Author Topic: Harry Reid may go 'nuclear' Thursday  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Harry Reid may go 'nuclear' Thursday
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 08:14:39 pm »
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/democrats-vote-curb-filibusters-appointees

snip........

The move was backed by all but three Democrats and opposed by all the Senate's Republicans. Democratic dissidents were Sens. Carl Levin of Michigan, Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Mark Pryor of Arkansas.

Pryor issued a statement saying the Senate "was designed to protect_not stamp out_the voices of the minority."

The change is the most far-reaching since 1975, when a two-thirds requirement for cutting off filibusters against legislation and all nominations was lowered to 60 votes.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 08:18:42 pm »
Democratic dissidents were Sens. Carl Levin of Michigan, Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Mark Pryor of Arkansas.

all that means is their votes weren't needed and it's their turn to be able to talk out of both sides of their mouths

Offline happyg

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 08:39:25 pm »
There's still a glimmer of hope that it might backfire. Now, republicans only need a simple majority to pass ACA. 39 have already defected.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 08:45:28 pm »

“You’ll regret this, and you may regret this a lot sooner than you think,” McConnell said on the Senate floor.

I feel like Sean Connery's character, officer Jim Malone in The Untouchables, speaking to Kevin Costner (Eliot Ness): "And what are you prepared to do about it???!!!"
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 09:01:29 pm »
There's still a glimmer of hope that it might backfire. Now, republicans only need a simple majority to pass ACA. 39 have already defected.

I think harry's action was specific to the judges

Offline flowers

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 09:07:23 pm »
Havent read all the post on this thread.......for any who think the GOP will get payback when they retake the senate........................when will that be? how many years from now? they will get all undocumented democrats for at least a generation as voters.  :chairbang:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2013, 09:09:25 pm »
 More on Senate Democrats Going Nuclear
By  Andrew C. McCarthy
November 21, 2013 1:50 PM
Comments

Print
Text 

From David’s keyboard to God’s ears. But meantime, two other quick thoughts:

1. Courts cannot function unless Congress funds them — meaning both houses of Congress approving spending on them.

2. The Constitution vests in Congress decisions about what federal circuit and district courts we need. It does not say that once courts and the judgeships on those courts are established, these must be maintained forever.

If senate rules are now to be changed on the dime by the majority, all kinds of seemingly impossible things become possible. 
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2013, 09:10:18 pm »
Democratic dissidents were Sens. Carl Levin of Michigan, Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Mark Pryor of Arkansas.

all that means is their votes weren't needed and it's their turn to be able to talk out of both sides of their mouths
That's exactly what it means. DO NOT believe any of the nonsense about Joe "Mojo" Manchin ever standing up to BHO. It's all an act.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2013, 09:11:49 pm »
Havent read all the post on this thread.......for any who think the GOP will get payback when they retake the senate........................when will that be? how many years from now? they will get all undocumented democrats for at least a generation as voters.  :chairbang:
Oh another thing for any of you who think we will re-take congress in the midterms..................no way. They stole the last re-election for him many ways, they have taken notes and will do so again for the 2014 midterms. I pray I am wrong......I seriously doubt it.  8888crybaby **nononono*

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2013, 09:18:57 pm »
Doesn't matter. If you like your filibuster, you can keep it, period

Online mountaineer

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:44 pm »
Havent read all the post on this thread ... for any who think the GOP will get payback when they retake the senate........................when will that be? how many years from now? they will get all undocumented democrats for at least a generation as voters.  :chairbang:
I fear you're right. The GOP, even if it could overcome the election fraud and hold both the House and Senate, has an annoying habit of not acting like the party in power. It's 1932, and we are Germany.

Offline flowers

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2013, 09:29:37 pm »
I fear you're right. The GOP, even if it could overcome the election fraud and hold both the House and Senate, has an annoying habit of not acting like the party in power. It's 1932, and we are Germany.
As a young flower pod I used to wonder how those in Germany got away with it? Now I know.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2013, 09:32:16 pm »
Oh another thing for any of you who think we will re-take congress in the midterms..................no way. They stole the last re-election for him many ways, they have taken notes and will do so again for the 2014 midterms. I pray I am wrong......I seriously doubt it.  8888crybaby **nononono*

Yes, it is a hard thing to stomach, and many will fight you tooth and nail on the voter fraud issue simply because it is so hard to stomach (because of the completely dark and sweeping implications of it).  But I believe that you are correct, and I also share your hope/prayer that we are both WRONG!!!

Offline collins

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2013, 09:41:39 pm »
Yes, there's no way Hairy Reed's move can be called anything but a statist power grab. I also think the GOP will keep the House but won't win the Senate next year, but in case I'm wrong about the Senate, the GOP really needs to wise up about what they're up against. The ends always justify the means to the left.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »
Harry Reid, 2005:
But now, in order to break down the separation of powers and ram through their appointees to the judicial branch, President Bush and the Republican leadership want to eliminate a two-hundred-year-old American rule saying that every member of the Senate can rise to say their piece and speak on behalf of the people that sent them here."

Barack Obama, 2005:
I rise today to urge my colleagues to think about the implications the nuclear option would have on this chamber and this country. I urge you to think not just about winning every debate, but about protecting free and democratic debate.

What they [the American people] don't expect is for one party - be it Republican or Democrat - to change the rules in the middle of the game so that they can make all the decisions while the other party is told to sit down and keep quiet

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-and-harry-reid-were-against-the-nuclear-option-before-they-were-for-it

That complete POS Obama also said today of the 60 vote requirement
today’s pattern of obstruction . . . just isn’t normal; it’s not what our founders envisioned
. This rule has been in force since 1789. The first US Congress convened in that very year. Do you suppose with Washington as President, Adams as Vice-President, and Madison in the House at that time our beloved Constitutional scholar has his head up his rectum?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2013, 10:08:23 pm »
Is there ANYONE here who actually believes O taught Constitutional law - I mean the Constitution as written, not his socialst revisionism???
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 10:14:17 pm »
I don't know about teaching but he is certainly a constitutional scholar. Just ask Joe Biden

Online mountaineer

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2013, 12:05:34 am »
Is there ANYONE here who actually believes O taught Constitutional law - I mean the Constitution as written, not his socialst revisionism???
He taught that the Constitution was a flawed document which wasn't relevant and should be discarded, and that the law is whatever the Marxists in power say it is.

That's almost like teaching Consitutional law.