Author Topic: Of course: Susan Collins is just so upset House GOP 'playing politics' with ObamaCare  (Read 1833 times)

Offline happyg

" . . . avoid a disruption in many vital programs on which our citizens rely."

Not that I expect you to be surprised by it, but when you find yourself lamenting why there is so little fight in Beltway Republicans, you have to remember how many of them have become creatures of the Beltway precisely because that is how they survive politically. To Collins, the grumbling in the halls of power sound much like the sentiment she hears back home in Maine, and it will benefit her not at all to really fight for anything. Oppose ObamaCare with words, sure, but actually do something that might change things?

Oh dear. That would be so messy. The East Coast Bluebloods just abhor a confrontation, Mimsy.

The Hill:

"I disagree with the strategy of linking Obamacare with the continuing functioning of government-a strategy that cannot possibly work," Collins said in a statement released Sunday afternoon.

The centrist swing-vote GOP senator called on President Obama and "congressional leaders to sit down immediately and negotiate at least a stopgap funding measure to avoid a disruption in many vital programs on which our citizens rely."

Collins released the statement minutes before GOP House members stood on the steps in front of an empty Capitol building to highlight the decision by Senate Democratic leaders not to call back senators to consider the House-passed funding bill.

Collins added that the congressional leaders and Obama should try to work out an elusive grand bargain to move past the seemingly status quo fiscal crises that have marked the past few years of split government.
Ah yes, the elusive "grand bargain." That's the one where, in theory, the Republicans give on taxes and the Democrats give on spending, and we balance the budget. You know how those turn out. The tax increase is implemented immediately. The "spending cuts" are nominal if that at first, with most set for the "out years," a convenient punt that future Congresses are under no obligation to pay off. And of course, any number of "emergencies" come up in the meantime that justify new spending that blows the "cuts" made in the "grand bargain" out of the water.

But Blueblood Republicans like Susan Collins get to tell their constituents they "got something done," and that's usually good for another six years in office.

http://www.caintv.com/of-course-susan-collins-is-jus

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The sooner Susan Collins switches parties the better!

She is a democrat in everything but name already!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

The sooner Susan Collins switches parties the better!

She is a democrat in everything but name already!

Isn't she up for re-election next year?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Isn't she up for re-election next year?

Yep! and will be handily reelected!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cincinnatus

Yep! and will be handily reelected!

Unfortunately, probably true. This is, after all, the state which gave us Angus "[those who oppose the Adorable Care Act] are guilty of murder in my opinion" King.

And I thought Massachusetts was nutty.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

famousdayandyear

Is there not one decent human being in Maine who can run against this woman?  Who in their right mind votes for Susan Collins?

Online mountaineer

Is there not one decent human being in Maine who can run against this woman?  Who in their right mind votes for Susan Collins?
We could say the same about so many states!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
We could say the same about so many states!

Yes you could! Most have no idea at all as to the country we were SUPPOSED to be, what the Constitution says, or the difference between a "democracy"  and a republic!

The republic has been under assault now for over 150 years (since the 48ers arrived on our shores) and that has had it's affects.

We are in DEEP trouble here!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:55:04 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

Maine used to be a pretty conservative state... it was invaded by the same types who have turned Vermont into a People's Republic: liberals from NY, NJ, PA, CT and elsewhere who bought or rented vacation homes and decided to stay. 

And when they did, they brought their kooky values with them, and proceded to destroy Maine's native industries one by one - logging, agriculture, and commercial fishing... while jacking up taxes to insane levels. They succeeded in driving out the middle class and impoverishing huge portions of the state.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn