Author Topic: An astonishing, dangerous cold snap is about to descend on the U.S.  (Read 3674 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: An astonishing, dangerous cold snap is about to descend on the U.S.
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 04:58:19 am »
~LOL~ my two wimpy girls who can get on the bed have been sleeping as close as they can and we are only dropping down in the low 40's at night.  Daisy has on "jammies" and sleeps in her bed with a nice comfy blanket. She's been burrowing down into her blanket just as snug as can be....

I love watching my pets sleep - just want to crawl in there with them.  I have three cats on my lap right now, the three tabbies.  Makes it kind of tricky to type on the keyboard, but they are nice little furry heaters!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 05:01:42 am »
I love watching my pets sleep - just want to crawl in there with them.  I have three cats on my lap right now, the three tabbies.  Makes it kind of tricky to type on the keyboard, but they are nice little furry heaters!

~LOL~ I have one asleep hanging over the arm of a chair and another on the rug next to my desk.. I assume Daisy is in her bed... she likes comfort on those old bones.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 05:06:18 am »
I enjoyed watching my two dogs sniffing their way around my big backyard today in a picture perfect 65 degree day in Vegas.  I really thought how lucky they were to be able to do that on January 3rd when so much of the country is beginning to experience the Hellish cold.  If dogs could have a thankful journal, I'd have made them write something in it!
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 05:17:26 am »
I enjoyed watching my two dogs sniffing their way around my big backyard today in a picture perfect 65 degree day in Vegas.  I really thought how lucky they were to be able to do that on January 3rd when so much of the country is beginning to experience the Hellish cold.  If dogs could have a thankful journal, I'd have made them write something in it!

65 degrees....you lucky dog!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 05:53:49 am »
65 degrees....you lucky dog!

It was 73 here today.  Gorgeous, no wind, the sun felt great!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 06:01:40 am »
It was 73 here today.  Gorgeous, no wind, the sun felt great!

I scraped ice off my windshield today and my husband's car doors were frozen shut!

8888crybaby

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, 06:02:35 am »
Yes, completely calm, no wind.  I know how lucky we are here after 50 years in Washington (state).  Chamber of Commerce day throughout the southwest today.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2014, 06:18:44 am »
Yes, completely calm, no wind.  I know how lucky we are here after 50 years in Washington (state).  Chamber of Commerce day throughout the southwest today.

The news said we "may" get some rain later in the week.

Offline happyg

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2014, 06:23:08 am »
I scraped ice off my windshield today and my husband's car doors were frozen shut!

8888crybaby

Around 10 years ago, we had a bad ice storm. All the car doors and windows were frozen tight. I had a 1991 Red Taurus then, and did everything I could think of to get my car door open. I even carried a spray can of stuff that thaws ice. After freezing my butt off, I decided to call for help. While on my phone, I noticed a red Taurus in front of me. I had been trying to get in the wrong car! Someone was very grateful when they got to their car, and it was already de-iced!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2014, 06:25:24 am »
Around 10 years ago, we had a bad ice storm. All the car doors and windows were frozen tight. I had a 1991 Red Taurus then, and did everything I could think of to get my car door open. I even carried a spray can of stuff that thaws ice. After freezing my butt off, I decided to call for help. While on my phone, I noticed a red Taurus in front of me. I had been trying to get in the wrong car! Someone was very grateful when they got to their car, and it was already de-iced!

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2014, 06:26:52 am »
Sixty-nine degrees with a slight breeze in Ft. Lauderdale.

Eat your hearts out Yankees.

If anyone wonders what December is like in Ft. Lauderdale, here's a video of Steven Spielberg's yacht leaving the marina December last year.

Yes, it's all that.

Yes, I'm rubbing it in.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:41:45 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline happyg

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2014, 06:33:55 am »

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

I can laugh now, but back then, I was actually crying from frustration. Who would expect two identical Taurus parked next to each other.

I have a 2011 grey Focus, and there are one heckuva lot of them around, and they all park near me. I did learn to check the license plates. One time, I did go up to the wrong car, but noticed the interior was different. I have leather seats, that most don't have.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2014, 06:37:25 am »
The San Francisco/Green Bay game Sunday could become the coldest game ever.  Brutal on both teams...whoever wins will pay a physical price from playing in that cold.

Call me a wimp but I believe they should cancel that game and move it elsewhere. Too dangerous for the players.

I agree.  It will be like playing on concrete.  It's uncalled for....especially when you see how the league has gone far in penalizing players for certain tackles, etc..

They are putting all the players at risk.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2014, 06:37:32 am »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 06:38:58 am »
LOL!   This from a girl in Arizona!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2014, 06:39:44 am »
LOL!   This from a girl in Arizona!    :laugh:

Anything under 80 is cold.