Author Topic: Rand Paul On Shutdown: "Even Though It Appeared I Was Participating In It, It Was A Dumb Idea"  (Read 494 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/11/18/rand_paul_on_shutdown_even_though_it_appeared_i_was_participating_in_it_it_was_a_dumb_idea.html

Posted on November 18, 2013
Rand Paul On Shutdown: "Even Though It Appeared I Was Participating In It, It Was A Dumb Idea"

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: Senator, when Obamacare was at issue, a month ago, when it came to a continuing resolution to funding the government you supported a filibuster of other Senators, who demanded that you had to have a change or the abolition of Obamacare as a condition for funding the government. In retrospect do you think that was a good strategy? But even more importantly --looking ahead, the deadlines are coming up, the resolution's going to run out, we're going to hit the debt ceiling soon -- would you be prepared to use same tactic as we approach the new deadlines?

SEN. RAND PAUL (R-KY): Well, I said throughout the whole battle that shutting down the government was a dumb idea. Even though it did appear as if I was participating in it, I said it was a dumb idea. And the reason I voted for it, though, is that it's a conundrum. Here's the conundrum. We have a $17 trillion debt and people at home tell me you can't give the president a blank check. We just can't keep raising the debt ceiling without conditions.

So unconditionally raising the debt ceiling, nobody at home wants me to vote for that and I can't vote for that. But the conundrum is if I don't we do approach these deadlines. So there is an impasse. In 2011, though, we had this impasse and the president did negotiate. We got the sequester. If we were to extend the sequester from discretionary spending to all the entitlements we would actually fix our problem within a few years.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Of course the shutdown was a dumb idea. 

The good news is there will not be another one.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.