Author Topic: America, as labeled by an Australian who's never been here  (Read 2687 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
America, as labeled by an Australian who's never been here
« on: November 02, 2013, 04:31:27 pm »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:32:04 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Olivia

Re: America, as labeled by an Australian who's never been here
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 05:09:21 pm »
If he's that interested, maybe he needs to read up on American history instead of trying to do what-ever he's doing here.  Makes no sense to me. :laugh:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 05:24:11 pm »
It actually made me giggle.

Don't forget - we outside the USA hear of maybe 3 states. California, New York (City - the state itself rarely gets a mention) and Texas. The other 47 (or 54 if you are in the White House, with your feet up on the Resolute desk) are kind of hard to place. Random bits, sure. Maine is where Stephen King lives. Idaho grows potatoes and is somewhere in the middle. Florida has it's own category on Fark and is apparently full of golden agers and idiots.

That is about it.

It is a brilliant illustration of local focus. The same person could correctly place the states and cities in Australia and probably do the same for most of Indonesia. Someone (reasonably well educated and traveled) from here would be hard pushed to even name all 50 states, yet would be able to fill out a blank map of the UK or Europe, no problem. Well - except for Poland. No one ever seems to remember where that is.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Olivia

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »
Well, I seem to have a problem with criticism of my country.  :laugh:
Wow!  You don't even know anything about my state of North Carolina, which is bordered by South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and a little piece of Georgia.
Ocean on the east coast, beautiful mountains to the west.  Pure bliss!   :laugh: :laugh:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 05:41:09 pm »
I thought it was amusing. We're all fairly ignorant of geography, especially where countries we've never visited are concerned.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 05:43:52 pm »
Well, I seem to have a problem with criticism of my country.  :laugh:
Wow!  You don't even know anything about my state of North Carolina, which is bordered by South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and a little piece of Georgia.
Ocean on the east coast, beautiful mountains to the west.  Pure bliss!   :laugh: :laugh:

And this is why you will always be wonderful to me.

I admit - North Carolina, I know nothing about. One day, when retirement comes, we have a plan. Fly to the USA. Buy an RV. Spend about a year just driving and seeing the sights. We will divert into Ontario - I went wolf calling in Algonquin as a kid and the missus wants to do that!  :laugh:
South Carolina - hey - I know the woman that does the morning traffic reports for the entire state. She is pretty neat.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 05:57:50 pm »
That's a good way for a European to see the USA, EC. Avoid the big cities or other touristy places like Miami. When Mr. M and I visit France, Germany and other western European countries, we thoroughly enjoy driving through the countryside and staying in small towns.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 06:27:06 pm »
Everyone everywhere knows Texas. That's all that matters.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 07:04:05 pm »
A more accurate map:

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Olivia

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 07:37:37 pm »
A more accurate map:

:silly: :silly: 

Even though I'm a North Carolinian by birth, I spent a few years in Victoria and Bay City when My hubby was transferred to those cities. I was very young, lonely, and so glad to get back to North Carolina. 
I can honestly say that true Texans are very proud of their state. 

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 07:41:45 pm »
One of my friends has this shirt.

"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 08:22:19 pm »
That's a good way for a European to see the USA, EC. Avoid the big cities or other touristy places like Miami. When Mr. M and I visit France, Germany and other western European countries, we thoroughly enjoy driving through the countryside and staying in small towns.

It is a wonderful way to see everything and actually get a feel for life and the people.  :laugh:

Cities hold minimal interest for me - I do want to see Washington DC at some stage, but only for the Smithsonian (and the shuttle - every one who flys makes that pilgrimage) and the Lincoln Memorial. The only other city firmly on the wish list is San Diego for the park and zoo. Wife keeps raving about this park where you can get cuisine from almost anywhere in the world - so that place is a must go. Otherwise - well, I have friends in Toronto, but we'll meet up elsewhere. Got a good mate in Wyoming too - he's promised us parking for as long as we need it.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 10:43:16 pm »
Everyone everywhere knows Texas. That's all that matters.

You and the Aussie obviously never saw the "New Yorker" map of America cover.  :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 01:57:09 am »
I thought it was amusing. We're all fairly ignorant of geography, especially where countries we've never visited are concerned.
I just find it ironic that of all the bellyaching about how those "ugly Americans" are so ignorant of other countries, this guy proves that, indeed, it goes both ways.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 01:13:13 pm »
Agreed, jmyrle.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 02:11:44 pm »
It actually made me giggle.

Don't forget - we outside the USA hear of maybe 3 states. California, New York (City - the state itself rarely gets a mention) and Texas. The other 47 (or 54 if you are in the White House, with your feet up on the Resolute desk) are kind of hard to place. Random bits, sure. Maine is where Stephen King lives. Idaho grows potatoes and is somewhere in the middle. Florida has it's own category on Fark and is apparently full of golden agers and idiots.

That is about it.

It is a brilliant illustration of local focus. The same person could correctly place the states and cities in Australia and probably do the same for most of Indonesia. Someone (reasonably well educated and traveled) from here would be hard pushed to even name all 50 states, yet would be able to fill out a blank map of the UK or Europe, no problem. Well - except for Poland. No one ever seems to remember where that is.

I keep forgetting, is the Northern Territory a state, or not?  Is the ACT like the District of Columbia?

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 03:00:18 pm »
Australia as labeled by a smart-assed American who has been there:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 03:13:27 pm »
Might as well post one of America Jr.