Author Topic: Dershowitz: 'The Dominoes Are Beginning to Fall' for Christie  (Read 937 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dershowitz: 'The Dominoes Are Beginning to Fall' for Christie
« on: February 01, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Christie-bridge-lies-Wildstein/2014/01/31/id/550280

Newsmax
Dershowitz: 'The Dominoes Are Beginning to Fall' for Christie
Friday, January 31, 2014 09:02 PM

By: Todd Beamon

Alan Dershowitz told Newsmax on Friday "the dominoes are beginning to fall" in the spiraling bridge-gate scandal engulfing New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, and said "I think he hasn't told the whole truth and is in trouble."

"The U.S. attorney should now subpoena the documents that were referred to in the letter and should sit down and talk to the governor," the former Harvard Law School professor said in an exclusive interview.

"The governor so far has not spoken to law enforcement nor has he spoken under oath, so legally, he can lie all he wants," Dershowitz said. "He's not obliged to tell the truth. Politically, he may be obliged to tell the truth, but legally he's not.

"But once he sits down and talks to law enforcement, he has to tell the truth, otherwise he can be prosecuted for a crime.

"They have to lock in his testimony as soon as possible, before he knows what all the dominoes are, and he has to give those answers," he added. "That what the U.S. attorney's office should do now. The sooner the better."

Dershowitz's comments came after the lawyer for a former Christie appointee for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey disclosed that his client had evidence that proved the Republican governor knew early on about the lane closures that snarled traffic on the George Washington Bridge for four days last September.

Alan Zegas, who represents David Wildstein, said in a letter that was published by The New York Times and The Star-Ledger that it was "the Christie administration's order" to close the lanes at the town of Fort Lee.

Wildstein resigned in December because of the scandal.

The two-page letter added that "evidence exists as well tying Mr. Christie to having knowledge of the lane closures, during the period when the lanes were closed, contrary to what the governor stated publicly in a two-hour press conference."

Zegas wrote to the Port Authority asking it to reconsider its decision not to pay Wildstein's legal bills, according to The Star-Ledger. Wildstein ordered the abrupt and unannounced closure of commuter lanes leading to the bridge, causing massive gridlock.

In a statement late Friday, Christie's office said he told the truth about what he knew about the politically motivated lane closings, and disputed the allegations in Wildstein's letter.

"Mr. Wildstein's lawyer confirms what the governor has said all along: He had absolutely no prior knowledge of the lane closures before they happened and whatever Mr. Wildstein's motivations were for closing them to begin with," the statement said.

"As the governor said in a Dec. 13 press conference, he only first learned lanes were closed when it was reported by the press and, as he said in his Jan. 9 press conference, had no indication that this was anything other than a traffic study until he read otherwise the morning of Jan. 8.

"The governor denies Mr. Wildstein's lawyer's other assertions," the statement said.

The U.S. attorney in New Jersey, Paul Fishman, said earlier this month that he would open an investigation into the bridge lane closings.

Fishman must give immunity to Wildstein — "and he's going to have to testify and tell the whole truth and be asked hard questions," Dershowitz said.

But regardless, Christie is in trouble, he told Newsmax, and "if he is smart, and he is smart, he's talking to somebody behind the scenes — a very good criminal lawyer.

"He hasn't disclosed that. He doesn't have to. He can keep that a secret."

More broadly, the former law professor said that Friday's disclosures illustrated a personal rift between Wildstein and the governor over the bridge scandal.

The men have known each other since high school, according to news reports, but Christie made negative comments about Wildstein at the Dec. 13 press conference.

"Gov. Christie really made his stupid mistake by treating Wildstein the way he did," Dershowitz said. "He provoked him. Christie showed his total ineptness when he said what he said about Wildstein at the press conference."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Dershowitz: 'The Dominoes Are Beginning to Fall' for Christie
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:33:40 pm »
"The U.S. attorney should now subpoena the documents that were referred to in the letter and should sit down and talk to the governor," the former Harvard Law School professor said in an exclusive interview.

(a) how is the the US Attorney's business?  So far this is nothing more than a local NJ state political matter to be resolved by NJ itself; and

(b) it seems pretty clear what the democrats'/Obama's plan of attack will be on any significant republican challenger to the anointing of Saint Hillary in 2016:  they're practicing on Christie, not the least because he's a very emotional target for some of their biggest supporters - the unions, and especially the public sector unions.

Get ready for this scam to be run against at least one or two other republican presidential potentials in the next year to year and a half.  Were I Jeb Bush, I'd make sure I had all of my ducks in a row right now because he's a likely next target given the noises being heard amongst some in the GOP leadership that he should be tapped if Christie fails.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:01:58 pm »
(a) how is the the US Attorney's business?  So far this is nothing more than a local NJ state political matter to be resolved by NJ itself; and

Could it not be argued that the bridge disruption interfered with inter state commerce? That is a federal area.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:50:47 pm »
Could it not be argued that the bridge disruption interfered with inter state commerce? That is a federal area.

Yes.

I have no doubt Christie and his team thought this was funny... No one's laughing now, though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:51:53 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 05:52:52 pm »

Yes.

Thanks. I thought so. Bit of a long shot, but you know the Feds. They don't like people on their turf, especially one with an R (however ill deserved) after their name.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 05:57:16 pm »

Given the current climate here a loud fart could be argued to have interfered with interstate commerce!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 06:01:06 pm »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln