Author Topic: An astonishing, dangerous cold snap is about to descend on the U.S.  (Read 3723 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
An astonishing, dangerous cold snap is about to descend on the U.S.
by Jason Samewow

For days, it’s appeared on computer model maps in the form of deep blue and purple shades. Now it’s about to get real and up close and personal. Some of the coldest air in years, if not decades, is poised to pour into the U.S., with mind-boggling low temperatures.

Basically a large whirlpool in the atmosphere originating at the north pole – in geek speak known as the polar vortex – is diving into the Lower 48.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/01/03/an-astonishing-dangerous-cold-snap-is-about-to-descend-on-the-u-s/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: An astonishing, dangerous cold snap is about to descend on the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:35:59 am »
Complement to original post:

Headline:
Record Breaking Polar Air Will Invade Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia

Details show this cold front will affect more than just those 3 states but that's how the headline reads.

Records will be challenged, if not broken Monday and Tuesday as a polar vortex dives south across central and eastern United States and sets up squarely over the Ohio River Valley.  This next storm system will be some of the worst weather, in regards to the temperatures, that we have seen in more than 5 years.  Some of the records for Tuesday have been in place for more than 60 years and in some cases over 100 years!

FLASH FREEZE:  A dramatic warm up will occur Saturday and Sunday across Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia with temperatures warming into the 40s and some highs on Sunday near 50 degrees.  This warm air will be detrimental to the dangerous travel conditions that will set up later on in the evening.  The storm system will begin as rain for 2 to 3 hours at best and rapidly change over to snow.  The rain will make the ground saturated and that layer of water will freeze rapidly.  This is called a "flash freeze" and is one of the most dangerous setups for anyone traveling across the region. 

BLOWING SNOW:  After the layer of rain freezes, we will see snow falling on top of it and it will start to pile up across the area.  The general problem with this polar vortex dropping into the region will be the dramatic differences in temperature and that will add to the increased wind potential.  All of this combined, we will see blowing snow.  The blowing snow will cause reduced visibility and snow drifts.  Snow totals will range from 2 to 6 inches across the area with the highest totals in the higher elevations and on the northwest facing slopes.

ARCTIC/POLAR AIR:  The air that we will be experiencing doesn't normally come this far south.  There's an area of high pressure across Greenland that is blocking the cold air from *normally* circling the North Pole.  Since it is a very strong area of high pressure, it's driving the Siberian cold down across the lower 48 and that will park right over the Ohio River Valley.  This air won't moderate or leave the area until later in the day Wednesday/Thursday.

100 YEAR RECORD:  The forecasted lows will break the record in Beckley of -4 which has stood for 102 years on Tuesday.  The records in Huntington of -2 and Charleston of -3 have stood for 64 years and are expected to be broken as well.

WIND CHILL:  Monday night through Tuesday morning we will experience some of the worst wind chill readings that we've seen in nearly 5 years.  Wind chills across the Kanawha and Ohio River Valley can be expected around -20 degrees.  Some of the lowest wind chill values are forecasted at our highest elevation points and Snowshoe is expected to see -40!

DEADLY TO ALL:  The temperatures in the sub-zero range, combined with the winds will make for a deadly combination.  People need to be checked on regularly, especially your elderly neighbors and children do not need to be outside for an extended period of time..if at all.  All skin needs to be covered because exposed areas can be subject to hypothermia and frost bite.  Pets and livestock will be very vulnerable to the elements because these are not temperatures normally experienced by animals in this region.  Livestock will need to be regularly checked and brought into barns if possible.  Dogs and cats will need to be moved inside.

http://www.wowktv.com/story/24355943/record-breaking-polar-air-will-impact-ohio-valley

This will directly impact a number of our good friends on here. I wish them well and they will be in my prayers.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:36:48 am »
Damn that global warming.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:37:25 am »
Minnesota's governor has closed all public schools on Monday since they are calling for about -20 with a windchill of around -50 to -60.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 02:55:48 am »
The San Francisco/Green Bay game Sunday could become the coldest game ever.  Brutal on both teams...whoever wins will pay a physical price from playing in that cold.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 02:59:42 am »
The San Francisco/Green Bay game Sunday could become the coldest game ever.  Brutal on both teams...whoever wins will pay a physical price from playing in that cold.

Rogers' collarbone will have to be aching like hell.

Was wondering....why doesn't a football player have trainers apply those 3 hour heating pads to their torso...all sides.

Hell, why not put them all over their body?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:00:48 am »
Damn that global warming.

my thoughts as well.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 03:02:38 am »
Well they are saying our wind chills should be about -30....and now in the forecast is 8 more inches of snow on top of the 4 already on the ground...I want to slap the shit out of algore...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:03:18 am »

Horse hockey.  Football is supposed to be played in that kind of weather.  It used to be called "separating the men from the boys", only today we do that with a crowbar......

:beer:

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:05:13 am »

Call me a wimp but I believe they should cancel that game and move it elsewhere. Too dangerous for the players.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 03:13:11 am »
The forecast here is for -2 on Tuesday ... for the high temperature.
It's been worse. I remember standing at a bus stop one morning in Pittsburgh in January 1994 when the temperature (not the wind chill) was -23.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:15:41 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:25:29 am »
The forecast here is for -2 on Tuesday ... for the high temperature.
It's been worse. I remember standing at a bus stop one morning in Pittsburgh in January 1994 when the temperature (not the wind chill) was -23.

I was trying to remember the last time our actual temperature had gotten down to -20 (forecast for Tuesday).

I didn't think it had ever been down that low here, but maybe we were that cold in 94 too.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline happyg

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 03:29:11 am »
Complement to original post:

Headline:
Details show this cold front will affect more than just those 3 states but that's how the headline reads.

http://www.wowktv.com/story/24355943/record-breaking-polar-air-will-impact-ohio-valley

This will directly impact a number of our good friends on here. I wish them well and they will be in my prayers.

I had to go out today, and was getting ready to leave when my son showed up. He gave me hell for going out, and drove me to where I had to go. He then took me to lunch. My car is in the garage, so I didn't think the cold would bother me. He said a couple deep breaths of that frigid air could cause damage. I imagine the football players sucked in a lot of even colder air, and hope they all are OK.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 03:34:37 am »
I had to go out today, and was getting ready to leave when my son showed up. He gave me hell for going out, and drove me to where I had to go. He then took me to lunch. My car is in the garage, so I didn't think the cold would bother me. He said a couple deep breaths of that frigid air could cause damage. I imagine the football players sucked in a lot of even colder air, and hope they all are OK.

Make sure you stay inside Monday and Tuesday, happy!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline happyg

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:28 am »
Make sure you stay inside Monday and Tuesday, happy!

I have an appointment Monday, but will most likely cancel it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 03:41:48 am »
I have an appointment Monday, but will most likely cancel it.

It might be cancelled for you, depending on how cold it actually gets.

Our forecast for Monday now says -20, and a lot of people close their offices when it's "warmer" than that.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 03:46:53 am »
Horse hockey.  Football is supposed to be played in that kind of weather.  It used to be called "separating the men from the boys", only today we do that with a crowbar......

:beer:

No it's not.  It's foolish, stupid, and dangerous to expose human beings to that kind of cold for three hours.

And the game won't be much to see.  Lots of mistakes.  The winner will be lucky.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 03:56:05 am »
No it's not.  It's foolish, stupid, and dangerous to expose human beings to that kind of cold for three hours.

And the game won't be much to see.  Lots of mistakes.  The winner will be lucky.

Dangerous especially for the guys on the sidelines (some of whom will stupidly expose their bare arms to the cold), and for the fans as well.

Rush was taking the macho position on this today too, but I agree with you.

It's not manly.  It's dumb.

And it makes for lousy football when the ball is like a rock, the receivers can't catch it, and the quarterback can't throw it.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 04:14:12 am »
I dread this.  It's 15o outside right now and I'm freezing to death.  It's supposed to get down to -4 on Monday night.  I know some of you are enduring much much worse - but we're not used to that kind of cold here.  Praying for everyone to be able to stay inside and their pets too. 

888catbed
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 04:15:44 am »
I dread this.  It's 15o outside right now and I'm freezing to death.  It's supposed to get down to -4 on Monday night.  I know some of you are enduring much much worse - but we're not used to that kind of cold here.  Praying for everyone to be able to stay inside and their pets too. 

888catbed

Pets are a very real concern in these cold temps.  People need to be very careful.

Offline happyg

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 04:25:16 am »
Pets are a very real concern in these cold temps.  People need to be very careful.

The cats wanted out.  I got tired of Niall's meowing, so I dug a 4' clearing outside the patio doors, and let them have at it. They were back in almost as fast as I closed the door.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 04:37:35 am »
The cats wanted out.  I got tired of Niall's meowing, so I dug a 4' clearing outside the patio doors, and let them have at it. They were back in almost as fast as I closed the door.

Blowsy snow and very cold here last night and my dog Soxy was nowhere to be found.  I went out several times through the night to call for him, but gave up when I saw no dog tracks to his doghouse where he loves to sleep in the cedar shavings we piled in there for him.  This morning I woke up to find him sitting in the driveway looking bored.  He was fine and still wouldn't come in.

Tonight when I got home, as usual, he saw me about a half mile from the house and "escorted" me home.  He was running fast and then when I pulled in the driveway he was just running around the yard like crazy - back and forth - just having a big old time!  About an hour later, I went out & he emerged from his house all stretchy and sleepy.  He came right in tonight - sleeping on his blanket on the couch now.

I can always foretell the weather by watching Soxy.  He knows.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 04:38:57 am »
Tonight Jan 3  Partly Cloudy 56°F Observed High 4:05 pm
39°F
Partly Cloudy   Chance of precip: 10%  Wind: S at 11 mph  Details   Sat Jan 4  Partly Cloudy / Wind 68°
41°
Partly Cloudy / Wind   Chance of rain: 0%  Wind: SSW at 22 mph  Details   Sun Jan 5  Partly Cloudy / Wind 48°
24°
Partly Cloudy / Wind   Chance of rain: 10%  Wind: N at 19 mph  Details   Mon Jan 6  Mostly Cloudy 42°
20°
Mostly Cloudy   Chance of rain: 10%  Wind: NNE at 12 mph
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 04:44:04 am »
Blowsy snow and very cold here last night and my dog Soxy was nowhere to be found.  I went out several times through the night to call for him, but gave up when I saw no dog tracks to his doghouse where he loves to sleep in the cedar shavings we piled in there for him.  This morning I woke up to find him sitting in the driveway looking bored.  He was fine and still wouldn't come in.

Tonight when I got home, as usual, he saw me about a half mile from the house and "escorted" me home.  He was running fast and then when I pulled in the driveway he was just running around the yard like crazy - back and forth - just having a big old time!  About an hour later, I went out & he emerged from his house all stretchy and sleepy.  He came right in tonight - sleeping on his blanket on the couch now.

I can always foretell the weather by watching Soxy.  He knows.

~LOL~ my two wimpy girls who can get on the bed have been sleeping as close as they can and we are only dropping down in the low 40's at night.  Daisy has on "jammies" and sleeps in her bed with a nice comfy blanket. She's been burrowing down into her blanket just as snug as can be....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 04:53:06 am »
Protect your pets folks.  Even "outside" animals should not be outside in sub-zero cold.  Lots of cattle will die in this cold. Squirrels. 

I'm a wimp when it comes to animals.  We're only getting down to 16 on Tuesday night.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.