Author Topic: Dearborn school tells 8 yr. old with autism not to bring Bible to school  (Read 768 times)

rangerrebew

Precious 8-Year-Old Autistic Boy Brings His Bible to School Every Day – That Is, Until the School Told Him the Book Is ‘Only for Church’

Jan. 24, 2014 7:20am    Jason Howerton

A Dearborn elementary school reportedly told an 8-year-old boy with autism to stop bringing his Bible to class because the book is “only for church, not school.”

Jessica Cross is understandably furious that her special needs son’s Bible was banned. She says the boy, Jason, likes to read the Bible during “free time.”

Dearborn School Tells 8 Year Old With Autism Not to Bring Bible
WJBK-TV

However, when a local news station contacted the superintendent of Crestwood Schools, she quickly overruled the decision handed down by Highview Elementary.

Dr. Laurine Van Valkenburg told WJBK-TV that she understands why Cross is frustrated. She also added, “If a child wants to bring a Bible to school, they may.”

Van Valkenburg, who says she has been out of town, vowed to look into the incident when she returns.

But it’s not just the Bible banning that’s got the mother frustrated with Highview Elementary. Cross says she’s not pleased with the way her son has been treated in the past and claims a worksheet given to her 6-year-old daughter’s referenced alcohol.

The worksheet isn’t overly controversial, but the mother objects to her 6-year-old daughter being exposed to information about alcohol at such an early age.

The worksheet reportedly read: “My dad drinks wine. He puts a lime in his wine. It makes my mom smile.”

Dearborn School Tells 8 Year Old With Autism Not to Bring Bible
WJBK-TV

Regarding the alleged treatment, Valkenburg is upset.

“Putting my son in time outs for 13 hours a week and refusing him lunch, and just absurd things and just, if I did something like that I’d lose my kids!” she told WJBK-TV.

Cross says she has been to several meetings, but “whenever we all get in the same room together, then they just lie.”

Van Valkenburg also said she would investigate the worksheet as well.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/24/precious-8-year-old-autistic-boy-brings-his-bible-to-school-every-day-that-is-until-the-school-told-him-the-book-is-only-for-church/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:16:37 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Dearborn school tells 8 yr. old with autism not to bring Bible to school
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:27:14 pm »
The bible thing is wrong on so many levels I can't even start to process it.

The worksheet thing though? We're Italian in our traditions, though very English in a lot of the food. Our kids started having water with a splash of wine in it at dinner when they could be trusted to use a glass correctly. Our grand kids the same.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 06:28:53 pm »
IIRC Dearborn is heavily Muslim.........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:36 pm »
"The worksheet reportedly read: “My dad drinks wine. He puts a lime in his wine. It makes my mom smile.”

Lime in wine?   Who the hell does that?   Do I have to rewrite these worksheets correcting them?
Better - My dad made margaritas in the blender, salted each glass then added to each a slice of lime. It makes my mom smile.   

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:51:36 pm »

Yep, Dearborn is one of the points where the muslims have gained a foot hold. There is a city near there, Hamtramck, where they sound the muslim call to prayer 5 times a day.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:02:47 pm »
It is. That's why I'm surprised they'd mention wine at all. Apparently, they were trying to teach the "long i" sound (lime, wine, smile) but I guess no other words came to mind.  ^-^

As for the Bible, I wonder if that particular book has been banned everywhere. When I was in 11th grade, I actually took a "Bible as Literature" course in a public high school for my English credit. I guess those days are over!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:43:56 pm »

As for the Bible, I wonder if that particular book has been banned everywhere.

I'd be willing to bet if the father sent him with a Koran the school wouldn't have said a word.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »
I'd be willing to bet if the father sent him with a Koran the school wouldn't have said a word.
Indeed. 
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:11:42 pm »
It is. That's why I'm surprised they'd mention wine at all. Apparently, they were trying to teach the "long i" sound (lime, wine, smile) but I guess no other words came to mind.  ^-^

As for the Bible, I wonder if that particular book has been banned everywhere. When I was in 11th grade, I actually took a "Bible as Literature" course in a public high school for my English credit. I guess those days are over!

Our daughter took a class with that name in the late nineties in a public school.

I haven't checked, but I'm guessing it's not taught in very many (if any) schools any more.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.