Author Topic: Moscow pulls away from Kerry-Lavrov deal on Syrian chemical disarmament. Assad gets to keep his WMD  (Read 2909 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Russian leaders finally picked apart the Kerry-Lavrov understanding for Syria’s chemical disarmament - less than a week after it was unveiled in Geneva last Saturday. Thursday, Sept. 19, they slapped down a string of  coordinated obstructions. One knockout blow came from President Vladimir Putin, who commented dryly that he could not be 100 percent certain that the plan for the destruction of Syria’s chemical weapons would succeed. “But everything we have seen so far in recent days gives us confidence that this will happen. I hope so,” he said.

To dispel that hope, Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu followed up with a denial of any plans to destroy the Syrian chemical stocks on Russian soil.
Then, in an interview to Fox News, Syrian President Bashar Assad, in sync with Moscow, asked mockingly: “It [the destruction of poison chemicals] is very detrimental to the environment. If the American administration is ready to pay this money and take the responsibility of bringing toxic materials to the United States, why don’t they do it?”

http://www.debka.com/article/23295/Moscow-pulls-away-from-Kerry-Lavrov-deal-on-Syrian-chemical-disarmament-Assad-gets-to-keep-his-WMD

Offline sinkspur

And like a pair of braying jackasses, McCain and Graham will be trying to jam a resolution through the Senate authorizing the use of force on Syria.

Putin is going to rub Obama's face in his humiliation.  There never was any intent on Putin's part to deprive Assad of chemical weapons.  The only ones who didn't seem to know that were Obammy and Kerry.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Rapunzel

Obama and Kerry knew.. this was all trying to save face for Obama.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This is Debka now....it's Friday night.....be careful.   :nono:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

It pretty much comports with some stuff this morning on Fox.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

It pretty much comports with some stuff this morning on Fox.

Missed that, thanks.   Debka has burned us many times though.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This is Debka now....it's Friday night.....be careful.   :nono:

What's the deal with Debka? I really didn't pay attention to them until recently when Drudge linked to them. They don't seem to be conspiracy kooks.

Offline Rapunzel

What's the deal with Debka? I really didn't pay attention to them until recently when Drudge linked to them. They don't seem to be conspiracy kooks.

Anymore anything is better than the American media.  For instance how many reports have you heard about Iran holding some people at an airport in Iraq?  Or that Iran is pretty much controlling Iraq these days because Obama screwed the goose when he pulled out troops out of country (never mind how much blood and treasure we shed there)........

Online DCPatriot

They may have gotten better, AbaraXas.   They were completely wrong on many occasions years ago.  More like a tabloid or Enquirer of old.

Offline Cincinnatus

But how can this be:

One knockout blow came from President Vladimir Putin, who commented dryly that he could not be 100 percent certain that the plan for the destruction of Syria’s chemical weapons would succeed.

I thought this had all been cleverly arranged by Obama to get Putin to do what he wanted. Now you are telling me he and the Ruskies are
"pull[ing] away" from the deal?

I don't believe it. Nobody could hoodwink our Obama. He's far too astute for that.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Oceander

I just wish the GOP would learn at least one or two tricks from Putin's playbook.  Imagine how 2012 would have turned out if the republicans had no more than 10% of Putin's political skills; we'd be talking about how President Romney's reform of the Obama administration's disasters was going.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

And like a pair of braying jackasses, McCain and Graham will be trying to jam a resolution through the Senate authorizing the use of force on Syria.

Putin is going to rub Obama's face in his humiliation.  There never was any intent on Putin's part to deprive Assad of chemical weapons.  The only ones who didn't seem to know that were Obammy and Kerry.

I think the idea of authorizing force is dead at the moment.  Obama, and McCain should offer to foot the bill to destroy Assad's chemical weapons.

Oceander

I think the idea of authorizing force is dead at the moment.  Obama, and McCain should offer to foot the bill to destroy Assad's chemical weapons.

Of course it's dead, as it should have been from the very first.  Why should the American taxpayer foot the bill?

Why should the American taxpayer foot the bill?

So it gets done.  The the weapons are destroyed.  I can think of worse ways we spend the tax dollars.

Oceander

So it gets done.  The the weapons are destroyed.  I can think of worse ways we spend the tax dollars.

Naivete raises its pretty little head.  Russia is in charge of the project, do you really think that's going to happen?  Or are you simply more interested in funneling even more US taxpayer money to corrupt foreign officials?

Online DCPatriot

yeah.....such as underwriting off-shore drilling.

In Brazil.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203863204574346610120524166.html

Naivete raises its pretty little head.  Russia is in charge of the project, do you really think that's going to happen?

I'm thinking maybe Obama could attach some verification to funding.  I don't know if it will really happen but it would be worth paying for to make sure it does get done.

Or are you simply more interested in funneling even more US taxpayer money to corrupt foreign officials?

hurm.