Author Topic: Former Va. Gov. McDonnell and wife charged in gifts case  (Read 954 times)

Offline flowers

Former Va. Gov. McDonnell and wife charged in gifts case
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:05:16 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/former-va-gov-mcdonnell-and-wife-charged-in-gifts-case/2014/01/21/1ed704d2-82cb-11e3-9dd4-e7278db80d86_story.html

Former Virginia governor Robert F. McDonnell and his wife Maureen were charged Tuesday with illegally accepting gifts, luxury vacations and large loans from a wealthy Richmond-area businessman who sought special treatment from state government.

Authorities alleged that McDonnell and his wife received gifts from executive Jonnie R. Williams again and again, lodging near constant requests for money, clothes, trips, golf accessories and private plane rides.

In exchange, authorities alleged that the McDonnells worked in concert to lend the prestige of the governorship to Williams’s struggling company, a small former cigarette manufacturer that now sells dietary supplements.

The two were charged with 14 felony counts, including wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, obtaining property under color of their official office and conspiring to the do the same.

They were also charged with making false statements to a federal credit union.

McDonnell was also charged with making a false statement to a financial institution, and Maureen McDonnell was charged with obstructing the investigation.

A lawyer for McDonnell released a statement from the former governor denying that he has broken the law.

Offline Cincinnatus

Ex-Va. governor McDonnell, wife charged in gift scandal
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:05:25 pm »
Breaking. Just heard report on radio.

Former Virginia governor Bob McDonnell and his wife, Maureen, were indicted Tuesday for illegally accepting gifts and loans from a political donor.

The charges against the couple were outlined in a document filed by the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.

McDonnell, a Republican who was once considered a presidential contender, and his wife, accepted loans, gifts and trips from Jonnie Williams Sr., a former CEO of a dietary supplement maker.

McDonnell last year repaid more than $120,000 to Williams and apologized for bringing "embarrassment" to the state.

The story is developing.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/01/21/bob-mcdonnell-gifts-virginia-governor-indicted/4723979/
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline flowers

Re: Former Va. Gov. McDonnell and wife charged in gifts case
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:06:40 pm »

Timeline: McDonnell's involvement with Star Scientific

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/local/timeline-mcdonnells-involvement-with-star-scientific/307/

Jan. 16, 2010
Robert F. McDonnell sworn in as 71st governor of Virginia. Star Scientific had contributed more than $28,500 in air travel to his 2009 campaign; the company would also give more than $80,000 in air travel to his political action committee in 2010 and 2011.

Maureen and Bob McDonnell. (Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post)
Nov. 4, 2010
Va.Secretary of Health and Human Resources Bill Hazel meets with Star Scientific chief executive Jonnie R. Williams Sr. at McDonnell's suggestion. Williams pitches Hazel on his company's new dietary supplement. Hazel says the meeting is not unusual and nothing comes of it.

Related article

Dec. 29, 2010
McDonnell signs a catering contract for his daughter Cailin’s wedding, making him financially responsible for the food. He pays the first of two deposits for the event.

Related article

Sometime in April or May 2011

Jonnie Williams. (AP)
Williams takes Maureen McDonnell on a $15,000 clothing shopping trip in New York City.

May 23, 2011
Williams writes a $15,000 check from his family trust for catering at Cailin McDonnell's wedding. Williams writes a second $50,000 check from the trust made out to Maureen McDonnell. McDonnell later says the catering was a gift to Cailin and the $50,000 was a loan.

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Ex-Va. governor McDonnell, wife charged in gift scandal
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:08:27 pm »
McDonnell's scandals had a LOT to do with Ken C losing his race for governor - that and the huge influx of Democrats into northern VA to work in DC.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:09:28 pm »
This is the tip of the iceberg..... more shoes to drop re: McDonnell's dealings in VA
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:17:24 pm »
Wow! Flowers and I were just seconds apart in posting this story.

Recommend to the mods they either be combined or mine be deleted as hers was first (this time Flowers, but I will get you yet).
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:19:35 pm »
Maybe I missed it. But, I don't see McDonnell's political affiliation anywhere in the stories. Is he a Democrat or Republican?

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 09:23:19 pm »
McDonnell, a Republican

My post, now listed as reply #1.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 09:28:20 pm »
Got it. Thanks, Cincy.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 09:28:27 pm »
Maybe I missed it. But, I don't see McDonnell's political affiliation anywhere in the stories. Is he a Democrat or Republican?

A Republican who bent over backwards to pretend he was not a Republican, he invited Christie in to campaign when he was running and specifically said he did not want any conservatives to campaign for him in the state. He was also one of the main people Christie asked to go up to NJ and campaign for him... they have been very tight politically, but McDonnell became mired in scandals the last year or so and it was so bad Ken C. could not call on the traditional VA GOP machine to help him with his own campaign for Governor... which hurt him with the GOTV effort. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:52:08 pm »
Wow! Flowers and I were just seconds apart in posting this story.

Recommend to the mods they either be combined or mine be deleted as hers was first (this time Flowers, but I will get you yet).
:laugh:

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 09:55:11 pm »
Strange they didn't say R right away in this scandal. I had to look it up. Usually means D by the name.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 11:22:38 pm »
Strange they didn't say R right away in this scandal. I had to look it up. Usually means D by the name.

Same thing I thought. Usually Republican is bold in the headline!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 11:29:24 pm »
You can tell an election is approaching since the feds will start indicting Republicans (legit or not) so they can bring back the "culture of corruption" charge.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton