Author Topic: Cruz Pushes Repeal, McCain Eats Crow  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Cruz Pushes Repeal, McCain Eats Crow
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:21:14 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/11/14/Cruz-Pushes-Repeal-McCain-Eats-Crow

by Javier Manjarres 14 Nov 2013, 8:02 AM PDT

All the talk about repealing and replacing Obamacare is now apparently going to be backed up with potentially substantive legislation that  will be spearheaded by Texas Senator Ted Cruz (R) During an appearance on Fox News’ with Megyn Kelly, Cruz stated that he was going to release a plan to repeal Obamacare, and give Americans more healthcare coverage options.

Cruz, as well Senators Mike Lee and Marco Rubio, have been at the forefront of the ‘Repeal Obamacare’ movement, for which they had been excoriated for doing so, by Senate moderate John McCain, and others.

Some say that the time is now for a formal repeal piece of legislation, but are they right? For repeal to work, the entire GOP needs to get behind it, including  Poppa "Whacko Bird," the old crow, Senator John McCain.

It seems as if McCain has had a change of thought about repealing Obamacare. Perhaps McCain should apologize for his past remarks about Cruz and the others who have been beating the repeal drums?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Cruz Pushes Repeal, McCain Eats Crow
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:22:47 am »
OH how I love it when that happens!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:27 am »
OH how I love it when that happens!

:thumbsup:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Carling

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 04:39:43 am »
Infighting and blaming McCain for finally coming around accomplishes nothing, yet is such a Republican thing to do.

Keep the heat on Obama and the Dems, and make them own this disaster.  Worry about the "told you so" stuff during primary season. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 04:43:34 am »
Perhaps McCain should apologize for his past remarks about Cruz and the others who have been beating the repeal drums?

There is no "perhaps" about it but if this report is correct (source is MSNBC) he is not only not apologizing, he's doubling down on his earlier comments.

The civil war in the Republican party rages on.

The divisions were on full display at the fifth annual Washington Ideas Forum on Thursday, especially between Sens. John McCain of Arizona and Ted Cruz of Texas, who spoke right after each other.

McCain said that while he “respected” the Tea Party Texan, he adamantly disagreed with Cruz spearheading a spending battle over defunding Obamacare, which resulted in a partial government shutdown last month. McCain said the reckless move forced a town in his district to rely on food flown in from food banks.

“I have to say, “Stop. You’re wrong, you’re crazy,” said McCain. “If I sound angry, it’s because I have met and talked to constituents of mine who are on minimum wage who had to resort to go to food banks… There was no chance of success and anybody that believe that there is, is very naïve about the Constitution of the United States.”...

When asked what Cruz “doesn’t understand about the world and America’s place in the world” McCain said he doesn’t know because he hasn’t had a conversation with Cruz on that particular issue. But McCain added, “I do believe that there are members of the Senate and the House and Americans who believe we can withdraw from the world. We cannot, and every time we have throughout history, we paid a very, very heavy price for it.” In August, Cruz argued against intervention in Syria in the wake of a deadly chemical weapons attack in the country.  McCain supported a U.S. intervention.

http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/mccain-cruz-shutdown-youre-crazy

What's up with this?
McCain said the reckless move forced a town in his district to rely on food flown in from food banks.
I think I would like some documentation from Captain Queeg, oops I meant Senator McCain, on that one.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:04:35 am »
1) In his district?  Does Captain Queeg think he is a congressman again?

2) There has been NOTHING on our local news about what he is spewing

3) Yesterday HE told Greta he wanted to repeal OCare...

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 05:06:25 am »
Googled it... ZILCH comes up  -- and believe me if this had happened the Phoenix news would have been all over it....

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 05:29:46 am »
Googled it... ZILCH comes up  -- and believe me if this had happened the Phoenix news would have been all over it....

Food banks are local. When they get low, the announce it in the paper. Generally, retailers like Sam's club donate lots of food. Farmers bring in extra produce, and semis bring in vegetables like potatoes, onions, lettuce and cabbage that stores can't handle. They do have a warning, and the shutdown would have nothing to do with it, unless food banks are state government sponsored in Az. Ours are non profit.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 07:47:23 am »
Food banks are local. When they get low, the announce it in the paper. Generally, retailers like Sam's club donate lots of food. Farmers bring in extra produce, and semis bring in vegetables like potatoes, onions, lettuce and cabbage that stores can't handle. They do have a warning, and the shutdown would have nothing to do with it, unless food banks are state government sponsored in Az. Ours are non profit.

Nope, they are non profit here, too...  and around this time of the year St. Vincent and a few others have articles in the paper asking people to donate, many of us in town usually donate the free turkey we get from the grocery store and other food items, plus once a year in May the post office has a food drive and everyone leaves bags of canned goods at the mailbox for them to pickup.....  I'm not buying this from McCain  - geeze just between yesterday and today he changed his tune on O-Care - I really think he has gone senile.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:42:24 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/11/14/Cruz-Pushes-Repeal-McCain-Eats-Crow

by Javier Manjarres 14 Nov 2013, 8:02 AM PDT

All the talk about repealing and replacing Obamacare is now apparently going to be backed up with potentially substantive legislation that  will be spearheaded by Texas Senator Ted Cruz (R) During an appearance on Fox News’ with Megyn Kelly, Cruz stated that he was going to release a plan to repeal Obamacare, and give Americans more healthcare coverage options.

I can't speak for McCain and my world view hasn't changed, but I've re-read some of my posts from the last 2 months and I was very critical of Ted Cruz.  In hindsight his plan to shutdown the government over Obamacare...to let everyone not on meth know where the GOP stood, might...maybe...could reap substantial rewards.

Many American's, some who vote in midterm elections but couldn't tell you who the vice president is, did not know how strongly the GOP felt about Obmacare.  After a 2 week shutdown they know.  They may not know who McConnell is but they know who Ted Cruz is.

I think Cruz stumbled into his place in history. But what do I know?  I thought society would break down from welfare checks getting delayed because of Y2K and I started stockpiling water.  I thought there was no way a criminal like Bill Clinton could get re-elected by the American people over a war hero like Dole, or a dullard, or perhaps even a photogenic serial killer.  and then after Clinton was re-elected  :shrug: and impeached by the congress...I really did not expect when the Senate voted unanimously to hear no evidence.  That one blew my mind.  That was the one that I thought would make the people rise up.  I have been wrong a lot in my life and even if Cruz just got lucky, I was wrong to get so worked up about the shutdown.  It now appears we gave up a month too soon.

Maybe there is something to this principled governance thing.

Ted Cruz could be the next big thing if he can get out into the pop culture.  He's already there, but his story is being written by people like Letterman, and Stewart.  Cruz did very well on Leno.  and Leno was pretty tough.  Cruz should find a more challenging venue than Megyn Kelly.  He's already got all the conservatives.  I am sure conservatives can understand why he needs to branch out a little.  Otherwise he'll be the next Alan Keyes or Pat Buchanan or Tom Tancredo http://denver.cbslocal.com/video/9499466-gov-candidate-tom-tancredo-doesnt-apologize-for-obscene-gesture/

I think Cruz needs to get out nationally and keep repeating over, and over, and over how he tried very hard to protect Americans from OBAMACARE as simplistically as possible.  And then he needs to talk about jobs and how Obamacare is preventing business from hiring.  Then he should say something about how he took on the rats, and even some people in his own party, but mostly those rats who are trying to protect Obama and other rats, and how he spearheaded the opposition to Obamacare in October...before 5 MILLION AMERICANS lost their health coverage because of Obamacare which he tried very hard to protect the American people from because Obamacare is such job killer.

After that he needs a plan.

Here is what Common Tator said on TOS in Jan 2002

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/608844/posts
There is just one rule in getting elected. Find a problem the people care about and propose a fix.
If there are no real problems a candidate can get elected fixing imaginary problems. People by nature prefer a fixer. If a candidate or party does not propose a fix for a real problem they are toast. If there is a real problem such as a bad economy the party and candidates MUST propose a fix if they hope to win.

If there is a real problem, "NEVER EVER TRASH YOUR OPPONENTS FIX". You will be marked as the guy trying to keep the other side from fixing the problem. You will move the focus of attention to the other guys fix. You in effect hand him the ball. Only the guy with the ball can score. NO matter how hare brained the other sides fix is ... never ever trash it. You will be seen as the guy that is against fixing the problem.

Propose your own fix. The bigger the better. Push the heck out of it. Make your fix bigger than the other sides fix and claim your fix will fix it for x number of reasons. Where x is large number. NEVER EVER TRASH THE OTHER GUYS FIX. Say yours has a much better chance of working. Say it is certain to work. Say yours is the only plan certain to work. But don't put the spotlight on his plan by trashing it.

When you attack the other guys plan the focus is all on his fix and your efforts to stop it. That is a very bad place to be. The winner will be the guy seen as the one who will fix the problem. Not the guy who is seen as stopping a potential fix.

Democrats have a short memory and must have attended liberal schools that graded on self esteem. For a real education would teach the student that you don't have to fix the problem if you are seen as the only one trying to fix it. You don't even have to have a good idea. If you are the only one with a fix, you have by definition the best fix.

If the Democrats hope to keep the economy bad as a means of defeating Republicans, it is very stupid. They should look at FDR and how he used a bad economy he could not fix to get elected 3 straight times. FDR kept proposing new fixes. The Republicans kept fighting all fixes. The public elected the failed fixer over and over. You can bet your Butt that Dubya knows what he is doing. This is going to be a good year.

I believe Cruz's next steps are important.  He needs to offer a fix.  Some people think no matter what government does, it will be bad.  It's hard to blame them.  I can think of hundreds of examples of bad legislation. But if all you offer is "no" then the majority of non-conservative voters will back the rats. 

I take back all my bad thoughts on the shutdown.  Tomorrow I will be sober, tonight I offer my mea culpa to conservatives.  Forgive me, I knew not know what I was doing.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:32:48 pm »
Many American's, some who vote in midterm elections but couldn't tell you who the vice president is, did not know how strongly the GOP felt about Obmacare.  After a 2 week shutdown they know.  They may not know who McConnell is but they know who Ted Cruz is.

Yes indeed!

I take back all my bad thoughts on the shutdown.  Tomorrow I will be sober, tonight I offer my mea culpa to conservatives.  Forgive me, I knew not know what I was doing.

No mea culpas required as for as I'm concerned Just happy you are beginning to see the possibilities!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:31:46 pm »
Cruz did very well on Leno.  and Leno was pretty tough.  Cruz should find a more challenging venue than Megyn Kelly.  He's already got all the conservatives.  I am sure conservatives can understand why he needs to branch out a little.

Cruz s gone into more difficult venues.. he ate David Gregory's lunch on Meet the Press... for instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzPMA_53VZc
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:43:21 pm by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 06:50:37 pm »
Ted Cruz on ABC Sunday show - October 20th

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/week-transcript-rep-nancy-pelosi-sen-ted-cruz/story?id=20612657

snip to go to the interview with Cruz (after Pelosi)

And now to the GOP. There has been a lot of talk about the rift between the Republican Party that the shutdown has exposed.

"The New York Times" this morning calling it a civil war, and Jon Karl is back with us.

Jon, you explored that civil war with two Republicans this week.

KARL: That's right, Martha. I talked to two high profile Republicans, both are potential presidential candidates, both are, no doubt about it, conservatives. But as you'll see, they represent opposite sides of this battle for the future of the Republican Party.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

CRUZ: The deal was a terrible deal. The Washington establishment sold the American people down the river. It provided no relief for the millions of people who are hurting because of ObamaCare, but it is worth also focusing on what did happen because a lot, I think, was accomplished in the last couple of months.

Number one, the public debate over the harms that ObamaCare is inflicting, it elevated the public debate. And that is critically important.

KARL: People hated this shutdown, they hated this impasse and this was seen as the Ted Cruz shutdown. You more than any single individual were seen as the one that triggered this crisis to begin with.

CRUZ: Jon, I agree that a lot of D.C. politicians tried to call it that and a lot of the media did, too. But --

KARL: We're talking about public opinion nationally.

CRUZ: But look, I -- I -- let me be very clear. I said throughout this, we shouldn't have a shutdown. I don't want a shutdown. I repeatedly voted to open the government.

KARL: But there never would have been a shutdown if you hadn't gone with the strategy of saying we're not even going to fund the government for six weeks --

(CROSSTALK)

CRUZ: And you know what?

KARL: -- unless we can defund ObamaCare.

CRUZ: -- you know what, John, there never would have been a shutdown if Harry Reid and President Obama hadn't said we will not compromise, we will not negotiate, shut the government down.

KARL: How much do your colleagues just despise you right now on the floor? I mean, I hear some really strong language from your own fellow Republican senators.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN (R), ARIZ.: I think it's obvious that we are now seeing the end of this agonizing odyssey. It's one of the more shameful chapters that I have seen.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

CRUZ: Listen --

KARL: You made -- you made some enemies in this battle.

CRUZ: There is an old saying that politics, it ain't beanbag. And you know, I'm not serving in office because I desperately needed 99 new friends in the U.S. Senate. Given the choice between being reviled in Washington, D.C., and appreciated in Texas, or reviled in Texas and appreciated in Washington, I would take the former 100 out of 100 times.

KARL: You did a radio interview where you compared Senate Republicans to an Air Force going over and bombing their own troops, bombing conservatives, bombing House conservatives.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

CRUZ: And when you have got half the Senate Republican caucus firing their cannons at the House Republicans, it sabotages the effort.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

CRUZ: The reason this deal, the lousy deal was reached is because, unfortunately, Senate Republicans made the choice not to support House Republicans.

KARL: You're saying more than that, though. You're saying not only did they not support House conservatives, that they attacked House conservatives as Republicans.

(CROSSTALK)

CRUZ: Well, and I think that was unfortunate. I think it was unfortunate that you saw multiple members of the Senate Republicans going on television, attacking House conservatives, attacking the efforts to defund ObamaCare, saying it cannot win. It's a fool's errand and we will lose, this must -- this must fail.

That is a recipe for losing the fight and it's a shame. We didn't win this battle, but I am encouraged that we have demonstrated when the American people stand up, the House of Representatives will listen and I hope in time the Senate will listen also.

KARL: What next? We have another deadline, government funding runs out on January 15th.

Will you rule out pushing to the brink of another shutdown by saying you would block funding for the government unless ObamaCare is defunded?

Will you do that again?

CRUZ: I would do anything and I will continue to do anything I can to stop the train wreck that is ObamaCare.

What I intend to do is continue standing with the American people to work to stop ObamaCare, because it isn't working. It's costing people's jobs and it's taking away their health care.

KARL (voice-over): But Cruz continues to be under fire from members of his own party, including former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, who told us the tactics that Cruz championed caused Republicans to lose ground.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

KARL: I just want to ask you, this shutdown is over. We're back from the brink. No default.

Was there anything gained in all of this?

BUSH: No. I think there was some ground lost from the political point of view.

KARL: And this started with Republicans, mostly in the House, saying that they wanted to gut ObamaCare and they were willing to not fund the government until that happened. I mean, they changed their position a little bit as it went along.

But I mean, how badly are Republicans hurt by all this? It started with their strategy.

BUSH: Tactically it was a mistake to focus on something that couldn't be achieved. That's what that was, it was tactics. In fact, I would argue that allowing ObamaCare to be implemented, two things would happen.

One, it would be so dysfunctional if it was implemented faithfully that it would be clear for more people. Or it would -- it couldn't be implemented because the government is not capable of doing it.

It looks like that, the latter rather than the former, may be happening, but that was all crowded out by a miscalculation of using something that shouldn't be used, the debt ceiling limit and the continuation of the budget.

KARL: What do you think when you see these guys, your own party coming out and saying the debt ceiling, we don't necessarily need to raise that? I mean...

BUSH: Well, you have to pay your obligations. The -- I do a lot of traveling overseas and when we have these spikes of political conversations that are not grounded in reality, the rest of the world looks at us as untrustworthy. That has implications not just for us, slowdown of economic activity, it has implications in the world because people have to count on the United States.

And if we're behaving this way, it makes it harder to do so.

So now look, I'm not -- I want to make sure everybody understands, I'm not blaming Republicans. I think we have a systemic problem in Washington right now and the void of leadership is making it harder to get to a better place.

The better place would be that, with civility, have a dialogue about the bigger, more pressing issues and try to find common ground rather than use each instance of a -- you know, a possible crisis to win a political point. We need to start solving problems and I think the president does not deserve credit in this either.

KARL: But I just spoke to Ted Cruz and he was the guy who said, hey, let's not agree to a funding resolution unless ObamaCare is defunded. That was the strategy that really kicked it off and he told me that he will now do anything he can to stop ObamaCare and he does not rule out pushing to the brink once again.

What would your message be to Ted Cruz?

BUSH: Well, frankly, I think the best way to repeal ObamaCare is to have an alternative. We never hear the alternative. We could do this in a much lower cost with improved quality based on our principles, free market principles, and two, show how ObamaCare, flawed to its core, doesn't work.

So have a little bit of self-restraint. It might actually be a politically better approach to see the massive dysfunction. But we don't even hear about that because we've stepped on that message. And I think Republicans need to just take a step back and allow -- show a little self-restraint and let this happen a little more organically.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

RADDATZ: Our thanks to Jon Karl and we'll have much more with Jon and Governor Bush a bit later.

Coming up our powerhouse roundtable, ready to weigh in on those interviews and break down a stunning week in politics.

Plus we hit the road, checking in with Tea Party supporters in Ohio for their take.

And check out the PandaCam. With the government back open, the National Zoo's live look at its most popular resident is back online.

And we're back after this.

RADDATZ: Up next the roundtable's take on the shutdown and the new deadlines looming.

Plus much more from Jeb Bush. What's his take on 2016? That's coming up.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

RADDATZ: Check out the support Tea Party star Ted Cruz is getting this week. We need more Republicans like Ted Cruz, that message spelled out by one of his constituents with styrofoam cups.

Well, polls shows most Americans blame Republicans more than the president for the shutdown, there is still significant support for Cruz's strategy.

The roundtable weighs in shortly but first we sent Byron Pitts to Lulu's Diner in Ohio to talk to a group of Tea Party supporters, an engineer, nurse, small business owner, retiree and car dealer to find out why they view the shutdown as a success.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

BYRON PITTS, ABC NEWS CORRESPONDENT: Show of hands, did you support the shutdown?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Absolutely.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes.

PITTS: You all agree that the shutdown was a good idea for the country. Why?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Spending has got to stop.

KIM MEYER, TEA PARTY SUPPORTER: This is something that will hopefully help people to see that there is something that needs to be done.

JUSTIN BINIK-THOMAS, TEA PARTY SUPPORTER: Let's try to sum that up with personal responsibility. When that comes to your personal budgets you make sure that what you make covers your bills.

PITTS: What about the price tag that goes with it. Some of these numbers, $24 billion economic impact, 800,000 federal workers furloughed. We all saw the images on TV of veterans denied access. So, the country was inconvenienced, yes?

TOM AHL, TEA PARTY SUPPORTER: Why did the government officials blocked those walk around monuments, that was outlandish.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And it was unnecessary.

PITTS: So, you would agree that there was an impact in the nation for the shutdown. But you think it was worth it?

H.R. PENCE, TEA PARTY SUPPORTER: I think it was being portrayed as greater than it actually was.

SEN. TED CRUZ, (R) TEXAS: Do they really think these little barricades can keep us out?

PITTS: What would be your message to Ted Cruz?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Ted Cruz is my hero because he stood up for the American public, because I see what Obamacare is going to do and what it's going to do to this country.

PITTS: He's been wildly criticized as you know around the country.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I honestly feel that the grassroots of America is behind him. I feel it strongly.

OBAMA: Once this agreement arrives on my desk, I will sign it immediately.

PITTS: What's your message to President Obama.

BOB THOMPSON, TEA PARTY SUPPORTER: I like President Obama. As a person, he seems like -- I would love to go play 18 holes of golf with him, I really would. I think that would be a lot of fun. But I think that, you know, he's on the other side of the equation as far as the battle of the ideas.

PITTS: So, it sounds like you all are still in the fighting mood?

THOMPSON: Yep.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think some of the members have become more passionate.

PITTS: Is it possible, Tom, for you to be more passionate than you are right now -- than you seem to be right now?

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes.

PITTS: Why is that though?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Because I love America. I do. Greatest land in the world.

PITTS: And you don't feel good about where we are right now?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Absolutely not. So frustrated.

THOMPSON: I mean, we're having this conversation. You're sitting here in Lulu's in Ohio. We're having this conversation. That's a plus.

PITTS: So, did the shutdown accomplish anything?

THOMPSON: Sure it did. This conversation is ongoing.