Author Topic: Scrapping equipment key to Afghan drawdown  (Read 1565 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Scrapping equipment key to Afghan drawdown
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:09:30 am »
KANDAHAR AIRFIELD, Afghanistan — Facing a tight withdrawal deadline and tough terrain, the U.S. military has destroyed more than 170 million pounds worth of vehicles and other military equipment as it rushes to wind down its role in the Afghanistan war by the end of 2014.

The massive disposal effort, which U.S. military officials call unprecedented, has unfolded largely out of sight amid an ongoing debate inside the Pentagon about what to do with the heaps of equipment that won’t be returning home. Military planners have determined that they will not ship back more than $7 billion worth of equipment — about 20 percent of what the U.S. military has in Afghanistan — because it is no longer needed or would be too costly to ship back home.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/scrapping-equipment-key-to-afghan-drawdown/2013/06/19/9d435258-d83f-11e2-b418-9dfa095e125d_story.html

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Re: Scrapping equipment key to Afghan drawdown
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:13:40 am »
$7B is around the amount of equipment and rolling stock that was PDO'd to LN's or destroyed at Al Asad, Iraq. I would hate to see the numbers from Victory Base.

IIRC, we sent the Iraqi's 100 MRAPs and a bunch of SUV/pickups in late 2010 because someone forgot to cancel the order.

We need a "ping" capability. Allegra could chime in on this.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:25:42 am »
$7B is around the amount of equipment and rolling stock that was PDO'd to LN's or destroyed at Al Asad, Iraq. I would hate to see the numbers from Victory Base.

IIRC, we sent the Iraqi's 100 MRAPs and a bunch of SUV/pickups in late 2010 because someone forgot to cancel the order.

We need a "ping" capability. Allegra could chime in on this.

Isn't she over there again at the moment? Pretty sure she said she would be by now.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:01:50 pm »
Isn't she over there again at the moment? Pretty sure she said she would be by now.

yes, she's over there........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776