Author Topic: Juan Williams: Right Wanted Bashir, Maher Fired, But ‘Cry Foul’ Over Duck Dynasty Star?  (Read 14187 times)

Oceander

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Thanks for that dose of reality!

Yeah....it was getting frustrating reading the circular argument.   And the nonsense that usually accompanies it.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Yes we have.  Liberals are just as free to demand that Robertson be removed as conservatives are to demand that Bashir and Maher be removed.  That's not a particularly controversial issue.

ROFL!!  Excuse me, but did I even address you, skip-over boy?  I NEVER pay the slightest attention to what you post or what you think, and I damned sure didn't start doing so today.   :silly:

Now, if Luis is around, I WOULD be interested in what his answer is to the question I posed to HIM.   

Offline Cincinnatus

He didn't tell anyone here - or anywhere else - what to think.

Guess again, plus you got it wrong. I didn't say he was telling what TO think but rather WHAT we think.

author=Cincinnatus link=topic=124002.msg503235#msg503235 date=1387833875
For goodness sake, don't justify your position by telling the rest of us how we think.
[emphasis added]

Btw, I only quoted the last line of his post. Just before that he said,
If Robertson's name had been Ahmed and A&E had fired as a result of pressure from women's groups after Ahmed was interviewed by GQ and in that interviewed he was extolling the values of sharia law and the treatment of women under Islamic law, no one will protest one bit about his firing. Most would actually cheer the firing.
[emphasis added]

which is exactly what I was talking about. So if you are going to pose as someone's lawyer on here, please be sure you have your facts in order.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:21:40 am by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Yeah....it was getting frustrating reading the circular argument.   And the nonsense that usually accompanies it.

Yes, I'm done here.

At the end of the day, none of this really matters one bit.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline aligncare

Are you wholly without sin?  If not, then we're equally condemned, so your apparent virtuousness does you nothing.  If we're all condemned to death in any event because we're all sinners, then I'd prefer to enjoy the company of decent people whose decency outweighs whatever sins they're going to die for.  Cutting yourself off from otherwise decent companions even though that won't change your fate - death - one whit seems rather short-sighted and stupid to me.

Very nice post, Ocean.

Imperfection is part of being human, right out of the gate. Nuns taught me that. All we can do is strive to be better people.  Phelps is wrong, God doesn't hate homosexuals. After all, He created the biological mechanism that made them.

Offline DCPatriot

Yes, I'm done here.

At the end of the day, none of this really matters one bit.

Merry Christmas, Luis!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

That's why there's no honest disagreement with a true believing Leftist. They do not see you as merely mistaken, but as evil, even as the psychological process of projection makes them assign their anger and hostile intent to you.

Yikes! Haven't you noticed how many people on conservative fora (thanks, Ocean, for fora) say that Obama is evil? I don't think liberals have a corner on that market.

Offline DCPatriot

Yikes! Haven't you noticed how many people on conservative fora (thanks, Ocean, for fora) say that Obama is evil? I don't think liberals have a corner on that market.

You're damned right Obama is evil!      :patriot:

what do you call him?    Misguided?  Incompetent?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:24:29 am by DCPatriot »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Are you wholly without sin?  If not, then we're equally condemned, so your apparent virtuousness does you nothing.  If we're all condemned to death in any event because we're all sinners, then I'd prefer to enjoy the company of decent people whose decency outweighs whatever sins they're going to die for.  Cutting yourself off from otherwise decent companions even though that won't change your fate - death - one whit seems rather short-sighted and stupid to me.

They say there's a heaven for those who will wait.
Some say it's better, but I say it ain't.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints,
the sinners are much more fun.
You know that only the good die young.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

Guess again, plus you got it wrong. I didn't say he was telling what TO think but rather WHAT we think.

/snicker

He didn't even do that; he merely stated his own private opinion of what he thought you probably thought.  Some remedial English might be in order under your tree, or in your stocking.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Disney (A&E parent company) stock value in the five days since the Duck Dynasty flap erupted:

Offline Cincinnatus

Leaving aside the childish "/snicker" it appears you have it pretty much ass backward.

He didn't even do that; he merely stated his own private opinion of what he thought you probably thought.  Some remedial English might be in order under your tree, or in your stocking.

A statement like this: If Robertson's name had been Ahmed and A&E had fired as a result of pressure from women's groups after Ahmed was interviewed by GQ and in that interviewed he was extolling the values of sharia law and the treatment of women under Islamic law, no one will protest one bit about his firing. Most would actually cheer the firing. pretty clearly shows he is telling some of us HOW we think.

Did you even notice your client Luis did not even contradict me, only you did? Does that possibly tell you something?

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Oceander

Leaving aside the childish "/snicker" it appears you have it pretty much ass backward.

A statement like this: If Robertson's name had been Ahmed and A&E had fired as a result of pressure from women's groups after Ahmed was interviewed by GQ and in that interviewed he was extolling the values of sharia law and the treatment of women under Islamic law, no one will protest one bit about his firing. Most would actually cheer the firing. pretty clearly shows he is telling some of us HOW we think.

Did you even notice your client Luis did not even contradict me, only you did? Does that possibly tell you something?

We seem to be talking past each other then, because I was discussing another comment entirely.  Go piss yourself if you can't follow the conversation.

Offline Cincinnatus

Nice: Go piss yourself if you can't follow the conversation.

Always a pleasure to engage with an adult.

/snicker.

And aren't you the guy who quoted me in his prior post as saying: Guess again, plus you got it wrong. I didn't say he was telling what TO think but rather WHAT we think.

Since it was to that post I responded seems to me it was I who WAS follow[ing] the conversation

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 07:03:37 am by Cincinnatus »

Offline aligncare

Mostly an incompetent ideologue, with a bunch of narcissism thrown in the mix. Also a weak knowledge base with an especially poor understanding of U.S and world history; I imagine his IQ is pretty low, too.

I'll say it again, I never ascribe to evil that which can be explained by simple minded stupidity. With Obama, there's no grain in the silo.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

I haven't contradicted you because I'm bored with the absurd nature of your posts.

It was my opinion. I should know... I posted it.

You don't think that what I stated as my opinion is my opinion?

That's just your opinion.

Offline aligncare

By the way, in my opinion Juan Williams argument is justified. Also in my opinion, Luis made the most cogent arguments in defense of his position, as did Ocean.

Offline DCPatriot

By the way, in my opinion Juan Williams argument is justified. Also in my opinion, Luis made the most cogent arguments in defense of his position, as did Ocean.

Yes....they certainly did.   :beer:

Maybe one of the two of you can address my concern, since Luis sidestepped it twice??? 

Putting aside the employment/contract issue/economic intimidation arguments, do either of you agree or disagree (or care) that this episode was one more log on the fire of our society's loss of freedom to express our opinions without fear of mockery, ridicule, isolation or other such non-economic punishments? 

Offline aligncare

... One more log. But, it's burning from both ends.

That's the gist of Williams' point. Goose/gander, pot/kettle – that old thing.

So you DO morally equate the two circumstances, severity, and the reactions or lack thereof- of the two statements?

Thanks for having the courage to admit that.  :laugh:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

As a conservative, I judge Obama by his words, attitudes, intentions, and deeds: not by his party affiliation.

And I judge him to be one evil son-of-a-bitch.

Merry Christmas.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Maybe one of the two of you can address my concern, since Luis sidestepped it twice??? 

Putting aside the employment/contract issue/economic intimidation arguments, do either of you agree or disagree (or care) that this episode was one more log on the fire of our society's loss of freedom to express our opinions without fear of mockery, ridicule, isolation or other such non-economic punishments?

There has never, in the history of all humanity, existed such a time when we have been able to express our opinions "without  fear of mockery, ridicule, isolation or other such non-economic punishments".   

Caveman #1 - We should kill mastodon. We eat many moons with meat from one.
Every other caveman in the cave - Boy! You crazy! HEY EVERYBODY! KRAG HAS GONE CRAZY! Krag is a Longisquama! Krag is a Longisquama! Krag is a Longisquama!

Charlton Heston - Give me those reins and I'll show you what's what!
Crown in coliseum - Het look! It's a Jew on a chariot! Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlton Heston - Quick everyone, make a run for the beach!
Yule Brynner - In the name of that god with a dog's head, we got the fool! He better be able to get all those people to walk on water or I'll kill them all! Idiot...

Galileo- I think the Earth is round.
The Church - HERETIC! THROW HIM IN JAIL!

Columbus - I'm going to sail West to the Indias
Everyone else in Europe - Boy! You crazy? You'll sail off the edge of the world. Lay off the port wine and get a real job.

Roddy McDowall - Ah... there was a monkey on a horse back that way telling me not to come this way.
Charlton Heston - Are you crazy? Monkeys can't talk. Hey... what's that big copper torch doing on the beach?

(Yes, I am a Charlton Heston fan)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:39:30 pm by Luis Gonzalez »