Author Topic: 11 year old told to beg for braces money now running a small business  (Read 749 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/12/10/11-year-old-told-to-beg-for-braces-money-now-running-a-small-business/

11 year old told to beg for braces money now running a small business

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM -0700

Remember Madison Root? Just a few days ago, TheBlaze was reporting on how she was told not to sell her mistletoe at the Portland Saturday Market because it violated city ordinance. When Madison explained she was doing it to pay for her braces, she was told she could beg for the money. Well, when Glenn read the story he asked the team over at The Marketplace to set the budding entrepreneur up with a place to sell her merchandise, and within an hour it was sold out. It’s amazing what can happen when people are given the ability to actually work for something, isn’t it?

Well, Madison joined Glenn’s TV show Tuesday to give an update on how business was going – and it was booming.

“We’ve employed 28 great people that really do need the work,” she told him with a smile. “There’s two homeless people that just got laid off, and we’re helping them get back up on their feet.

Not only has Madison covered the costs of her braces, she’s also using some of the money she earned to “paying for someone else’s braces.”

video at link
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: 11 year old told to beg for braces money now running a small business
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:55:22 am »
Good kid. Exactly the right mix of work ethic and compassion.

Wonder how many more there are out there that never get mentioned?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline LambChop

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:04:59 am »
Good kid. Exactly the right mix of work ethic and compassion.

Wonder how many more there are out there that never get mentioned?

My guess is more than you would think.  They just don't have a PR man for a father who manipulates the media.

Unlike this cub scout pack who raised money for charity with real hard work, no media involved in doing it.

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/lawrence-heading-alabama-kind-gift

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 07:10:35 am »
My guess is more than you would think.  They just don't have a PR man for a father who manipulates the media.

Unlike this cub scout pack who raised money for charity with real hard work, no media involved in doing it.

Thank you for that link. There are a LOT of good kids out there.

It got me thinking - I used to write an advice column. I had questions coming in from 16 year olds who were actually head of the household. Running the family, looking after their siblings and (in a lot of cases) parents, earning money while trying to pass high school and get into college. Those ones always made me sad.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 07:13:21 am »

Her father runs a software company, not a PR firm.  She has hired 28 people and bought braces for someone other than just herself.  I think it is pretty good for an 11-year-old.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 11:05:53 am »
With that kind of capitalistic success she can expect an audit from the IRS and NSA with a smear campaign to follow. :pondering: