Author Topic: Brit Hume on Democrats breaking ranks with Obama: “This is as bad a political disaster as I’ve ever seen”  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Rapunzel

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Actor Rob Lowe: People Should Be Less Dependent on Government, 'More Responsible for Their Own Lives'
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Relic

And BTW single payer will not reduce costs. It will drive the costs up, not down.

Duh. Geez, you just can't be informed beyond what you have decided is so, can you?

Increased competition is important. If it requires nudging from the Feds, I'm ok with it. I'm generally in favor of state's rights, but in this case, I'd be ok with a gentle nudge. Opening up to competition doesn't seem like it would be so hard to make happen. A little attention on who is and isn't allowing such commerce might do it. Commerce clause maybe?

I agree, let employers offer what benefits they like. I'd bet big money that all things being equal, most employers would dump healthcare as a benefit immediately. It's a headache to administer, and it's expensive. Rather than pay $1000 to an employee's health insurance, raise his pay that much and be done with it. Tag that money as for health insurance, and make it tax free. A win/win. If consumers are involved in purchasing health insurance, the cost there would go down. As it is now, I'm offered 2 or 3 plans, pick one, or get lost.

If I spent my life in the insurance industry, I'm sure I'd have better solutions. I don't work in insurance.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
We have a thing called the Tenth Amendment - aka States Rights.  This is why each state has an insurance commissioner an he or she is tasked with approving the plans offered in their individual states.

With all due respect, I think you are confusing what currently is with what has to be. The only reason interstate sales of health insurance policies is currently prohibited is that the big insurance companies spent BILLIONS of dollars to make it so with their lobby efforts! There is no Constitutional bar to it happening that I know of!

Please see Article I, Section 8, Clause 3:

The Congress shall have Power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes;

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:41:54 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Why is everyone so anxious for the GOP to pass yet another bill... this is how we got in this danged mess to begin with... and why in the hell push single payer... do you realize how that WILL destroy what is left of our healthcare?  and is the ultimate goal of the marxists in this country.

I never said the GOP had to pass a health care proposal of their own.

I said that the GOP has to hold peoples' attention and be able to explain why the ACA must be repealed in its entirety.  And to explain how the free markets can achieve lower premiums if allowed to go across state lines for customers.

They have to tell them that Santa Claus is a fairytale.  No free contraception.  No federal dollars for abortion.

We're about $18.5 TRILLION in debt.   It will NEVER be repaid.   Except in blood.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Let me see. 4 marines just killed in Camp Pendleton.

3 kids shot in Pittsburgh, and 6 detained for questioning.

Both stories posting in the last 10 minutes.

Lets argue hypotheticals, instead.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Let me see. 4 marines just killed in Camp Pendleton.

3 kids shot in Pittsburgh, and 6 detained for questioning.

Both stories posting in the last 10 minutes.

Lets argue hypotheticals, instead.

??? 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Duh. Geez, you just can't be informed beyond what you have decided is so, can you?

Increased competition is important. If it requires nudging from the Feds, I'm ok with it. I'm generally in favor of state's rights, but in this case, I'd be ok with a gentle nudge. Opening up to competition doesn't seem like it would be so hard to make happen. A little attention on who is and isn't allowing such commerce might do it. Commerce clause maybe?

I agree, let employers offer what benefits they like. I'd bet big money that all things being equal, most employers would dump healthcare as a benefit immediately. It's a headache to administer, and it's expensive. Rather than pay $1000 to an employee's health insurance, raise his pay that much and be done with it. Tag that money as for health insurance, and make it tax free. A win/win. If consumers are involved in purchasing health insurance, the cost there would go down. As it is now, I'm offered 2 or 3 plans, pick one, or get lost.

If I spent my life in the insurance industry, I'm sure I'd have better solutions. I don't work in insurance.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts on this thread.  You have interesting ideas and you make a lot of sense to me.   The GOP absolutely needs a plan to fix healthcare, and you have laid out a great framework to base it off.  We should explore separating health insurance from employers, and tort reform must be in the mix.

Even if the new legislation is deeply flawed it would still be better than Obamacare.  Even if it does a little more damage than good we would better off than we are today under Obamacare.  Put another way, the paper cuts of flawed GOP legislation are survivable, but the dagger of Obamacare will kill the American health industry.

Obamacare must be replaced with something else.  It doesn't have to work but it has to be offered or the voters will replace the GOP with people who will try to fix the problems that matter to a majority of voters...unless we can convince the rats to stop offering suggestions.  Then the GOP can ignore the voters all day long with little fear.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
The one good thing to come out of Obamacare may well be the exchanges.  They offer a framework for having a national marketplace where everyone in the country can go, compare plans, and pick what they want.  If I had it to do, here is how I would reform Obamacare:

1. Sell the healthcare exchange to a private operator.
2. Eliminate all the minimum requirements and let insurance companies tailor their coverage to the needs of each individual consumer, which would include policies that offer rebates for staying healthy (ie, medical savings accounts).
3. Eliminate all the barriers that prevent companies from selling across state borders.
4. Tort reform
5. Means test Medicare and leave Medicaid to the states.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The one good thing to come out of Obamacare may well be the exchanges.  They offer a framework for having a national marketplace where everyone in the country can go, compare plans, and pick what they want.  If I had it to do, here is how I would reform Obamacare:

1. Sell the healthcare exchange to a private operator.
2. Eliminate all the minimum requirements and let insurance companies tailor their coverage to the needs of each individual consumer, which would include policies that offer rebates for staying healthy (ie, medical savings accounts).
3. Eliminate all the barriers that prevent companies from selling across state borders.
4. Tort reform
5. Means test Medicare and leave Medicaid to the states.

I would definitely vote for that program!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

As I read all this, the term that come to mind was cognitive dissonance. Simply put, it is a doubt about something that is held as a belief.  Without it, change will not happen; people will hold on to their beliefs until given a reason to change them.  All the things I have read in here are great ideas, but until someone can create a doubt about the worth of the democratic party and lack of concern about the American people, nothing will ever change.  The democrats have done a magnificent job of getting people to believe the most vile things about republicans and that is EXACTLY what republicans need to do to democrats, get people to believe the democrats are liars, hypocrites, and will say anything to get votes. A crack in the democrat armor will be needed if ideas like these are put in practice.11513