Author Topic: 'Burka Avenger' fights for Pakistani schools  (Read 927 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
'Burka Avenger' fights for Pakistani schools
« on: July 26, 2013, 05:34:52 pm »
Far too cool not to share.

Via the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23468573

Female cartoon superhero Burka Avenger is set to debut on Pakistani television next month. The country's answer to Wonder Woman and Supergirl uses books and pens against bad guys trying to shut the girls' school where she works. She is already making waves, as BBC Urdu's Saba Eitizaz reports.

Pakistan's first caped crusader is a burka-clad superhero who fights school-hating baddies by night and moonlights as a gentle, compassionate schoolteacher by day.

Burka Avenger has yet to launch on TV, but she is creating quite an impression in a country where female literacy is estimated at a grim 12% and the Taliban are continuing a campaign which has seen hundreds of girls' schools blown up in the north-west.
A poster of animated Burka Avenger series is displayed at an office in Islamabad, Pakistan, Wednesday, July 24, 2014.

The animated series is the brain child of Pakistani pop singer Aaron Haroon Rashid, who had actually set out to develop an iPhone game app by the same name last year.

A small animated video was developed to promote the app but the main character took on a life of her own, which has led to a 13-episode animated series to be aired on the Geo television channel early next month.

More at link.

We complain about our schools and what they teach. Sometimes it is worth thinking on the fact that too many people have no access to any education at all. My old head of department in my teaching days did a two year stint teaching in Africa. His class - of 75 students - would walk or ride to school from up to 20 miles away. They would then go home and share what they had learned with others from further out.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink