Author Topic: And the Best Engine 2013 is. . .  (Read 4570 times)

famousdayandyear

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: And the Best Engine 2013 is. . .
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:51 pm »
Ford of Germany has turned out excellent vehicles for many decades.

The latest version of the acclaimed Ford Focus is essentially a Ford of Europe creation.

I bet the winning Ford Engine is designed in Europe, too. Most of what is taking place will all automakers was leading edge a few years back in Europe; namely smaller displacement, fewer cylinders, with turbocharging.

The base 5 series BMW, Audi A6, and Jags are all turbo 4 cylinder power plants. They have MORE horsepower and torque than V8s and 6s of just a few years ago. And higher fuel economy, as well.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:31:17 pm »
Gah.  I just thought it was a very funny video.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:57:44 pm »

The latest version of the acclaimed Ford Focus is essentially a Ford of Europe creation.

I bet the winning Ford Engine is designed in Europe, too. Most of what is taking place will all automakers was leading edge a few years back in Europe; namely smaller displacement, fewer cylinders, with turbocharging.

The base 5 series BMW, Audi A6, and Jags are all turbo 4 cylinder power plants. They have MORE horsepower and torque than V8s and 6s of just a few years ago. And higher fuel economy, as well.

One thing I've noticed in my constant business travels is it seems domestic brands in the US are released several years behind Europe.  A good example is the Ford Mondeo in the UK. I saw the new model Taurus in the US and recognized it as the Mondeo from about 3 years ago. (the 2011 Mondeo has similar technology's the 2014 Taurus. The 2012 Mondeo had the same body styling (with new Aston styled grill) as the 14 Taurus). 

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 12:59:48 am »
One thing I've noticed in my constant business travels is it seems domestic brands in the US are released several years behind Europe.  A good example is the Ford Mondeo in the UK. I saw the new model Taurus in the US and recognized it as the Mondeo from about 3 years ago. (the 2011 Mondeo has similar technology's the 2014 Taurus. The 2012 Mondeo had the same body styling (with new Aston styled grill) as the 14 Taurus). 

Interesting.  Any thoughts on why?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 01:29:51 am »
That is true. Until now, Ford placed the previous version of the Focus in the US, while Europe got the latest version.

It shows you that US  manufacturers' managements have not felt Americans were particularly discriminating.

But Americans have been, discriminating enough to buy German, Korean and Japanese cars.

BTW some of what the new Chrysler Corp is selling, comes from Fiat, namely the new Dart II.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 01:51:47 am »
That is true. Until now, Ford placed the previous version of the Focus in the US, while Europe got the latest version.

It shows you that US  manufacturers' managements have not felt Americans were particularly discriminating.

But Americans have been, discriminating enough to buy German, Korean and Japanese cars.

BTW some of what the new Chrysler Corp is selling, comes from Fiat, namely the new Dart II.

The new Dart (a) is butt-ugly, and (b) has nothing whatsoever in common with the original Dodge Dart.

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:54:33 am »
Interesting.  Any thoughts on why?

My first thought is simply regulations. Different things are required in different markets and there are also different requirements in the manufacturing process. It may be easier and cheaper to roll out some things first there.

The other thing it may be is the diversity of the European market may allow for more experimentation to see what people like in the markets that have higher mark-ups. Roll out two or three different option packages and looks there then focus group it to see which ones go over best here. Then transfer that model to the domestic market.

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 03:55:20 am »
The new Dart (a) is butt-ugly, and (b) has nothing whatsoever in common with the original Dodge Dart.

They should have just called it the Dodge Neon 2.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 03:56:43 am »
They should have just called it the Dodge Neon 2.

I couldn't agree more.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 03:57:50 am »
My first thought is simply regulations. Different things are required in different markets and there are also different requirements in the manufacturing process. It may be easier and cheaper to roll out some things first there.

The other thing it may be is the diversity of the European market may allow for more experimentation to see what people like in the markets that have higher mark-ups. Roll out two or three different option packages and looks there then focus group it to see which ones go over best here. Then transfer that model to the domestic market.

I believe that crash standards in the US are more rigorous than those in most European countries, so perhaps it takes longer to get a design crash-worthy for the US regulators than it does for European regulators.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »
You got that right!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 04:37:08 pm »

Ya, but the engine is Ford's 999cc 3-cylinder turbo-diesel I believe.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 05:01:42 pm »
Ya, but the engine is Ford's 999cc 3-cylinder turbo-diesel I believe.

From Europe no doubt, as I hinted. The once Big 3 have essentially abdicated design of modern, efficient passenger vehicles to Europe, Japan and Korea. They build and sell, from various sources.

GM waits until Toyota has refined and advanced hybrids and plug ins, to enter the market--and basically fail to keep up.

A one liter turbo diesel is adequate to power small-medium passenger vehicles. Over 50%of passenger vehicle sales in Europe are diesels. Now.

And to prove the point, GM-Chevy has introduced diesel power in their Cruz line. Quite similar to the VW Jetta.

Leading from behind seems to be the new model, for America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

1.0 L EcoBoost I-3[edit source]

Ford EcoBoost 1,0 Motorblock.jpg

Ford has announced a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged engine for the EcoBoost family developed at Ford's Dunton Technical Centre in the UK. Production is to start in April 2012. The 1.0 comes initially in two versions: 74 kW (101 PS; 99 hp) and 88 to 92 kW (120 to 125 PS; 118 to 123 hp). The more powerful version delivers a maximum of 170 N·m (125 lb·ft) from 1,400–4,500 rpm and 200 N·m (148 lb·ft) on overboost, which makes for a broad torque curve when compared to on-road diesel engines. The engine block is cast iron instead of aluminium for up to 50% faster warm-up, at the expense of additional weight.[12][13] Due to natural vibrations of a 3-cylinder design, the flywheel has been deliberately unbalanced to ensure smooth running, without the use of energy sapping balance shafts. The engine also features an internal timing belt, bathed in the engine oil, for long life and greater efficiency. The exhaust manifold is cast into the cylinder head, reducing warm up times and therefore further aiding efficiency. All this is packaged in an engine block the size of an A4 sheet of paper.[14] With the introduction of 2013 Ford Fiesta facelift, Ford introduced naturally aspirated version of 1.0 EcoBoost engine. There are two versions producing 65 hp and 80 hp, both engines uses DI and Ti-VCT like turbocharged versions, start-stop technology is available too. There is no official name for this version of 1.0 l engine, Ford brands it in the official specification press simply Ti-VCT.

The engines are produced in Cologne, Germany and Craiova, Romania with production to later expand in Chongqing, China. Production is expected to be 700,000–1,500,000 units per year. The engine is available in Ford Focus, the Ford Focus-based C-MAX and Grand C-MAX, and the Fiesta-based B-Max. Ford has claimed it may be available in the future for the North American markets.[15]

Ford has announced that this engine will be available for the American market starting with the all-new 2014 Ford Fiesta Sedan and Hatchback. It was announced at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show, when the car featuring it was introduced.

Applications[edit source]

(100 hp)
2012— Ford Focus
2012— Ford C-Max
2012— Ford B-Max
2013— Ford Fiesta

(125 hp)
2012— Ford Focus
2012— Ford C-Max
2012— Ford B-Max
2013— Ford Fiesta
2013- Ford Ecosport

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 05:02:06 pm »

Not just Europe.  I test drove a Mazda Speed3 6-speed last year and found it to be way more animal than I could handle.  I ended up buying the 6-speed 2.5 liter and find it's plenty fast enough and fun to drive.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 07:29:45 pm »
Oh... don't get me started on modern automotive designs.

It seems like ever since the late 1990s or so, pretty much every vehicle in existence has looked the same. Ever eager to make their cars as aerodynamic as possible, cars have become ugly (those swept-back headlights are not flattering), homogenous and bland. You could not make a car like the beautiful '66 Polara (my personal favorite) today.

Of course, the ever increasing mileage pressures (made even more onerous with the ethanol mandates) have not helped.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

famousdayandyear

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 11:26:41 pm »
Oh... don't get me started on modern automotive designs.

It seems like ever since the late 1990s or so, pretty much every vehicle in existence has looked the same. Ever eager to make their cars as aerodynamic as possible, cars have become ugly (those swept-back headlights are not flattering), homogenous and bland. You could not make a car like the beautiful '66 Polara (my personal favorite) today.

Of course, the ever increasing mileage pressures (made even more onerous with the ethanol mandates) have not helped.

Ethanol will kill the internal combustion engine.  It's destroying my car as we speak; and just about pricing me out of the food market.  Seen the cost of bread lately?   Or anything that uses good ole corn products?  What do they feed hogs these days.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 11:32:31 pm »
Ethanol will kill the internal combustion engine.  It's destroying my car as we speak; and just about pricing me out of the food market.  Seen the cost of bread lately?   Or anything that uses good ole corn products?  What do they feed hogs these days.
It goes beyond engine damage and food prices.

It serves to subsidize farmers growing corn, making lotsa money.

Merely another government "dole" that can't seemingly be ended.

Minorities, single moms, government defense contractors, real estate

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 12:02:50 am »
From Europe no doubt, as I hinted. The once Big 3 have essentially abdicated design of modern, efficient passenger vehicles to Europe, Japan and Korea. They build and sell, from various sources.

GM waits until Toyota has refined and advanced hybrids and plug ins, to enter the market--and basically fail to keep up.

A one liter turbo diesel is adequate to power small-medium passenger vehicles. Over 50%of passenger vehicle sales in Europe are diesels. Now.

And to prove the point, GM-Chevy has introduced diesel power in their Cruz line. Quite similar to the VW Jetta.

Leading from behind seems to be the new model, for America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

1.0 L EcoBoost I-3[edit source]

Ford EcoBoost 1,0 Motorblock.jpg

Ford has announced a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged engine for the EcoBoost family developed at Ford's Dunton Technical Centre in the UK. Production is to start in April 2012. The 1.0 comes initially in two versions: 74 kW (101 PS; 99 hp) and 88 to 92 kW (120 to 125 PS; 118 to 123 hp). The more powerful version delivers a maximum of 170 N·m (125 lb·ft) from 1,400–4,500 rpm and 200 N·m (148 lb·ft) on overboost, which makes for a broad torque curve when compared to on-road diesel engines. The engine block is cast iron instead of aluminium for up to 50% faster warm-up, at the expense of additional weight.[12][13] Due to natural vibrations of a 3-cylinder design, the flywheel has been deliberately unbalanced to ensure smooth running, without the use of energy sapping balance shafts. The engine also features an internal timing belt, bathed in the engine oil, for long life and greater efficiency. The exhaust manifold is cast into the cylinder head, reducing warm up times and therefore further aiding efficiency. All this is packaged in an engine block the size of an A4 sheet of paper.[14] With the introduction of 2013 Ford Fiesta facelift, Ford introduced naturally aspirated version of 1.0 EcoBoost engine. There are two versions producing 65 hp and 80 hp, both engines uses DI and Ti-VCT like turbocharged versions, start-stop technology is available too. There is no official name for this version of 1.0 l engine, Ford brands it in the official specification press simply Ti-VCT.

The engines are produced in Cologne, Germany and Craiova, Romania with production to later expand in Chongqing, China. Production is expected to be 700,000–1,500,000 units per year. The engine is available in Ford Focus, the Ford Focus-based C-MAX and Grand C-MAX, and the Fiesta-based B-Max. Ford has claimed it may be available in the future for the North American markets.[15]

Ford has announced that this engine will be available for the American market starting with the all-new 2014 Ford Fiesta Sedan and Hatchback. It was announced at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show, when the car featuring it was introduced.

Applications[edit source]

(100 hp)
2012— Ford Focus
2012— Ford C-Max
2012— Ford B-Max
2013— Ford Fiesta

(125 hp)
2012— Ford Focus
2012— Ford C-Max
2012— Ford B-Max
2013— Ford Fiesta
2013- Ford Ecosport

I'm not sure I would exactly call that leading from behind.  Since Ford presumably owns its European operations, including the design studios, it would seem to follow (so to speak) that Ford is, in fact, on the leading edge of design, it just does that designing in Europe rather than the US.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 12:16:22 am »
We had one - yep ONE - candidate in 2012 who was anti-ethanol. The corn lobby defeated him in Iowa's primary.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 01:13:36 am »

I'm not sure I would exactly call that leading from behind.  Since Ford presumably owns its European operations, including the design studios, it would seem to follow (so to speak) that Ford is, in fact, on the leading edge of design, it just does that designing in Europe rather than the US.
Point taken. It is fairly recent, that Ford have brought their best stuff to the US in a timely manner.

Until the current model, Europe used to be one model ahead of us with the Focus.

And the winning engine isn't used in the US at present. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 01:39:59 am »
We had one - yep ONE - candidate in 2012 who was anti-ethanol. The corn lobby defeated him in Iowa's primary.
You hit the nail on the head. The corn lobby, thanks to Iowa being first in line, has a disproportionate influence in American society, and I strongly suspect that they're part of the reason why that high-fructose corn syrup junk pervades so much of our food. (Pardon my digression here, but you can't possibly tell me it tastes the same as sugar. You can mask the corny taste with certain acids, which is how they do it in soda, but I can notice the difference.)

Anyway, back to the car talk...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 03:11:51 am »
Point taken. It is fairly recent, that Ford have brought their best stuff to the US in a timely manner.

Until the current model, Europe used to be one model ahead of us with the Focus.

And the winning engine isn't used in the US at present. 

I think you are correct in that the design culture has moved from the US to Europe, as it seems it is Ford's European designers, not its American designers, who are on the cutting edge.

Wasn't Ford also planning on releasing a new Mustang model that was based on a European platform?

famousdayandyear

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 03:19:04 am »
May I have one of these, please:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 06:20:45 pm »
I think you are correct in that the design culture has moved from the US to Europe, as it seems it is Ford's European designers, not its American designers, who are on the cutting edge.

Wasn't Ford also planning on releasing a new Mustang model that was based on a European platform?

Bottom line: While the US auto-industry continued to decline, they still did well enough with "light trucks" to survive. That is pickups and SUVs. Big vehicles, big V8 engines. Nothing particularly innovative there.

Meanwhile the international competition was advancing towards the next era, evidenced by the investment Toyota made in hybrid technology. And the investment VW Group made in clean diesel technology.

The problem for US companies is this: the competitors are not standing still. Once behind, the US firms stand little to no chance of leapfrogging to the front.

The Europeans use racing, to advance and to showcase technology. Audi (VW Group) have dominated LeMans racing, using diesel technology. Formula 1 uses variations of hybrid bits.

Meanwhile Nascar goes around and around ovals, in low tech vehicles, to the delight of their undemanding fans.

With a few exceptions, US firms simply don't participate in the highest levels of international racing.