Author Topic: MSNBC’s Dyson: Men Loving Jesus More Than Women ‘Sounds Interestingly Homoerotic’  (Read 1619 times)

Offline flowers

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/12/24/msnbc-s-dyson-men-loving-jesus-more-women-sounds-interestingly-homoer

MICHAEL ERIC DYSON: Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity and the rest of those folks ought to be ashamed of themselves. And gay, lesbian, transgender, and bisexual people ought to speak up and link their own fate to African-American people because ultimately we’re in the thing together.

JOY REID, SUBSTITUTE HOST: But what do you think of this attempt to recruit essentially Rosa Parks?

DYSON: Oh my God.

REID: Because this is something that has been done before on the Right.

DYSON: Right. Right.

REID: Like in anytime that something they say is taking as offensive by African-Americans or taken as offensive by the LGBT community…

DYSON: Right.

REID: …you get, “Well, Martin Luther King, Jr. would’ve been on our side…

DYSON: Right.

REID: . …or Rosa Parks or, you know, Phil Robertson is the next Rosa Parks.” What do you think of that as a tactic?

DYSON: I mean it’s -- well, first of all, it’s scurrilous, but it’s the same as using Jesus in making Jesus co-sign all of this bigotry here. Jesus was a Jew who, around whom a religion was made. So the anti-Semitism of many of the Christians is ironic to begin with.
    And then secondly, the gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual stuff - look through the Bible. There’s a lot of interesting things. The same men who will stand up in the church of all men. "I put my God, Jesus, overall women. I love him more than I love her."

Hmmm. Do you really? That sounds interestingly homoerotic to people who are outside your religious traditions. I’m not suggesting it is but I’m suggesting that there are some very interesting, subtle, narrative tensions within the Bible itself and within Christianity beyond that.

Story Continues Below Ad ↓

I’d say the idiocy on display here was astonishing, but as readers know, it’s quite commonplace on MSNBC with all the idiotic contributors and hosts that have been hired in recent years.

As for this Georgetown professor/MSNBC "political analyst," his understanding of Christianity is abysmal.

Offline GourmetDan

"I put my God, Jesus, overall women. I love him more than I love her."

Hmmm. Do you really? That sounds interestingly homoerotic to people who are outside your religious traditions. I’m not suggesting it is but I’m suggesting that there are some very interesting, subtle, narrative tensions within the Bible itself and within Christianity beyond that.

Basically, it's a misunderstanding of what love is biblically.

John 14:21 - "Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me."

Biblical love is about obedience, not eroticism.  There are many verses tying the two together...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Eros is fun.

Agape is satisfying.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Eros is fun.

Agape is satisfying.

Liberals, however, no nothing of the latter and so assume the former is all there is.

ChemicalEngineer

Dyson's e-mail address is dyson52@georgetown.edu

I enjoy writing to ivory tower intellectuals and rebutting nonsense they spew.
It's worthwhile to copy everyone in their department, to discourage them from lying and spouting
liberal extremism, intolerance, and ignorance.

For about ten years, I have had the entire Harvard Law School faculty e-mails on my hard drive.
Since then, I amassed many other departments from many other universities such that I now don't bother
storing them any more.   New ones just keep popping up, like this Dyson fellow.

You see, first liberals extol the virtues, the goodness, the wonderfulness of being *gay*, a one-word oxymoron.
Next, they make hypocrites of themselves by smearing conservatives as *gay* as they celebrate the homoeroticism
they alternately defend and then condemn.

It's very much the same as their militant defense of unlimited abortion of innocent unborn babies simultaneously with
their war on capital punishment of mass murderers, whom they defend to the life.

Many confessions have been extracted from murderers solely by sparing them the sentence of execution.  Taking that away will only make convictions of monsters more difficult, allowing some to go free and kill again and again.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I find myself liking you more and more as you post more. (Note - this doesn't mean you'll get agreement on everything!)

Sure - what is one letter or email. It'll just be ignored or discarded by some intern or secretary without ever being seen, right?

It's thinking like that that kills us. Conservatives do stand up for what they believe in - but they are generally terrible at organizing it. The left, on the other hand are very efficient at organizing and publicizing. Might be worth taking a leaf from their playbook. After all, if a tactic works, it doesn't matter who invented it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

I'm reminded of the small college near us where Mr. M formerly worked and coached track. One of his athletes complained to him about a religion professor who had told the class with no doubt whatsoever that the foot-washing described in John 13:5 really meant Jesus had homosexual relations with the disciples.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

Imagine if he said that about Mohammed..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx