Author Topic: Boehner rallies his troops at closed-door conference  (Read 3009 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Boehner rallies his troops at closed-door conference
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:36:15 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/326605-boehner-rallies-his-troops-at-closed-door-conference

Boehner rallies his troops at closed-door conference
By Molly K. Hooper - 10/04/13 11:23 AM ET

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) rallied Republicans on Friday at a closed-door conference meeting and did not talk about a possible “grand bargain” to end standoffs over the government shutdown and raising the debt ceiling.

Lawmakers emerging from the meeting said Boehner told his colleagues they are locked in an “epic battle” with President Obama and Democrats on the shutdown.

They said Boehner sought to hype up his conference a day after reports that the Speaker has told some members he will not allow the country to default, and is willing to bring legislation to the floor that would depend on Democratic votes for passage.

Those reports unnerved some conservative Republicans who have often battled their Speaker, but GOP Rep. Tim Huelskamp (Ark.) left the meetin Friday saying his conference was “incredibly unified.”

Huelskamp, who lost his committee assignments for not voting with this party, said the GOP is “more unified since I've been here in 2 years and nine months.”

The House will be in session on Saturday to vote on new spending bills that will fund parts of the government.

That GOP effort has been going on for a few days as Republicans fight to improve their public opinion ratings in the shutdown showdown.

Polls have consistently shown more people blame Republicans than the White House for the shutdown.

The House is expected to hold votes on Saturday morning. No votes are scheduled for Sunday.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Boehner rallies his troops at closed-door conference
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:39:55 pm »
Polls have consistently shown more people blame Republicans than the White House for the shutdown.

And they will continue to, and it will get worse.

Everyone knows what the definition of insanity is, and the Republicans typify insanity by continuing to send spending bills to Harry Reid that he is not going to take up.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:44:29 pm »
And they will continue to, and it will get worse.

Everyone knows what the definition of insanity is, and the Republicans typify insanity by continuing to send spending bills to Harry Reid that he is not going to take up.

I keep hearing this broken record!  Wonder why that is?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:46:38 pm »
I keep hearing this broken record!  Wonder why that is?

What's going to make Reid take them up?  The polls are all against the Republicans. 

We're losing this, Bigun, no matter what kind of fairy dust Ted Cruz blows at you.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:48:34 pm »
What's going to make Reid take them up?  The polls are all against the Republicans. 

We're losing this, Bigun, no matter what kind of fairy dust Ted Cruz blows at you.

Only in your fevered mind and that of those like you!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 03:49:50 pm »

Clintoon was the one who popularized 'government by poll' and 20 years later it is accepted as an authoritative method for determining right and wrong actions...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 04:00:19 pm »
Clintoon was the one who popularized 'government by poll' and 20 years later it is accepted as an authoritative method for determining right and wrong actions...

Based on the polls from last election cycle, it's pretty clear they accurately reflect the feelings of people in response to the questions asked.

It's not about right and wrong.  It's about who's getting the blame for the shutdown.  Polls before the shutdown indicated the public would blame Republicans and, sure enough, that's exactly what the public is doing.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:25:14 pm »
It seems to me irrelevant who the public "blames" for the shutdown.  Maybe the public LIKES the shutdown and therefore whoever is to "blame" should be getting credit.  I certainly like the idea that the government has to eliminate all of its "nonessential" personnel.  I only wish it could go on forever, instead of however long this supposed "crisis" lasts.

Some percentage of those who think the GOP is to "blame" for the shutdown, also supports the shutdown.  This is typical of the way the media operates to skew public opinion. 

The phone calls and letters coming into congress are more indicative of what people are really thinking, and those must be favorable else the GOP house members would be looking for a graceful exit about now. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:26:22 pm by massadvj »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 04:34:13 pm »
It seems to me irrelevant who the public "blames" for the shutdown.  Maybe the public LIKES the shutdown and therefore whoever is to "blame" should be getting credit.  I certainly like the idea that the government has to eliminate all of its "nonessential" personnel.  I only wish it could go on forever, instead of however long this supposed "crisis" lasts.

Some percentage of those who think the GOP is to "blame" for the shutdown, also supports the shutdown.  This is typical of the way the media operates to skew public opinion. 

The phone calls and letters coming into congress are more indicative of what people are really thinking, and those must be favorable else the GOP house members would be looking for a graceful exit about now.

They ARE looking for a graceful exit.  Don't kid yourself.  Boehner's demands keep getting weaker and weaker.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 04:34:15 pm »

Grassroots republicans and the TEA party (in reality one in the same entidy) are overwhelmingly in support of what the house is doing! I couldn't care less what democrats and the media think about anything!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:35:53 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 04:53:34 pm »
To continue offering bills that fund essential (or popular) parts of the government and have the senate vote them down is the best move at this point. A strategy to demonize Reid and the dims for continuing to fail to move forward as well as criticizing the poser in chief for his failure to lead will coincide.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »
To continue offering bills that fund essential (or popular) parts of the government and have the senate vote them down is the best move at this point. A strategy to demonize Reid and the dims for continuing to fail to move forward as well as criticizing the poser in chief for his failure to lead will coincide.

For most of our history this is EXACTLY how budgets were arrived at. Omnibus budget bills are a recent phenomena.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 04:57:51 pm »

Yeah, I think so too.  It disproves the notion that the GOP is doing nothing and shows who the obstructionists really are.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 04:58:39 pm »
For most of our history this is EXACTLY how budgets were arrived at. Omnibus budget bills are a recent phenomena.

Yep, that's true.  Now to do otherwise is considered 'politically-motivated'.

Of course, just consider the source on that one...

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 05:28:40 pm »
Vladimir Putin was quoted as saying,

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon.

The pigeon knocks over all the pieces, poops on the board and
then struts around like it won the game."

I think he's got him figured out!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:30:20 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 05:31:25 pm »
Vladimir Putin was quoted as saying,

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon.

The pigeon knocks over all the pieces, poops on the board and
then struts around like it won the game."

I think he's got him figured out!

OH, that's beautiful

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 05:37:34 pm »
OH, that's beautiful

OH yeah! A perfect description!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:39:34 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 09:59:27 pm »
They ARE looking for a graceful exit.  Don't kid yourself.  Boehner's demands keep getting weaker and weaker.

You've apparently thought this through.  What are your recommendations for the GOP?  Please share.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 10:01:11 pm »

:thumbsup: