Author Topic: LIVE THREAD..... Obama's 2014 SOTU Address...9pm est  (Read 21517 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: LIVE THREAD..... Obama's 2014 SOTU Address...9pm est
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:56 pm »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014, 11:02:42 pm »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:27 pm »

Offline flowers

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:21 pm »
How do I find the twitter feeds for this SOTU??? can you all give me a link or two please?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:54 pm »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:04 pm »
I will be here unless the storm named LEON knocks my power out with ice.

If Obama says

'Pahk ee stahn' or' let me be clear' ONE time, I don't know if I can keep it on.

Truly the only way I think I can muster watching this thing is that I know know matter how much Al Sharpton scream preaches on MSNBC, or CNN says he looked handsome. Everyone knows they are full of shit.

And someone send Boehner a memo and tell him his ratings are low because he acts ike McCain and is a democrat.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:32 pm »
I just go to twitter - Follow a lot of people like Malkin, etc., and go from there as they scroll down.

BTW Thomas Jefferson submitted the SOTU in writing  - it was done that way until Woodrow Wilson thought he should stand in front of congress and deliver it in person.  I vote we return to the Jefferson method.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2014, 11:11:08 pm »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2014, 11:15:06 pm »
did I just read in here Hannity will be at the SOTU LIVE?

:2popcorn:

Hannity will not be able to stop himself from yelling YOU'RE A LIAR!

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Carling

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2014, 11:15:43 pm »
I thank those of you who will watch this reading, and who will also post commentary about it in real time, in advance.

I can't watch it, because it make my blood pressure rise, and my wife ends up turning it off, anyhow, as my face turns beet red.   :beer:
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2014, 11:16:01 pm »
http://reason.com/blog/2014/01/28/the-executive-authority-to-take-a-drink

The Executive Authority to Take a Drink: Reason’s 2014 SOTU Drinking Game

Peter Suderman|Jan. 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Email

The Washington Post’s Glenn Kessler looked back at the litany of proposals from last year’s big presidential address to Congress and found that almost no action was taken on any of them: Just four of the 23 proposals in the speech resulted in any completed actions. (Those that did tended to be pretty basic stuff: the passage of a budget, the completion of a bipartisan commission report on the voting experience in America, etc.)

Another way to put it is that last year’s State of the Union was mostly meaningless — a grab bag of ideas that never took. 

That’s the good news.

The bad news is that President Obama has decided to look for ways to go around Congress instead. With his own approval numbers sagging, and a midterm election on the way that’s likely to favor the GOP, he knows that his legislative agenda will probably remain as stagnant this year as it was last.

So he’s putting together a to-do list of executive actions for the coming year. “We’re not just going to be waiting for legislation” he said earlier this month. “I’ve got a pen and I’ve got a phone.” And he plans to wield them both.

But first he’ll wield the power of the pulpit. This year’s address to the joint Congress is widely expected to be built around the theme of inequality. “Obama’s message “will place any discussion of inequality in the broader context of shrinking economic opportunity,” White House advisers tell The Washington Post. “He will seek to make his economic policy more easily relatable to ordinary Americans, focusing on college affordability, retirement security, infrastructure, health care and other issues.”

In other words, another grab bag. At least we can take solace in the hope that most of it won’t matter.

That and a tasty beverage. Reason staffers will be live Tweeting and live-drinking the speech. For those who want to play along, the rules (guidelines, really) are below. 

Take a drink, and click a link, any time President Obama…

Mentions inequality. Take another if, in the same sentence, he refers to “the wealthiest Americans.” Chug the rest of the bottle if he mentions “the 1 percent.”

Describes government spending as an investment.

Talks about economic mobility without noting that mobility has not changed in fifty years.

Forgets to apologize for lying when he said that people who liked their doctors and their health plans could keep them under Obamacare.

Says the words “nation building at home.”

Falsely insists that there’s no evidence of any abuses of power at the National Security Agency.

Grudgingly admits that the surveillance state may have gone too far—but calls for weak reforms that won’t rein in its power.

Credits Obamacare for its Medicaid enrollment, despite the fact that we have no idea how many Medicaid enrollees since October are for people who are newly eligible under the law.

Mentions Syria, which Obama wanted to bomb, and then (thank goodness!) didn’t.

Says anything interesting about foreign policy.

Falsely presents something as a false choice.

Starts any sentence with the words, “Let me be clear.” Double shot if it’s an ad-lib not in the prepared text.

Finally, take a drink any time the cameras cut away to Chad Henderson, the Obamacare poster boy who told reporters he was among the first to sign up under the law but hadn't actually enrolled in health insurance. He says he'll be there, as a guest of Texas GOP Rep. Steve Stockman.

As always, Reason encourages drinking responsibly. How else will you know when a politician is trying to pull one over on you?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2014, 11:16:38 pm »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2014, 11:17:11 pm »
Like more than a few others on the forum, I'm so incredulous of WTF is going on around me, that I am purposely boycotting the speech.

They should be arresting him tonight and putting him on trial, not applauding him.

:thumbsup:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2014, 11:17:20 pm »
Tara Setmayer ‏@TaraSetmayer 2h

Trying to determine what color @SpeakerBoehner's complexion will be & laughing at how much darker he is than Obama. #SOTUthingsImiss

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:00 pm »
Lila Rose ‏@LilaGraceRose 1m

Question for @BarackObama for tonight's #SOTU : How can we protect children from guns if they never make it out of the womb alive?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:01 pm »
Did I just hear on Fox that unemployed folks will be guests at the SOTU??   :nometalk:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:58 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2014, 11:20:14 pm »
Did I just hear on Fox that unemployed folks will be guests at the SOTU??   :nometalk:

Beats me, I hardly watch Fox these days, The Blaze is much more informative and my blood pressure doesn't skyrocket watching it.

Offline happyg

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2014, 11:22:00 pm »
How do I find the twitter feeds for this SOTU??? can you all give me a link or two please?

Here's one. There are a lot of them.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23foxnewsCHAT&src=typd

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2014, 11:24:29 pm »
Lol Chief that rainbow gif made me lol

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:00 pm »
2 Millions Bikers to DC
16 hours ago
"MILLION AMERICAN TWEET"
State Of The Union Address - January 28, 2014
9PM ET
During The Address - Tweet- "You Lie"
Keep It Going Throughout His Entire Speech

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:44 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2014, 12:04:35 am »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2014, 12:06:12 am »
Lol Chief that rainbow gif made me lol

It's from the "Time for Some Campaigning" parody from JibJab.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline flowers