Author Topic: Sam Berns, Boy With 'Aging Disease' Progeria, Dies at 17  (Read 1750 times)

Offline happyg

Sam Berns, Boy With 'Aging Disease' Progeria, Dies at 17
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:12:56 am »
By GILLIAN MOHNEY
Sam Berns died Friday from complications of the disease. Progeria is a fatal genetic condition that causes rapid aging.

He was diagnosed at just 22 months old. His parents, Dr. Leslie Gordon and Dr. Scott Berns, reacted to his diagnosis by creating the Progeria Research Foundation in 1999 to find the cause of the disease and a cure.

The foundation announced Sam's death in an online statement today.

"The entire [Progeria Research Foundation] community mourns the loss of this remarkable young man who not only inspired [Progeria Research Foundation]'s creation, but also touched millions of people worldwide," read the statement.

The disease is extremely rare, affecting approximately one child out of every 1 million to 2 million births, with an estimated 250 children suffering from the disease worldwide.

In an interview with ABC News last year, Sam said he hoped his mother would one day be able to stop researching.

"I kind of just want my mom to be done with progeria for her sake, because my mom will keep working forever until progeria is cured," he said.

After Sam was diagnosed, Leslie Gordon started to research the disease and found the gene that carried the disease and the abnormal protein that is higher in children with Progeria.

Clinical trials for a drug usually used to treat cancer appeared to show promise slowing down the aging process in progeria patients.

The Triumph of Sam Berns, Progeria and Math

However, Gordon was simply trying to save her son and others with his condition.

"He gets off the bus, it's a moment. And I treasure it," Leslie Gordon told ABC News last year. "Every moment in and of itself is special to me."

Last year Sam was the subject of an HBO documentary called "Life According to Sam," in which filmmakers followed his life and his parents' research for three years.

After the documentary, Sam was able to raise awareness about the disease and participated in a TED Talk last year about old medications for new diseases.

He also became close with Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft, who said in a statement today: "Words cannot express the sadness or the depth of sympathy I feel for [his family] today."

One Family's Fight Against Progeria

Kraft said he had planned on asking Sam if he wanted to be honorary captain of an upcoming Patriots game, when he heard he had died.

"I loved Sam Berns and am richer for having known him. He was a special young man whose inspirational story and positive outlook on life touched my heart," Kraft said.

While most children with the disease are expected to live only until age 13, Sam Berns turned 17 last year.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/sam-berns-boy-aging-disease-progeria-dies-17/story?id=21499994

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Sam Berns, Boy With 'Aging Disease' Progeria, Dies at 17
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:32:48 am »
RIP
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:03:57 am »
God can be cruel.

I'm not going to get into a theological debate, but God didn't do it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:35:56 pm »
I'm not going to get into a theological debate, but God didn't do it.

Thank you.  To the point, and loaded with truth.

HE didn't.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:52:53 pm »
I'm sure He'd gotten credit for curing the kid though.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 02:59:10 pm »
Everything I've heard about this kid was that he never felt sorry for himself - he was a remarkable person.  I think he would be the last person to blame God for his disease.  We could all learn a lot from him. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:11:37 pm »
I'm sure He'd gotten credit for curing the kid though.

Well, yes. 

If God had chosen to miraculously heal him of a disease that was the result of living in a fallen world, due to the choices of human beings, then He would have gotten credit.

That would also have been the truth.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:15:11 pm »
Everything I've heard about this kid was that he never felt sorry for himself - he was a remarkable person.  I think he would be the last person to blame God for his disease.  We could all learn a lot from him.

The bottom line here, alice......

This kid led a remarkable life.  He understood his condition, but also understood that he could do many things in life, in spite of it.

He didn't feel sorry for himself.  He didn't blame anyone.

So, attempts to distract from the point, notwithstanding, he deserves our thanks for being an example.  We gripe at little ailments and setbacks, and Sam, in spite of massive physical problems, lived life to the fullest.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:44 pm »
From the FB timeline of a friend (A in this post). I edited the names out for privacy sake:

H: My fiance is one of his teachers. He was a remarkable person who made a huge positive impact on everyone he interacted with.
January 11 at 10:37pm · Like · 1

M: RIP, young man. You've been an inspiration to us all, keeping a positive outlook on life even with all your struggles.
January 11 at 10:46pm · Like · 1

A: H, please tell your fiance I'm sorry for his (and your) loss. As a teacher, and as one of Sam's many fans.
January 11 at 10:49pm · Like
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 03:59:48 pm »
God works in mysterious ways.  Sam Berns showed us how to handle adversity with dignity and grace - and how to see good in what we might think is bad.  How to always look forward and surround yourself with good things and not dwell on the bad stuff.

I don't think we were put here on this earth to live a fairy tale life.  I don't think God is a fairy godmother that grants our every wish.  I think we were put here to learn how to deal with real life and become stronger for it - to look past our own suffering and see the suffering of others...and to try to help our fellow man.  Only when we do that, will we learn to transcend our own suffering and discover the real meaning of life.

I think Sam Berns learned well.  RIP Sam, you accomplished much during your short life. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 04:09:40 pm »

God works in mysterious ways.  Sam Berns showed us how to handle adversity with dignity and grace - and how to see good in what we might think is bad.  How to always look forward and surround yourself with good things and not dwell on the bad stuff.

I don't think we were put here on this earth to live a fairy tale life.  I don't think God is a fairy godmother that grants our every wish.  I think we were put here to learn how to deal with real life and become stronger for it - to look past our own suffering and see the suffering of others...and to try to help our fellow man.  Only when we do that, will we learn to transcend our own suffering and discover the real meaning of life.

I think Sam Berns learned well.  RIP Sam, you accomplished much during your short life.

goopo

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 07:12:49 pm »
Well, hot flap doodle, I want that press agent!

All you need to do is go back to what you already know about God, His creation, sin, miracles and truth, readily available to you in Scripture.

I haven't said anything here that you don't already understand............ your cynicism notwithstanding.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 07:17:13 pm »
Well, hot flap doodle, I want that press agent!

God chose a different path.

Sam Berns testified with his life. He had a shitty life. Yet he was usually cheerful and upbeat about it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink