Author Topic: Sen. Cruz Speaking Now; RNC Launches "Stand With Ted" Petition  (Read 1642 times)

Offline happyg

Sen. Cruz Speaking Now; RNC Launches "Stand With Ted" Petition
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:47:14 pm »
Flip over to CSPAN2 or their online digs to see Sen. Cruz speaking now.

Apparently CSPAN won't let you embed. Or I can't figure it out anyway. Just open in another window. He says he's going to talk until he cannot stand. This is an awareness-raising floor speech, not a true filibuster, as it doesn't push back the time for the first cloture vote which is set for tomorrow.

Townhall's Guy Benson has more on Cruz's speech, as well as the RNC's petition drive "Stand With Ted," launched simultaneously.

I know several folks were asking where Chairman Priebus was in all this. He wants you to sign the petition.

More: If you missed it this morning, the timeline for the next several days goes like this, with the Senate ultimately passing a CR of one sort or another on Sunday, giving the House just one day to respond. The timeline can change, however, if the parties unanimously waive the Senate rules, as has been discussed among the GOP conference this afternoon. They're considering agreeing to shorten the time for consideration in the Senate in order to get a CR back to the House faster.

And a little bit more: As you'd know if you listened to the AOSHQ podcast, I've been a little concerned that Sen. Reid could try and get cute with the Senate version of the CR and undo sequestration cuts. A staffer at the Senate GOP Budget committee press office got back to me:

tweets at Ace of Spades link

http://minx.cc/?post=343637

Offline happyg

Re: Sen. Cruz Speaking Now; RNC Launches "Stand With Ted" Petition
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:48:53 pm »
 But so long as the junior Senator from Texas is engaged in an old-school talking filibuster, and slamming the president's unpopular healthcare law, the Republican National Committee will have his back. RNC sources tell Townhall that party chairman Reince Priebus has launched an online petition in support of Cruz's efforts, which will coincide with the Senator's talk-a-thon. Here is an exclusive look at the petition's verbiage:

SUBJECT: I stand with Ted

[Friend],

In a fight between Harry Reid and Ted Cruz, I will stand with Ted Cruz any day.

Today, Senator Cruz has taken the fight to defund ObamaCare to the Senate floor. I hope you will join me in standing with him in solidarity.

As Republicans, we must remain true to our principles and fight to protect the American people from this reckless law.

55% of Americans disapprove of the manner in which ObamaCare is being implemented, yet Harry Reid and Senate Democrats continue to defend it, even at the expense of keeping the government running.

Harry Reid may think ObamaCare “has been wonderful for America.” But the facts are on our side – ObamaCare is costing Americans higher taxes, fewer jobs, and less access to care.

Join me and stand with Ted today. Sign our pledge and tell Harry Reid to defund ObamaCare immediately!

- Reince Priebus

More at: http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2013/09/24/exclusive-rnc-launches-stand-with-ted-petition-as-cruz-announces-filibuster-n1708649

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Sen. Cruz Speaking Now; RNC Launches "Stand With Ted" Petition
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:55:08 pm »
Americans' Belief That Gov't Is Too Powerful at Record Level

Record number of Republicans say the federal government has too much power

by Joy Wilke

PRINCETON, NJ -- Six in 10 Americans (60%) believe the federal government has too much power, one percentage point above the previous high recorded in September 2010. At least half of Americans since 2005 have said the government has too much power. Thirty-two percent now say the government has the right amount of power. Few say it has too little power.

Trend: Americans' Perceptions of Governmental Power

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams