Author Topic: Juan Williams: Right Wanted Bashir, Maher Fired, But ‘Cry Foul’ Over Duck Dynasty Star?  (Read 14108 times)

Offline GourmetDan

The fact that many people don't like the idea that expressing one's religious beliefs can get you fired may be at the root of this thing, but as an employer, I want to retain the right to do that if that employee does it while representing my company

You seem to have overlooked one very important group... your customers.

Without them, you have no company...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Who is guilty of duplicity here?

A&E for signing Robertson on, or Robertson for accepting money and a job from a well-known liberal network?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

*Sigh*    Once more with feeling...  this is more than about an employer firing someone for voicing their opinion. 

People in this country are sick and tired of being told what is considered to be acceptable thought in this country, and what isn't.  This doesn't have anything to do with being fired--this is about people resent being punished as bigots.   Which is maybe why this and this have been reported in the last 24 hours alone. 

*sigh*

No, it's not.  It's about certain people bitching about the fact that a private business chose to do what it was free to do simply because they don't like the result.

Oceander

nice nonsequitur.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

I love the free market.

It's my right to make decisions about my company, either right ones or wrong ones.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline GourmetDan

Who is guilty of duplicity here?

A&E for signing Robertson on, or Robertson for accepting money and a job from a well-known liberal network?

Obviously the network for feigning 'surprise' at Robertson's stance...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

I love the free market.

It's my right to make decisions about my company, either right ones or wrong ones.

I do too.  Companies that make bad decisions go away.

Duck Commander will thrive and A & E will go bye-bye...

Oceander

No one's guilty of any duplicity.  If anything, Robertson is because he knowingly signed a contract in which he promised not to do certain things - the so-called morals clause - and then went ahead anyways and broke that promise.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Read more on the subject that's what's being reported on WND.

According to industry publications, the network wasn't surprised.

Offline GourmetDan

Read more on the subject that's what's being reported on WND.

According to industry publications, the network wasn't surprised.

Great, they did it on purpose...

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I do too.  Companies that make bad decisions go away.

Duck Commander will thrive and A & E will go bye-bye...

I wouldn't bet on that.

It presupposes that A&E only exists because of Duck Dynasty, but the network pre-existed the show.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Great, they did it on purpose...

Yes, they did.

They made a lot of money on the show, and now they're done with it.

Oceander

I wouldn't bet on that.

It presupposes that A&E only exists because of Duck Dynasty, but the network pre-existed the show.

A&E isn't going to go away in any event because it isn't a one-horse-wonder.  Duck Dynasty is merely one of many programs A&E has, so the loss of one is unlikely to result in the company's demise.

Offline GourmetDan

I wouldn't bet on that.

I would.  Pre-existence is irrelevant when you piss-off your customers...

Offline GourmetDan

A&E isn't going to go away in any event because it isn't a one-horse-wonder.  Duck Dynasty is merely one of many programs A&E has, so the loss of one is unlikely to result in the company's demise.

It's not about Duck Dynasty.

It's about A & E's viewers, also known as customers to advertisers...

Oceander

A&E's viewers aren't going away either.  Do you really think that most of A&E's viewer base consists of Phil Robertson's loyal fans?

Oceander

I'd gladly take that bet because it's a foregone conclusion that I'd win.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

A&E Television Networks (AETN) owns and operates a portfolio of ten cable TV channels, including Lifetime Television, the flagship network of AETN subsidiary Lifetime Entertainment that targets women with a variety of lifestyle and entertainment content. Its A&E network offers a mix of reality-based programming and documentaries, while its HISTORY channel airs original programs on historical topics. The company also operates sister networks such as Crime & Investigation Network and The Biography Channel. AETN is a joint venture between Hearst Corporation and The Walt Disney Company.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/47/47295.html

A&E will survive.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
A&E will survive.

There's any doubt about that? Of course they will. Most folks turn on the telly of an evening to find something fun and interesting to watch. They don't turn on the telly to make a statement (News channels excepted).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline olde north church

Then one must wonder what percentage of duck hunters or deer hunters are homosexual?  What percentage of those homosexuals will continue to purchase Duck Commander products?
I'm not a duck hunter or hunter of any type for that matter but I fish when time allows.  You know how many people I fished with are homosexuals?  I couldn't tell you because the topic never comes up.
I will say this about homosexuals I have known, their homosexuality is always front and center.  It is how they define themselves.  Perhaps that only applies to those I have known and I haven't known many who are openly homosexual.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline GourmetDan

A&E's viewers aren't going away either.  Do you really think that most of A&E's viewer base consists of Phil Robertson's loyal fans?

Cracker Barrel sure did a 180, didn't they...

Offline GourmetDan

A&E will survive.

In some form, probably.

It won't be anything to be cheering about though...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I will say this about homosexuals I have known, their homosexuality is always front and center.  It is how they define themselves.  Perhaps that only applies to those I have known and I haven't known many who are openly homosexual.

That is something I find sad. Defining yourself by one thing is a horrible waste of a person, and it doesn't matter what that thing is.

My experience has been the opposite. While I know several flamboyant homosexuals, they don't get in your face about it, we just laugh and joke about everything under the sun (tend to be good company, too). But most of them - being homosexual is just their preference. Not their identity.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Cracker Barrel sure did a 180, didn't they...

They have a right to make that decision and piss of the other end of the spectrum.

THAT is the point. Why do you keep missing it?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:52:56 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline GourmetDan

They have a riht to make that decision and piss of the other end of the spectrum.

THAT is the point. Why do you keep missing it?

The 'other end of the spectrum' is microscopic.

THAT is the point.  Why do you keep missing it?