Author Topic: Obamacare’s Lessons in Government Failure By Mona Charen  (Read 487 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obamacare’s Lessons in Government Failure By Mona Charen
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:08:41 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/365280/print

NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE         

December 3, 2013 12:00 AM
Obamacare’s Lessons in Government Failure
Here’s hoping the rollout provokes newfound skepticism of state-run solutions.
By  Mona Charen

We conservatives are always on about the “unintended consequences” of government programs, but we didn’t expect the Obama administration and congressional Democrats to provide such a vivid object lesson. If the tipsy, teetering debut of Obamacare invites a new skepticism about the capacity of government to run things, it will be the most welcome unintended consequence since Alexander Fleming left his staphylococci samples on a work bench over summer vacation.

Government programs, after all, fail all the time, but are almost never held to account, far less held up to ridicule.

Consider education. In an era everyone keeps telling us is high-tech-centered, only about 75 percent of American students graduate from high school. In major cities, the figure is closer to 50 percent. Detroit, Education Week reports, graduates only 46 percent of students; Denver, 50 percent; Los Angeles, 52 percent; and New York City, 54 percent. As for what those diplomas signify, it varies a lot. A survey by Common Core in 2009 found that fewer than half of American high schoolers could place the Civil War in the correct half century, 25 percent thought Columbus sailed the ocean blue after 1750, and 33 percent couldn’t identify the Bill of Rights.

American students lag behind their peers in other developed nations in math, technology, and literacy. You’d think that parents, especially those in poor neighborhoods, would be in the streets protesting. You’d think that the failure of government to provide such a basic good to its citizens (particularly after demanding and getting increasing subventions year after year) would be met with at least consternation, if not outright rebellion, but no, these failing schools chug along, failing to educate, and in some cases, failing even to provide for the physical safety of their students. It is reformers who are branded as dangerous, rather than the government that permits this dereliction.

Is education too complicated and multi-factorial? If you think so, have a glance at No Excuses: Closing the Racial Gap in Learning, by Abigail and Stephan Thernstrom. In the meantime, let’s look at Medicaid, because Obamacare expands this failed program.

Deamonte Driver was a seventh-grader in Prince George’s County, Md.  who died because he couldn’t get an appointment. Avik Roy tells his story in How Medicaid Fails the Poor. When the child complained of a toothache in September, 2006, Deamonte’s mother began calling around seeking a dentist who would take a patient with Medicaid coverage. Several months and dozens of phone calls later, she finally found one who explained that her son had six abscessed teeth and required the services of an oral surgeon. This prompted another frustrating round of phone calls and several months of delay. A week before his surgery was finally scheduled, Deamonte complained of a severe headache. He was rushed to the hospital, where it was found that the infection had spread to his brain. Brain surgery revived him for a while, but he died a few weeks later.

Long wait times and poor care are not exceptions in the Medicaid program, but regular features. A recent Pediatrics study found that Medicaid/SCHIP patients were unable to get urgent dental appointments 64 percent of the time, compared with 5 percent for those with private insurance. It was similar for patients with severe asthma and juvenile diabetes. Roy highlights studies showing that patients with Medicaid coverage not only have worse health outcomes than those with private health insurance, they fare worse even than those with no health insurance at all.

Medicaid reimburses physicians at roughly half the rate of private insurance. Some liberals urge that doctors be coerced into providing care, which is the logical extension of the Obamacare cram-down model, and in fact, Obamacare adds about 17 million new enrollees to Medicaid. This will increase wait times even further and put more strain on a failing system. Roy argues Medicaid patients clog emergency rooms because they cannot get primary-care doctors to see them.

A system of catastrophic coverage combined with “concierge” service (paying physicians $80 per month to see each Medicaid patient) would cost $3,460 per person, or 42 percent less than what Obamacare proposes to spend.

“It’s not wrong to spend a large sum of money on health care for the poor,” Roy writes. “It is wrong to waste large sums of money on health care for the poor.”

Or on anything else. It’s even worse to waste large sums of money on programs that make everyone, on balance, worse off than competing arrangements would. Let’s hope that Obamacare’s troubles open people’s eyes to alternatives. We’ve tamely accepted government failure to our sorrow.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Obamacare’s Lessons in Government Failure By Mona Charen
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:37:12 pm »
“It’s not wrong to spend a large sum of money on health care for the poor,” Roy writes. “It is wrong to waste large sums of money on health care for the poor.”

There is nothing at all in Obamacare that will improve the delivery of healthCARE to the poor but  plenty in there that makes healthCARE much harder for the poor to obtain!

Having health insurance and getting healthCARE are two very different things!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slide Rule

Re: Obamacare’s Lessons in Government Failure By Mona Charen
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:34:39 pm »
Mona Charen starts her article "We Conservatives always".  This seems to be divergent from the NRO editors. Today I cancelled my over 30 year subscription to NR.

Gentlemen,

I have been a long term subscriber in excess of 30 years.  Withing the past year and recently a number of your positions vary from the reason I first, and continued to subscribe. To me it seems you have lost your way.

I am a Conservative.  I suppose that will explain why there is a divergence of opinion.

Please remit any unused subscription moneys to
 My Address

In any event, I do not wish to see your magazine.

Respectfully,

I received a timely response.

Dear Valued Customer We have received your email and it has been assigned to one of our e-commerce team members. Should we require additional information we will contact you. Otherwise please be assured that
your request will be processed in a timely fashion. Sincerely, Customer Care Department

I enjoy several contributors to NR.  But their hasty release of John Derbyshire, Advising that conservatives refrain from using the terms RINO or Establishment, and general attacks on Conservative leaders leaves me empty.

I owe much of my original concepts to NR, but the recent departure of a segment of the magazine left me no option.  I can't imagine Wm Buckley allowing such infighting.  After all he started Buck Pac to eliminate Lowell Weicker, a persistent Rino or worse.

Al
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote