Author Topic: Catholic Christie Says He’s ‘Happy’ for Same-Sex Couples Who Marry in NJ  (Read 780 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Gov. Chris Christie said last week that.he is “happy” for same-sex couples who got married in New Jersey after his administration withdrew its appeal of a court order to start issuing them marriage licenses.

"I'm happy for them, if they're happy," Christie, a Roman Catholic who attended an inaugural Mass in 2010 after being first elected governor, said at a press conference in Union City on Nov. 6th, the day after his historic reelection.

When asked if he had an emotional reaction to same-sex couples being able to obtain marriage licenses in New Jersey, Christie replied, “Not really."

Christie told TV host Piers Morgan in June 2011 that while he was opposed to same-sex marriage, he supported civil unions for homosexuals. “I think we can have civil unions that can help to give the same type of legal rights to same-sex couples that marriage gives them.”...

Last August, Christie also signed a bill banning gay conversion therapy.  The law was upheld on appeal by  U.S. District Court Judge Freda L. Wolfson, an appointee of George W. Bush, who wrote that the law "on its face does not target speech, and ‘counseling’ is not entitled to special constitutional protection merely because it is primarily carried out through talk therapy.”

The lawsuit, filed by two therapists from the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality and the American Association of Christian Counselors, argued that the law infringed upon their right to freely exercise their religion and did not allow parents to “direct the upbringing and education of their children according to their sincerely held religious beliefs.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/james-beattie/catholic-christie-says-he-s-happy-same-sex-couples-who-marry-nj

Personally I am less concerned about Christie's putative Catholicism seeing as how many "Catholic" politicians completely ignore their Church's moral teachings, with no negative consequences I might add, as I am with those who keep assuring me Christie is a Conservative, which is about as true as is calling him a Catholic.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/james-beattie/catholic-christie-says-he-s-happy-same-sex-couples-who-marry-nj

Personally I am less concerned about Christie's putative Catholicism seeing as how many "Catholic" politicians completely ignore their Church's moral teachings, with no negative consequences I might add, as I am with those who keep assuring me Christie is a Conservative, which is about as true as is calling him a Catholic.

I thought just the other day someone insisted he is against gay marriage...   like everything with Christie look at what he does - not what he says.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Sadly the GOP has lost this battle.  The American people don't consider homosexuality taboo anymore.  Middle aged people like me still remember when being called a fag was the ultimate insult in high school, but the youth today don't care.  Soon society will tell me I can't point out some one is gay...I'll have to say the "G" word or some other euphemism devoid of hetro-normative domination.

They all think I'm a prude and I thought I was a pervert. :smokin:

rangerrebew

Nazi Pelosi and Yusef bin Biden are Catholic, too. :thud: