Author Topic: Graham: Rushing to cry ‘racist’  (Read 523 times)

Offline happyg

Graham: Rushing to cry ‘racist’
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:49:48 pm »
Piling on football team latest of fouls by Michael Graham

In America, it’s almost never about race.

The current face-plant fiasco in Lunenburg is just the latest example of how wrong-headed our politicians are about race. They always do the same dance — and end up tripping over their own feet.

Step One: Someone does something that could have a racial implication (in this case, painting the “N” word on the house of a mixed-race family).

Step Two: School and town officials completely overreact, smear the high school football team as a haven of helmeted Klansmen, and cancel the rest of the season.

Step Three: The police suddenly step back, clear the football team and announce that “all the evidence points towards the house.” Then, another twist: The mom, Andrea Brazier, “is a strong suspect.”

Step Four: School officials then do the “CYA Two-Step,” insisting they were right to panic, and denying they ever intended the season-ending cancellation as a punishment of the team.

Step Five would be for the team members to get their reputations back. Alas, nobody knows those moves.

Whatever the motive — young punks trying to shock people or a mom trying to move her son to a better school, the spray-paint strategy only worked because of a widespread assumption that, yes, Lunenburg is a lair of racism.

And as in so many other cases, the assumption was wrong.

In Tennessee a few weeks ago, a black waitress claimed that a white couple wrote “None N*****” in the tip line of their receipt. The story went viral, she collected $10,000 in donations, but the couple claimed it was a hoax. They were so angry at being smeared as racists they had hand-writing analysis done and now it’s clear they didn’t write the offending word.

Soon after, a Bridgewater, N.J., waitress claimed a customer stiffed her and wrote an anti-gay message on their receipt. Once again the couple claimed it was bogus and produced a credit card receipt confirming their version of the story. The waitress was suspended from her job this week.

David Freddoso at ConservativeIntel.com has compiled a list of recent high-profile “hate crime” hoaxes, from a black prep-school student who faked racist threats in his bid for student-body president; to a Montana man who said he’d been the victim of an attack (he’d flipped and hurt his back but was embarrassed to admit it); to Oberlin College, where liberals posted vile racist and homophobic messages to (they claimed) lure out the underground racist culture.

There was none. The only vile racism came from the liberals who assumed their campus was crawling with racists.

And that’s the point. As many conservative wags have quipped, if America is so racist, why do liberals have to keep making fakes?

Why won’t liberals — media liberals in particular — admit it? Why do they insist that Massachusetts is one step from “Mississippi Burning?”

Because it feeds the race-based identity politics on which the left thrives. They don’t want young, black graduates of crappy, union-run schools who can’t find jobs to start thinking about the policies that got them there. So the party of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson lectures American on its race problem.

Is racism dead? No, but it’s on life support — as evidenced by the fact that virtually the entire town of Lunenburg showed up at a vigil for the Phillips family. The same family, it now appears, that smeared them as racists in order to get their son into the Leominster school system.

If the politicians of Lunenburg had just trusted the people a little more, this hoax would have failed.
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/opinion/op_ed/2013/12/graham_rushing_to_cry_racist

Offline Relic

Re: Graham: Rushing to cry ‘racist’
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:40:49 pm »
This will all continue, until/unless more people become like me. I am personally impervious to racism, sexism, bigot, xenophobic, homophobic, etc. charges.

I just don't care. What's more shocking to liberals, is in some cases, one or two of the charges could be true, I still don't care.

To be sure, I do care in the workplace, because it is the modern day scarlet letter. But, if more were like me, then the charges would be meaningless. If no one cared, calling someone a racist would be like calling them a Pittsburgh Steelers hater. Possibly factual, but with no real impact on anything that matters.