Author Topic: Juan Williams: Right Wanted Bashir, Maher Fired, But ‘Cry Foul’ Over Duck Dynasty Star?  (Read 14107 times)

Offline SouthTexas

The whole comparison is ludicrous.  Bashir's was a personal attack against an individual, Robertson's was not.
Totally bogus from the get-go, as is most of Juan Williams' comments.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The whole comparison is ludicrous.  Bashir's was a personal attack against an individual, Robertson's was not.

So, in this unusual moral relativism equation of yours, the murder of one Jew is worse than the genocide of the Jewish people.

Interesting concept.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

Exactly!!!!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

So, in this unusual moral relativism equation of yours, the murder of one Jew is worse than the genocide of the Jewish people.

Interesting concept.
What's interesting (not really) is the way you twisted the poster's words.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Interesting concept.

The incitement of violence on one innocent person is always going to be worse than a thousand solicited opinions.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
What's interesting (not really) is the way you twisted the poster's words.

I drew a logical conclusion based on his premise that injury to the one is more egregious than injury to the many, which is EXACTLY what he posted. 

In his equation it would be a greater offense to accuse John Smith of being a bigot, than to paint the entire T.E.A. Party as an organization supporting bigotry because John Smith claims to belong to it. 

If that makes sense to you, that's fine. But own it.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

The incitement of violence on one innocent person is always going to be worse than a thousand solicited opinions.

The point here is that you agree with Robertson and disagree with Bashir, so nothing that can be said will change your mind.

That's fine, but it doesn't make you right and me wrong.

I disagree with both Robertson and Bashir, but I recognize both their rights to speak their minds just as I recognize the equal rights of all to raise objections and the right of the businesses involved to act in a manner they believe to be in the best interest of their enterprises.

Voices raised in protest over statements they consider to be objectionable does not constitute a violation of free speech. It is a feature of free speech rights.

Offline Cincinnatus

I haven't contradicted you because I'm bored with the absurd nature of your posts.

It was my opinion. I should know... I posted it.

You don't think that what I stated as my opinion is my opinion?

That's just your opinion.

Hey, Luis, don't for one minute think I didn't notice you only stated this hours after I had pointed out you hadn't contradicted my claim of what you were actually doing: telling the Conservatives on here HOW they think.

no one will protest one bit about his firing. Most would actually cheer the firing.

Now the only question is: why do I doubt your sincerity this time?

:happyhappy:
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline SouthTexas

Interesting concept.

Since there are no bodies laying around on either side, I think your comparison is bogus as well.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Hey, Luis, don't for one minute think I didn't notice you only stated this hours after I had pointed out you hadn't contradicted my claim of what you were actually doing: telling the Conservatives on here HOW they think.

no one will protest one bit about his firing. Most would actually cheer the firing.

Now the only question is: why do I doubt your sincerity this time?

:happyhappy:

My bad.

I'm so busy trying to have a life and a Christmas that I failed to elevate your post above family and the preparations for the celebration of the birth of Our Savior.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Since there are no bodies laying around on either side, I think your comparison is bogus as well.

I'm damned happy that you did.

Here's an even more complex notion for you all to ponder.

Of the two people that are the subject of this article and Williams' comments, one may have a true First Amendment complaint.

That would be Martin Bashir, because the subject of his tirade is a public figure and a politician, which means that an individual in Bashir's position can say damned near anything they want with a reasonable expectation of immunity.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:10:08 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline aligncare

I hope the distinction is not lost on anyone, Luis. Free speech and freedom of the press – a twofer.

Oceander

I'm damned happy that you did.

Here's an even more complex notion for you all to ponder.

Of the two people that are the subject of this article and Williams' comments, one may have a true First Amendment complaint.

That would be Martin Bashir, because the subject of his tirade is a public figure and a politician, which means that an individual in Bashir's position can say damned near anything they want with a reasonable expectation of immunity.

Immunity from whom and from what?  From being sued for defamation?  Sure.  From being fired by his employer, a private business?  No.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Immunity from whom and from what?  From being sued for defamation?  Sure.  From being fired by his employer, a private business?  No.

Yes, I should have been more precise.

The point was that a political commentator making remarks about a public figure/politician enjoys some sort of First Amendment protection, where a public figure commenting on an individual or a group of individuals does not. So while the First Amendment was present in the Bashir case, even in a casual way, there was no First Amendment issue in the Robertson case.

I found it telling that Bashir "resigned" rather than being fired, and the comments that I've read tended to be supportive of the idea that MSNBC "herded" (for lack of a better word) Bashir toward resignation under advise of counsel. Better to face no litigation at all than litigation that you can win.

That was however simply lawyers speculating.