Author Topic: And the Best Engine 2013 is. . .  (Read 4569 times)

famousdayandyear

Re: And the Best Engine 2013 is. . .
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 06:57:46 pm »
Meanwhile Nascar goes around and around ovals, in low tech vehicles, to the delight of their undemanding fans.

Ok.  You done took yo ignant stick and poked it right there at my lil ole heart.

Let's talk after you have visited a NASCAR shop and checked out the engine building department.  Where do you think all the technology in tire development, fuel efficiencies, weight to performance improvements, safety apparatus come from required to meet US specific mandated standards? 
PS:  Worked the circuit 1988-1996; know the best in the field.  Please retract that "undemanding", "low-tech" crap as a matter of professional courtesy.   Or come on down here and I'll take you to Charlotte.  You can see for yourself, seeker of truth.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 08:05:03 pm »
Ok.  You done took yo ignant stick and poked it right there at my lil ole heart.

Let's talk after you have visited a NASCAR shop and checked out the engine building department.  Where do you think all the technology in tire development, fuel efficiencies, weight to performance improvements, safety apparatus come from required to meet US specific mandated standards? 
PS:  Worked the circuit 1988-1996; know the best in the field.  Please retract that "undemanding", "low-tech" crap as a matter of professional courtesy.   Or come on down here and I'll take you to Charlotte.  You can see for yourself, seeker of truth.
Since your involvement, GM and Chrysler have failed. GM got their best cars from their Australian subsidiary near the end. There are no no American interests represented in Formula 1, the premier auto racing series.

The demanding high tech stuff is happening in international series, like Formula 1, LeMans, German Touring Car, etc.

Since you asked so nicely, I will retract my remark  ""undemanding", "low-tech" crap as a matter of professional courtesy."

Retracted.

Next year Formula 1 will be running turbo 4 cyl. putting out about 700 hp, to 17000 rpm. And with the number of engines limited for the season.

Mario Andretti has started announcing races, for NBC Sports Network. There is a new world class track near Austin, built for Formula 1.

You go to Charlotte, I go to Laguna Seca. At Sonoma the Nascars have to turn both left and right.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

famousdayandyear

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 08:21:24 pm »
You go to Charlotte, I go to Laguna Seca. At Sonoma the Nascars have to turn both left and right.

You *could* go to Sonoma or Watkins Glen if you really were as open-minded as you claim.  BTW, Juan Fangio and Aryton Senna are heroes of mine.  I taught myself to drive an Austin-Healy 100 after just reading things Fangio wrote about driving--when I was 13.   Others are Stirling Moss and Niki Lauda.  Born and raised in NC, I grew up with Southern stock cars.  But I love ALL racing which has given so much to automotive advances over the years.

GM and Chrysler had/have bad *UNION* problems; and they did not have car guys running the joints.  And GM sucks developing new passenger cars. Ford is doing quite well.  My view is that Europe is a 'small' place compared to the United States; automotive requirements there are very very different.  Horse lane roads; relatively short distances. Apples and oranges.

Thank you for retraction.  And please do not patronize me by saying you complied because I asked *nicely*.  It is. seeker, simply an honorable thing to do.  Problem is no one understands honor anymore.  But thanks, anyway.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 01:19:49 pm »

I look at NASCAR like a precision sniper rifle and F1 like a smart-bomb.  Snipers generally use the most basic of platforms, a simple bolt action rifle, and have fine tuned their rifle, ammunition, as well as their own skills to maximum performance. Smart-bombs are packed with millions in technology to reach out and touch the enemy from miles above.

Both maximize the performance for the application they are using and require immense skill and knowledge. The platforms are worlds apart but they are both effective for the use they were designed for. Apples and oranges.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 02:14:33 pm »
I look at NASCAR like a precision sniper rifle and F1 like a smart-bomb.  Snipers generally use the most basic of platforms, a simple bolt action rifle, and have fine tuned their rifle, ammunition, as well as their own skills to maximum performance. Smart-bombs are packed with millions in technology to reach out and touch the enemy from miles above.

Both maximize the performance for the application they are using and require immense skill and knowledge. The platforms are worlds apart but they are both effective for the use they were designed for. Apples and oranges.

A wonderful illustration of the exceptional uniqueness of each form of racing technology.
I thank you especially for your appreciation of what we do down here in redneck country.
Let's hope NASCAR doesn't get all 'tech-y' on us--beyond what they have already done.
Thanks again from North Carolina.