Author Topic: Sun Set To 'Flip Upside Down' Within Weeks  (Read 6341 times)

SPQR

Re: Sun Set To 'Flip Upside Down' Within Weeks
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 06:49:39 pm »
As far as I know, many of the large server farms are above ground.

I believe you are correct.

:beer:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:54:15 pm by SPQR »

Oceander

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 06:51:05 pm »
Peer-to-peer would also be disrupted as that operates on users' own computers, which are quite susceptible to damage of this sort.

SPQR

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 06:53:45 pm »
Peer-to-peer would also be disrupted as that operates on users' own computers, which are quite susceptible to damage of this sort.

You are right

:beer:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 06:55:10 pm »
The last time it flipped 300,000 years ago it did not have a power grid to deal with. Just imagine the world's power system going kaput all at once. From going the 21st century to horse and buggy in a matter of seconds.

How do you know that people 300,000 years ago had no power grid? 

"We" may have been more advanced than we are today.

They can't even agree when or how the pyramids were built.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:05:06 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

SPQR

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »

They can even agree when or how the pyramids were built.

The fossil record proved they did not electricity. That was invented by Faraday in 1821 through his electric motor.Michael Faraday formed the foundation of electric motor. You can argue that Thales and Benjamin Franklin and their interest in electricity
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:00:23 pm by SPQR »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 06:59:07 pm »

They can even agree when or how the pyramids were built.

Hey now.  We aren't going to stand for any of that 'roun here...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 07:06:38 pm »
The fossil record proved they did not electricity. That was invented by Faraday in 1821 through his electric motor.Michael Faraday formed the foundation of electric motor. You can argue that Thales and Benjamin Franklin and their interest in electricity

Fossil records my a$$.

Maybe they just ain't looking in the right place?

Oceans cover 2/3 of the planet's surface today.

"Today" being the key word.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 07:07:10 pm »
Hey now.  We aren't going to stand for any of that 'roun here...

:laugh:

SPQR

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 07:09:20 pm »
Fossil records my a$$.

Maybe they just ain't looking in the right place?

Oceans cover 2/3 of the planet's surface today.

"Today" being the key word.

They have pretty much have convincing evidence from the fossil record. Unless you are a creationist.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:09:42 pm by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 07:11:52 pm »

That is going to be the huge problem. The server farms themselves - assuming they are using Blade servers (which most do now), you'll notice something odd about the frame config. It is basically a giant Faraday cage already. As long as it is grounded they'll only need the breakers to be reset, a reboot and they are good to go.

Consumer electronics, on the other hand, are going to be problematic. I don't know how many of you have tried to use public wifi or video chat recently, but the signal is terrible and frequently drops, and that is only from the sun spot maximum.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 07:12:07 pm »
They have pretty much have convincing evidence from the fossil record. Unless you are a creationist.

OMG, we certainly can't have any of *those* people posting to this site...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

SPQR

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 07:14:23 pm »
That is going to be the huge problem. The server farms themselves - assuming they are using Blade servers (which most do now), you'll notice something odd about the frame config. It is basically a giant Faraday cage already. As long as it is grounded they'll only need the breakers to be reset, a reboot and they are good to go.

Consumer electronics, on the other hand, are going to be problematic. I don't know how many of you have tried to use public wifi or video chat recently, but the signal is terrible and frequently drops, and that is only from the sun spot maximum.

I agree

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 07:42:49 pm »

Huh?  Solar activity is extremely low as is sunspot activity.

How can sunspots and/or solar activity be the problem when both are extremely low?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 07:45:45 pm »
Huh?  Solar activity is extremely low as is sunspot activity.

How can sunspots and/or solar activity be the problem when both are extremely low?

Like Vinnie Barbarino....."I'm so confused!!"   :laugh:

Oceander

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 07:50:23 pm »

However, if the servers use external storage sources, the data may be corrupted even if the equipment continues to function.  Also, for servers that are network booted, if the network components are damaged, it might be impossible to reboot the servers even if they themselves are undamaged.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 08:08:14 pm »
However, if the servers use external storage sources, the data may be corrupted even if the equipment continues to function.  Also, for servers that are network booted, if the network components are damaged, it might be impossible to reboot the servers even if they themselves are undamaged.

You are more of a tech fan than I, so I take your word. :laugh:

I do suspect that most critical off site storage is caged also - it costs virtually nothing extra to cage a vault. Physical media, such as DVD's will be unaffected. Much of the old ARPAnet is not only still functional and in use every day, but hardened. Fiber optics will be unaffected. The transatlantic cable has a couple of miles of water shielding it. and water is a very good damper for ions.

The capacity will be there, but the question is will anyone be able to use it? Might be an idea to grab one of your old laptops and a cheap metal cabinet. Put the laptop in the cabinet and ground the cabinet to any convenient pipework.

Oceander

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 08:16:21 pm »
You are more of a tech fan than I, so I take your word. :laugh:

I do suspect that most critical off site storage is caged also - it costs virtually nothing extra to cage a vault. Physical media, such as DVD's will be unaffected. Much of the old ARPAnet is not only still functional and in use every day, but hardened. Fiber optics will be unaffected. The transatlantic cable has a couple of miles of water shielding it. and water is a very good damper for ions.

The capacity will be there, but the question is will anyone be able to use it? Might be an idea to grab one of your old laptops and a cheap metal cabinet. Put the laptop in the cabinet and ground the cabinet to any convenient pipework.

It may cost virtually nothing to shield a vault but that is by no means a guarantee that it's actually been done.  I'll grant that the commercial infrastructure is more robust than the end users' devices, and I've little doubt that large financial institutions and governments have taken such precautions with their systems; however, I am less sure about the degree to which many server farms have taken such precautions.

There are also all manner of other devices to consider, other than the servers themselves:  there are all of the switching devices used within the networks themselves through which communications from server to user pass; if those are sufficiently disrupted it will matter little that the servers are unscathed.

SPQR

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 11:02:03 pm »
It may cost virtually nothing to shield a vault but that is by no means a guarantee that it's actually been done.  I'll grant that the commercial infrastructure is more robust than the end users' devices, and I've little doubt that large financial institutions and governments have taken such precautions with their systems; however, I am less sure about the degree to which many server farms have taken such precautions.

There are also all manner of other devices to consider, other than the servers themselves:  there are all of the switching devices used within the networks themselves through which communications from server to user pass; if those are sufficiently disrupted it will matter little that the servers are unscathed.

Every facet of the military that uses a computer would be EMP protected especially USSTRATCOM/SAC especially planes such as LOOKING GLASS,E-6B TACAMO and Air Force One.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:14:08 pm by SPQR »

Oceander

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 05:10:39 am »
Every facet of the military that uses a computer would be EMP protected especially USSTRATCOM/SAC especially planes such as LOOKING GLASS,E-6B TACAMO and Air Force One.

Of course; that's hardly the concern.  The concern is with the ordinary commercial and consumer systems, most of which are only lightly protected, if at all.

SPQR

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 06:11:43 am »
Of course; that's hardly the concern.  The concern is with the ordinary commercial and consumer systems, most of which are only lightly protected, if at all.

You are correct. DHS has this at the bottom of their list of concerns. It is usually up to the states that control these things.The private Utility Companies run the power grid again but the states can take over and do something about it. I believe that several states have already started to take notice of the problem. I believe the article I linked mentions it.

http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy-theories/2013/11/power-grid-down-drill-to-be-conducted-by-us-government-2456182.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/15/us/coast-to-coast-simulating-onslaught-against-power-grid.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:35:08 am by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 11:14:06 am »
You are correct. DHS has this at the bottom of their list of concerns. It is usually up to the states that control these things.The private Utility Companies run the power grid again but the states can take over and do something about it. I believe that several states have already started to take notice of the problem. I believe the article I linked mentions it.

http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy-theories/2013/11/power-grid-down-drill-to-be-conducted-by-us-government-2456182.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/15/us/coast-to-coast-simulating-onslaught-against-power-grid.html?_r=0

The problem with private companies running essential infrastructure.

Don't get me wrong, I approve of private companies and the free market - but there is always the temptation to skimp and cut corners to maximize profits. EMP hardening is simply not that expensive if done during installation of the cables and switches. Retrofitting is a whole other kettle of cod. Costs a ton, irate customers have the phones ringing 24/7.

Oceander

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 12:31:34 am »
The problem with private companies running essential infrastructure.

Don't get me wrong, I approve of private companies and the free market - but there is always the temptation to skimp and cut corners to maximize profits. EMP hardening is simply not that expensive if done during installation of the cables and switches. Retrofitting is a whole other kettle of cod. Costs a ton, irate customers have the phones ringing 24/7.

But I'm not entirely sure just how "essential" is the internet infrastructure, at the least that part of it that is typically used by consumer users.  Even so, there are some companies that provide hardened resources, so the resources are there, it's up to the user to pick based on her/his appetite for risk.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 01:55:22 am »
This website is about as credible as DEBKA, and that ain't saying much.

The title is misleading and inflammatory and has absolutely no place in the world of the sane.  It is insulting to have to repeat this over and over and over but here we go again.

SPQR

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 02:13:44 am »
This website is about as credible as DEBKA, and that ain't saying much.

The title is misleading and inflammatory and has absolutely no place in the world of the sane.  It is insulting to have to repeat this over and over and over but here we go again.

It seems that a major newspaper is backing up the story. Unless the NYT is lying about this program. it seems that both stories compliment themselves. That is why I posted both stories together.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/15/us/coast-to-coast-simulating-onslaught-against-power-grid.html?_r=1&
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:00:29 am by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 05:03:35 am »

That is why states energy commissions needs to keeps an eye on such things. They also need to report to Congress energy commission and Department of Homeland Security about their plans to tackle this problem. Its going to cost a lot of money to upgrade the system  but it is better than zapping us back to the 19th century and causing panic.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:15:13 am by SPQR »