Author Topic: Digital SLR Suggestions  (Read 2194 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Digital SLR Suggestions
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:19:13 pm »
As a budding, amateur, completely novice, noob photographer, I am looking for suggestions from more experienced members. I am looking for suggestions/advice for a new Digital SLR camera. Most of what I do is either concert photography, nature, or city/architecture. I've actually had some accolades for a few of my photographs (Revolver Magazine featured a few of my concert photographs and our city's annual tourism calendar picked up one of my photos this year). I want to take it to the next level but not spend to much as I am not making any return revenue off my shots, imply for the fun of it.

I would like to stick in the sub-$500 range for the body. I don't expect much I am not printing wall size photographs.

One desire I have over my current camera is a faster time between shots. Right now there is 15 to 20 seconds between shots before you can shoot another one.

Offline ABX

Re: Digital SLR Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:19:45 pm »
Refurbished/used suggestions are fine too.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:22:33 pm »
I've been shooting with DSLRs for over 10 years.  I currently shoot with a Canon 7D.

It's not just the camera which is important, but the lens.  In fact, the lens is more important in my opinion.  I could put a crappy lens on a Canon EOS 1D-X and it would produce crap.

Do you already have a lens or would you need one as well?
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:16 pm »
My current camera is a Kodak Z990 with a 30X optical zoom, 12MP, and a fixed Schneider lens. I am very happy with the quality I am getting from this camera except the aforementioned delay between shots as well as needing to interchange lenses and custom focus.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 11:24:34 pm »
How much range do you need?  The more zoom you need, the more expensive the lens.

If you want to avoid the studder during what we call burst photography, then you'll have to go with a decent camera.  Also, you'll probably have to buy a new memory card.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 11:27:04 pm »
I've been shooting with DSLRs for over 10 years.  I currently shoot with a Canon 7D.

It's not just the camera which is important, but the lens.  In fact, the lens is more important in my opinion.  I could put a crappy lens on a Canon EOS 1D-X and it would produce crap.

Do you already have a lens or would you need one as well?

Lens suggestions are also a plus. I want at least three. A good 18-55, a macro, and a 1000mm+. Back in High School and early college I used to shoot a lot of SLR and had a bag full of various filters that I'm not quite sure are even necessary but one thing I would like is a polarized filter of some sort for some of the nature shots over water to reduce glare.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:27:41 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:22 pm »
How much range do you need?  The more zoom you need, the more expensive the lens.

If you want to avoid the studder during what we call burst photography, then you'll have to go with a decent camera.  Also, you'll probably have to buy a new memory card.

One of the reasons I want to keep the body price reasonable is to invest in some great lenses. 1000mm + for my big one.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:31:07 pm »
I love my Cannon.......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:35:54 pm »
Because you want a 1000mm lens, I would advise going with something higher end.  Putting a huge lens on the basic consumer line of DSLRs makes it very hard to shoot because of the imbalance.  There are some good used 7Ds for under $1000 and I can personally attest to the fact that it's a good camera.

I would advise going with Canon; I have never had a problem with them and their service is top notch.  My company's CFO shoots with the EOS 1D-X with a 1D Mark IV as backup and he has been well published.

We need to decide on a camera first before going to the lenses.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 11:36:40 pm »
A sampling of the type of my photos. (low res versions). I've had requests by local bands to do a lot more concert photography which is why I want to get a new 'kit'.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 11:40:06 pm »
You definitly need one of the "semi-professional" cameras like the 5DIII, 6D, or 7D.  The Rebel series would not cut it IMO, especially if you shoot in low light.

Also, I don't know of any lenses for Canon or Nikon over 800mm, and those are hideously expensive, many over $10k.  You can add an extender to some which will increase the range from 1.4 to 2x times usually.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 11:44:18 pm »
Truly, I need to know how much total you want to spend because based on the lens you describe, you could easily be running over $20k if they're all the high quality variety.

Edit: Gotta run to the store.  Back in a little while.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:53:44 pm by Atomic Cow »

Offline ABX

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 12:11:36 am »
Truly, I need to know how much total you want to spend because based on the lens you describe, you could easily be running over $20k if they're all the high quality variety.

Edit: Gotta run to the store.  Back in a little while.

Total budget currently is only about $1K  I was hoping to keep the body under $500 and use the rest for lenses. I am willing to cut back a lot on my big lens for now, maybe something in the 500mm range. I'm just finding myself missing some great shots because I can't get close enough (mostly nature shots).

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 12:17:25 am »
Given the current state of the economy have you checked pawn shops, Craigs List?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 12:42:30 am »
A photographer friend of mine recommends Borrow Lenses.com. It seems you don't necessarily have to buy a certain super expensive lens for a gig, it might make sense to rent it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 01:06:35 am »
Total budget currently is only about $1K  I was hoping to keep the body under $500 and use the rest for lenses. I am willing to cut back a lot on my big lens for now, maybe something in the 500mm range. I'm just finding myself missing some great shots because I can't get close enough (mostly nature shots).

A 500mm lens of any real quality is going to be over $1000 easy, even used.

Take a look @ these.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800977132-USE/canon_4460b003_eos_60d_dslr_camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800968811-USE/canon_2807b006_eos_50d_slr_digital.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800976924-USE/canon_8595b001_eos_rebel_t5i_dslr.html

I would advise, if you're going to buy used, get it from from a photography store like B&H.  They'll have inspected it to make sure the condition is accurate.  The 60D a little bit up from the Rebel series, although technically the Rebel T5I is one generation ahead of the 60D.

We need to pick a body before even discussing lenses.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 01:14:16 am »
I'm just finding myself missing some great shots because I can't get close enough (mostly nature shots).

I had the same problem as I do aviation photography and it is very hard to get close enough without risking getting arrested.  Even at airports like DFW where they welcome spotters/photographers, there are only a few places we can go that provide good shots.  I shoot with the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus Lens.

Offline ABX

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 04:25:30 am »
I had the same problem as I do aviation photography and it is very hard to get close enough without risking getting arrested.  Even at airports like DFW where they welcome spotters/photographers, there are only a few places we can go that provide good shots.  I shoot with the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus Lens.

AC, if you are shooting at DFW you and I are neighbors and many of those photos are in the same area. :)

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 04:27:38 am »
You definitly need one of the "semi-professional" cameras like the 5DIII, 6D, or 7D.  The Rebel series would not cut it IMO, especially if you shoot in low light.

Also, I don't know of any lenses for Canon or Nikon over 800mm, and those are hideously expensive, many over $10k.  You can add an extender to some which will increase the range from 1.4 to 2x times usually.

So none of those Chinese knock-offs at $500 are any good?

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 04:30:56 am »
I make it up to DFW once or twice a year, usually Feb-April and if a second trip is possible, Oct-Nov.  I'm still going through the photos from the April trip.  It takes forever to get up uploaded since the site is hideously slow @ screening and I've got 2,000 to go through.

I'd stick with the real thing.  Better to spend a little extra now then end up with a piece of junk.