Author Topic: Obamacare restrictions lead Brooklyn couple to consider divorce  (Read 1853 times)

rangerrebew

Obamacare restrictions lead Brooklyn couple to consider divorce
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:32:39 am »
Obamacare Restrictions Lead Brooklyn Couple To Consider Divorce

'We Would Save Thousands Of Dollars If We Got Divorced,' Woman Says

November 6, 2013 10:00 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — From website crashes to long holds on calls, the issues involved with the unveiling of the Affordable Care Act are well documented.

But now, could it be breaking couples up?

CBS 2’s Don Champion spoke to one Brooklyn couple on Wednesday who said they may be forced to get a divorce to get health insurance.

Nona Willis Aronowitz and Aaron Cassara’s love affair began at a party in 2008.

“We kissed on a bean bag chair,” Aronowitz said.

A year later, it grew into a marriage at City Hall in Manhattan.

“It was really sudden,” Aronowitz said. “It was basically because he needed health insurance, and I had a job that would give that to him.”

But four years later, there is now irony in the fact the couple could soon divorce for the same reason.

“After Obamacare has rolled out, we realized that we would save thousands of dollars if we got divorced,” Aronowitz said.

The issue for Aronowitz and Cassara is that together as family of only two, they make more than the $62,000 level to qualify for subsidies under the Affordable Care Act. But if they lived together unmarried, they would qualify for the subsidies and could literally save hundreds of dollars a month on their health care.

A single person can qualify for subsidies if they make less than $46,000 a year.

“It’s really complicated,” Aronowitz said. “Go on the website, you’ll see what I mean.”

Aronowitz, a freelance writer, and Cassara, who works as a freelancer in the film industry, lost their health coverage recently when Aronowitz was laid off.

Critics of the Affordable Care Act have called the pricey decision couple faces the “marriage penalty.” But the income levels for subsidies were set by Congress.

“I’m an educated, very well plugged-in person and I can’t figure it out,” Aronowitz said.

Aronowitz said she and her husband are deeply in love but together were never the “marrying type.” Still, they said they’re not taking the decision ahead of them lightly.

“In our case, it would be worth it,” Aronowitz said. “In other people’s cases, where marriage is really, really important to them and they had this big wedding and it was this sacred experience, I think it would be a really tough decision for them.”

The couple is looking at other health options before making the divorce decision.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/06/obamacare-restrictions-lead-brooklyn-couple-to-consider-divorce/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:33:27 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Obamacare restrictions lead Brooklyn couple to consider divorce
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:44:23 am »
Marriage. Once a sacred institution. Then a tradition. Then a lifestyle choice. Now pure economics.

Sure, I got sympathy for them. Also got a question for them.

"How much is your word worth?" The pair of you made vows to each other. Promises. That counts for nothing?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:41:25 pm »

"How much is your word worth?" The pair of you made vows to each other. Promises. That counts for nothing?

It really doesn't mean much to today's youth.  They are too addicted to "things" which require money to own.  Therefore money drives thinking, not morality, vows, or principle.  Not ALL are like that but far too many are. :thud:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:59:34 pm »
Obama hates marriage, so if heterosexual couples get divorced because of Obamacare, who cares?

Just one more step in destroying everything good in America.......   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 06:03:46 pm »

Just one more step in destroying everything good in America.......   **nononono*
:thumbsup: