Author Topic: Just Six House Republicans Vote Against Advancing Bill That Funds Gov’t, Delays Obamacare’s Individual Mandate – and a Few of the Names May Surprise You  (Read 1753 times)

Offline happyg

The House of Representatives voted in favor of a procedural hurdle to consider the latest effort by GOP leadership to fund the federal government completely, but delay Obamacare’s individual mandate. Just six Republicans voted against the rule — and some of the names may surprise you.

Reps. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), Paul Broun (R-Ga.), Charlie Dent (R-Pa.), Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), Steve King (R-Iowa), and Peter King (R-N.Y.) all voted “no,” according to the Washington Post.

Dent and Peter King come from the more moderate wing of the party, while the others are outspoken conservatives,” the report observes.

Earlier on Monday, there was some debate over whether so-called moderate Republicans would derail the effort. However, with the GOP voting in favor 186-6, it was a pretty united effort.

So why did proven conservatives like Bachmann and Gohmert vote no?

Bachmann says she voted against the measure because the revised continuing resolution doesn’t go far enough in the effort to “kill Obamacare,” Fox News’ Chad Pergram reports.

“For what I have done with my life as a federal tax lawyer, I wouldn’t negotiate with myself, because then I wouldn’t have a strong position,” Bachmann told reporters.

Gohmert also reportedly made a similar case for voting against the rule that would advance the bill.

“It still continues to fund Obamacare … I want to get rid of the subsidy if America doesn’t have it, but at the same time I don’t want to vote to fund Obamacare,” he said, according to BuzzFeed.

Click here for the full breakdown of the vote.

The House was expected to pass the bill to delay individual mandate and fund the government on Monday night. Senate Democrats have indicated that they will table the House proposal later Monday night.

The bottom line: According to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and another Democrat aid, the Senate will refuse to even consider any amendments proposed by the House. Compromise, at this point, appears unlikely.

Senate Dem aide: Within about an hour of the Hse vote, the Senate will send our clean CR to the House, stripped of whatever amdts they add
Just Six House Republicans Vote Against Advancing Bill That Funds Govt, Delays Obamacares Individual Mandate17 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®ReplyRetweetFavorite

Just Six House Republicans Vote Against Advancing Bill That Funds Govt, Delays Obamacares Individual Mandate

@ChadPergram
Chad Pergram

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/30/just-six-house-republicans-vote-against-advancing-bill-that-funds-govt-delays-obamacares-individual-mandate-and-a-few-of-the-names-may-surprise-you/

Offline sinkspur

Bachmann can't get her ass out of Congress fast enough.  She has turned into a friggin' laughingstock in the last year.

Gohmert's from Texas, but he's another who's skating on the edge of nutburgerism.  His hick act wears thin. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Rapunzel

Gohmert's from Texas, but he's another who's skating on the edge of nutburgerism.  His hick act wears thin.

Gohmert isn't the Texan who is wearing very thin.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

I promised myst I'd be the adult on threads like this, Rap.  You can continue to say and do what you usually say and do.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Louie Gohmert's brief statement on his vote:
"I could not in good faith vote for a bill that provides even more funding for #Obamacare"  “On January 1st, when millions of Americans will likely lose their employers’ contribution to their health insurance, I will refuse to receive that same subsidy. It also means I will have to pay a substantial penalty or ”tax,” but I cannot in good conscience accept the subsidy when so many Americans have lost their insurance altogether because of ObamaCare. We are supposed to be the servants of the American people, not the masters.

“House Republicans have voted for and sent the Senate two different bills, because we have been offering compromises, even to the extent of compromising with ourselves because Senate Democrats and the President have refused to negotiate at all. They have made clear that they will negotiate with Russians and Iranians, but will not negotiate with Americans.

“In the Continuing Resolution on which we voted Monday night, all funding is restored to the government takeover of Americans’ healthcare, referred to as ObamaCare, including funding of abortion. I could not vote for the resolution, though I am in agreement with the language ending government subsidies to Congress while Americans suffer without them.

“The President has given waivers or exemptions to hundreds and hundreds of his cronies, many businesses and some unions. I could not in good faith vote for a bill that provides even more funding for Obamacare when I have heard from massive numbers of constituents about the damage it is doing.

“I will continue to listen to the people of my district, but the hue and cry is overwhelmingly from those who have lost insurance, had insurance costs become prohibitive, lost jobs, or have been moved from full-time employment to part-time because of Obamacare.”

Offline flowers

The House of Representatives voted in favor of a procedural hurdle to consider the latest effort by GOP leadership to fund the federal government completely, but delay Obamacare’s individual mandate. Just six Republicans voted against the rule — and some of the names may surprise you.

Reps. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), Paul Broun (R-Ga.), Charlie Dent (R-Pa.), Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), Steve King (R-Iowa), and Peter King (R-N.Y.) all voted “no,” according to the Washington Post.

Dent and Peter King come from the more moderate wing of the party, while the others are outspoken conservatives,” the report observes.

Earlier on Monday, there was some debate over whether so-called moderate Republicans would derail the effort. However, with the GOP voting in favor 186-6, it was a pretty united effort.

So why did proven conservatives like Bachmann and Gohmert vote no?

Bachmann says she voted against the measure because the revised continuing resolution doesn’t go far enough in the effort to “kill Obamacare,” Fox News’ Chad Pergram reports.

“For what I have done with my life as a federal tax lawyer, I wouldn’t negotiate with myself, because then I wouldn’t have a strong position,” Bachmann told reporters.

Gohmert also reportedly made a similar case for voting against the rule that would advance the bill.

“It still continues to fund Obamacare … I want to get rid of the subsidy if America doesn’t have it, but at the same time I don’t want to vote to fund Obamacare,” he said, according to BuzzFeed.

Click here for the full breakdown of the vote.

The House was expected to pass the bill to delay individual mandate and fund the government on Monday night. Senate Democrats have indicated that they will table the House proposal later Monday night.

The bottom line: According to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and another Democrat aid, the Senate will refuse to even consider any amendments proposed by the House. Compromise, at this point, appears unlikely.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/30/just-six-house-republicans-vote-against-advancing-bill-that-funds-govt-delays-obamacares-individual-mandate-and-a-few-of-the-names-may-surprise-you/

Bachman was on Greta last night complaning that congress wouldn't get any healthcare insurance any more and it would cost most of them 12k a year so she thinks they should be exempt for that reason.

What the F happened to her? My cost will be 13k Why should they be exempt and myself have to pay 13k. All of them are paid well. I am still mad over her comments.  :chairbang:

Offline GourmetDan

I promised myst I'd be the adult on threads like this, Rap.  You can continue to say and do what you usually say and do.

Already broke your promise, eh?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan