Author Topic: Steve Schmidt rants against GOP ‘asininity’  (Read 2992 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Steve Schmidt rants against GOP ‘asininity’
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:28:00 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=DCA90F60-3DCA-4BB3-85E2-7560485734DA

Steve Schmidt rants against GOP ‘asininity’
By: Tal Kopan
September 24, 2013 06:22 AM EDT

Former John McCain senior adviser Steve Schmidt says he has “deep regret” for helping to create a “freak show” wing of the Republican Party when he had a hand in bringing former McCain running mate Sarah Palin to the national stage.

Schmidt said Monday on MSNBC’s “Hardball” it’s time for the GOP to stand up to the “asininity” embodied by Palin and others.

“For the last couple of years, we’ve had this wing of the party running roughshod over the rest of the party. Tossing out terms like RINO saying we’re going to purge, you know, the moderates out of the party,” Schmidt said. “We’ve lost five U.S. Senate seats over the last two election cycles. And fundamentally we need Republicans, whether they’re running for president, whether they’re in the leadership of the Congress, to stand up against a lot of this asininity.”

Schmidt was responding to Palin’s op-ed over the weekend praising Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) for his efforts to defund Obamacare even if it means a government shutdown and urging the Republican Party to go on “Cruz control.”

“Hardball” host Chris Matthews asked Schmidt what he thought of the “Frankenstein monster” he created in Palin and Cruz.

“You finally you saw it with Ted Cruz. Maybe he was the one that who’s got a bridge too far,” Schmidt said. “Maybe we’ll start seeing our elected leaders stop being intimidated by this nonsense, have the nerve, have the guts to stand up and … to fight to take conservatism’s good name back from the freak show that’s been running wild for four years and that I have deep regret in my part, certainly, in initiating.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Steve Schmidt rants against GOP ‘asininity’
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:35:52 pm »
fundamentally we need Republicans

Quite correct, Mr Schmidt, but not RINOs or Democrat Lites.

I wonder if this guy was behind the opposition research on Cruz mentioned by Wallace.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:37:42 pm »
 :nometalk:

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:38:19 pm »

I wonder if this guy was behind the opposition research on Cruz mentioned by Wallace.
Of course he was.

8888madkitty

Offline Olivia

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:58:15 pm »

Probably, along with the rest of the RINO's, McCain, Graham and of course, let's not forget Karl Rove, the one that thought Romney would win in a land slide and even had his little white board to convince us.  I stopped watching most of Fox because of him and his democrat lite agenda.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 06:07:48 pm »
One rightly suspects that the only reason Steve Schmidt works for Republicans is because they pay better, and on time.

Washington's political consultants are nothing more than carnival barkers for the Ruling Class. Any one of them, in exchange for a seat at the Big Table would sell their own grandmothers into slavery, and offer free delivery.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 06:19:45 pm »
“We’ve lost five U.S. Senate seats over the last two election cycles."

Doesn't matter to "true conservatives."  Sing the praises about Rubio and Christie one year, abandon them the next-for lack of absolute perfection.

But if we get down to just one elected representative in the country, he/she will be the purest, the most perfect one possible.

Not interested in winning more elections; just in getting more pure along the way.

The GOP. The Few. The Pure. Reagan's 11th commandment long forgot.

We kill our own. Circular firing squad. The stupid party. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »
We kill our own. Circular firing squad. The stupid party.

While I'll grant you there is some of that, I think you forget that there is another side of that coin. The McCain/Graham axis of weasels is more interested in power than in what's good for the country, much like Democrats. To elect representatives who are liberals disguised as Republicans doesn't do any good.

Winning for the sake of winning is just as stupid as the purity tests.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 06:44:14 pm »

Steve Schmidt and Nicole Wallace were the two who dropped all the "anonymous" stories about Sarah Palin in the 2008 election.  They also pushed McCain not to go tough on Obama.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776