

Follow Robby on Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/19/horror-cop-instantly-shoots-kills-teen-who-answered-door-holding-video-game-controller/

Offline Rapunzel

Good grief........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline raml

Reminds me of my best friends brother who was killed when police officers came to his home at 2:00am. His wife opened the door and when he entered the room behind her he was 6'5" but was in his underwear a rookie cop shot and killed him due to he looked scary. They came to their door because the neighbors alarm was going off and no one was home. I have never trusted cops much since then. He had a darling 3 month old baby daughter that lost her father that day.

Offline rustynail

I'm reminded of track two off of N.W.A.'s  Straight Outta Compton album.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
"Center mass", they don't train you to miss or wound. She shot. She killed. That's what she was trained to do. However, she must have missed the class on 'identify the target'.

This happens all the time in military and police situations, and is usually the result of a combination of over training on weapons and, well, 'fear'.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sinkspur

This female officer (she has been identified on other sites and clearly has some mental issues) will, at the very least, be fired, if not indicted on manslaughter charges.

The  LEOs on the street today (especially the females) are scared to death of the public they are sworn to protect.  Two female officers in Dallas in the last year were fired for shooting suspects with their hands in the air and no weapon anywhere in the vicinity.

Just think of this:  a young man is dead because a jittery LEO, with her gun drawn, goes to a door on a PROBATION call, fails to identify herself to the father and son in the house, then fires her weapon the second the kid opens the door.

No situation--NO SITUATION--can't be made much worse by involving law enforcement.  Never, ever, ever call a cop or open a door for a cop unless informing them that you are unarmed and have no dogs in the house.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"Center mass", they don't train you to miss or wound. She shot. She killed. That's what she was trained to do. However, she must have missed the class on 'identify the target'.

This happens all the time in military and police situations, and is usually the result of a combination of over training on weapons and, well, 'fear'.
Either we simply learn more about a situations which has gone on for a long time, or there are a whole lot of unjustified police shootings.

In my town, known for good law enforcement, the police shot to death a teenage girl on a school playground. She was holding a knife, and they claim she moved towards them.

Two or more police out in the open, with a teen girl should not feel their lives are threatened if she moves a bit with a knife.

I believe police need much better and different training. They also need better options for non-lethal methods.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

I have two nephews who are LEOs, each with more than a decade of service. 

Neither has even DRAWN their weapons, much less used them and have been involved in domestic abuse, aggravated assault, and standoff cases. 

An officer that can't diffuse a situation with a teenager or one involving a dog without shooting somebody has no business in that line of work.

Offline xfreeper

I don't think there would be a very strong case for this being the result of over training

Offline xfreeper

most importantly, the COP went home safe s/

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
In one of the companys I was in, they said, "If you can't take a bullet and return fire, you don't belong here". It wasn't about 'bravery', it was all about staying calm and knowing what you are doing and always accomplish the mission, no matter what.

This mission was a fail.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline xfreeper

I have two nephews who are LEOs, each with more than a decade of service. 

Neither has even DRAWN their weapons, much less used them and have been involved in domestic abuse, aggravated assault, and standoff cases. 

An officer that can't diffuse a situation with a teenager or one involving a dog without shooting somebody has no business in that line of work.

I'm positive there are many LEO's not qualified to carry or use a firearm

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Roupe had plans to enlist in the Marines after finishing high school. He was involved in the ROTC program at his high school.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

This is so sad. No doubt the LEO is in torment, but she still draws breath.

This poor kid is in a casket somewhere for absolutely no valid reason!!!!

Offline Carling

This is so sad. No doubt the LEO is in torment, but she still draws breath.

This poor kid is in a casket somewhere for absolutely no valid reason!!!!

The way to own this is for the LEO who shot this young man to resign from the force.  She clearly is not cut out to be a cop.  I feel the same way about the male officer who gunned down the kid in CA who had an AirSoft gun.  Instead, these licensed murderers tend to be protected, and go on about their jobs after time passes. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------