Author Topic: MSNBC 'White Privilege' Definition: Black People Use Public Transportation, White People Want Cheap Gas  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Public transportation = government $$$ = doesn't matter what the gas costs, the taxpayer subsidized money tree never runs out.

I don't see a thing wrong with public transportation. I generally tend support taxes that impact my immediate surroundings over Federal taxes.

Local taxes that maintain my parks, my streets, my schools and public transportation are visible proof that my taxes are at work bettering the place where I live.

Federal taxes however, don't give me warm fuzzies.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

Public transportation = government $$$ = doesn't matter what the gas costs, the taxpayer subsidized money tree never runs out.

True, but given that public transportation is not going away completely, it's better to have cheap gas rather than expensive gas because it reduces the cost to the taxpayer even if the level of service remains the same.

Offline olde north church

True, but given that public transportation is not going away completely, it's better to have cheap gas rather than expensive gas because it reduces the cost to the taxpayer even if the level of service remains the same.

I'm from the sticks, yeah, NJ had them when I grew up.  The nearest "big city", population about 20,000 was about 30 minutes away through back country roads or a state hwy about 15 minutes away then 15 minutes that way.  3 buses per day, morning, noon and night bus.
I'm going to worry about someone walking 5 blocks in a city to get to work?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline happyg

All the large grocery stores left the inner city because of robberies and trashing of their businesses. There is a Save-a-Lot who has small bars around the doors so the carts won't fit through. You have to carry your groceries to the cars. I don't go there because of the guys who hang around. Other stores have poles on them so they can't leave the store. How can you help people like that?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
All the large grocery stores left the inner city because of robberies and trashing of their businesses. There is a Save-a-Lot who has small bars around the doors so the carts won't fit through. You have to carry your groceries to the cars. I don't go there because of the guys who hang around. Other stores have poles on them so they can't leave the store. How can you help people like that?

Often thought there is a market for a warehouse store in inner cities. Don't know if you have them - we have one here called Argos (it deals consumer goods, not food). You fill in a slip from the catalogue, go to the desk and pay - the till contains a small amount of change, all notes immediately are sent to the office - then your order comes down a conveyor and you pick it up and take it out yourself.

They are popular here in high crime areas, because they can't be robbed or shoplifted from, they have heavy security and they are invariably extremely well lit and busy.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink