Author Topic: Pentagon to allow religious beards, tattoos, piercings in some cases  (Read 865 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/policy-strategy/196153-pentagon-to-allow-religious-beards-tattoos-and-piercings-in

January 22, 2014, 04:25 pm
Pentagon to allow religious beards, tattoos, piercings in some cases

By Kristina Wong

The Pentagon will become more accommodating to individuals’ respective religions, according to updated instruction released today.

A new Pentagon policy states that military departments will accommodate religious requests from individual service members unless a request would interfere with military readiness, a mission, unit cohesion, or good order and discipline.

This would include religious clothing, facial hair, religious tattoos and piercings. The changes come after a Sikh American Army major complained to congressional staffers that fellow Sikhs should be able to wear a turban or maintain a beard while in uniform.

Each request will be decided on a case-by-case basis, and some decisions can be made by immediate commanders, while others will have to be referred back to their respective military service.

The new policy is intended to reduce the instances and perception of discrimination toward those whose religious expressions are less familiar to the command, said Pentagon spokesman Navy Lt. Cmdr. Nathan J. Christiansen.

"The Department of Defense places a high value on the rights of members of the military services to observe the tenets of their respective religions and the rights of others to their own religious beliefs,"  "including the right to hold no beliefs," Christensen said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline olde north church

Re: Pentagon to allow religious beards, tattoos, piercings in some cases
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:36:44 am »
and everybody should be a General  **nononono*
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline WAYNE

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »
  I would want to be allowed to  carry a loaded pork chop..

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 05:23:49 pm »
Odd - tattoos not allowed? My first two were mandatory.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:15:32 pm »

I would want to be allowed to  carry a loaded pork chop..
:headbang:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:20:33 pm »
Sounds like they are recruiting from the Taliban now.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:27:22 am »
My opinion on this isn't very popular on our side, but I believe most of us are wrong about this. This is a win for religious liberty and a reversal of actions Clinton took in the 90s. Up until the late 90s, Sikhs (who fought for this action), were allowed to wear turbans and beards. They had been since at least WWII (if not before). It was accepted part of the military code. Christians also could wear small crucifixes and Jews Yarmelkes. In the late 90s, Clinton reversed this pushing the trend to erase personal, limited (and historical) religious expressions. It all but erased Sikhs in the military (we only have 3 active members now).

This is a win for religious liberty and simply going back to the accepted standards we had up until around 1997. 

(I actually got in a bit of a spat with Ulsterman on Facebook earlier about this).