Author Topic: Pope admits there is a ‘gay lobby’ at the highest levels of the Vatican  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Story summary:

Pope Francis acknowledged its long-rumoured existence for the first time

Argentine Pontiff made remarks in audience with Latin American Catholics

He also said there was a 'current of corruption' in the Roman Curia

Pope Francis has acknowledged the existence of a 'gay lobby' inside the Vatican's secretive administration for the first time.

Speaking during an audience with Latin American Catholics, the Argentine Pontiff said that there was a 'current of corruption' in the Roman Curia - the central governing body of the Catholic Church.

He also admitted the existence of a long-rumoured 'gay lobby' in the Curia, and hinted that he might take action over the issue.

Speaking in his native Spanish last Thursday, the 76-year-old told the CLAR (the Latin American and Caribbean Confederation of Religious Men and Women): 'In the Curia, there are truly some saints, but there is also a current of corruption.

'There is talk of a 'gay lobby' and it's true, it exists,' he said, in a report on Chilean website Reflexion y Liberacion.  'We will have to see what we can do.'

The Argentine pope has made reforming the Roman Curia—the heavily criticised and intrigue-filled administration of the Catholic Church—a keystone of his papacy, but said it would be 'difficult.'

'I cannot carry out the reforms myself,' he said, explaining that he was 'very disorganised.'

For that reason, the task will be handled by a commission of eight cardinals from around the world whom Pope Francis appointed in April to help him govern the Catholic Church.

They are set to meet for the first time in October.

When the previous Pope, Benedict XVI, announced his decision to retire, many suspected the work of the rumoured gay lobby at the heart of the Curia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2339692/Pope-admits-gay-lobby-highest-levels-Vatican.html

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline sinkspur

Yes.  He also said this:

"Say you err, [or] make a blunder – it happens! Maybe you'll receive a letter from the Congregation for Doctrine [sic], saying that they were told this or that thing.... But don't let it bother you. Explain what you have to explain, but keep going forward.... Open doors, do something where life is calling out [to you].  "I prefer a church that messes up for doing something than one that's sick for remaining closed inside itself."

In other words, the Pope here seems to be encouraging those (like the American women religious) who are doing good things to continue doing them and not get bothered by the doctrinal watchdogs who seem to be constantly hounding them.

And I do like this:

"I'll share two worries of mine. One is a pelagian current that's in the church at this time. There are certain restorationist groups. I know them as I took to receiving them in Buenos Aires. And you feel like you've gone back 60 years! Before the Council... you feel like it's 1940 again... One anecdote, only to illustrate this – not to make you laugh – I took it with respect, but it bothered me; when they [the cardinals] elected me, I received a letter from one of these groups, and they told me; 'Holiness, we offer you this spiritual treasure: 3,525 rosaries.' Why they didn't say 'we're praying for you,' let's wonder... but this [thing] of taking account [of prayers]... and these groups return to practices and disciplines I lived – not you, none of you are old – to things that were lived in that moment, but not now, they aren't today.... 

The second [worry] is over a gnostic current. These pantheisms... they're both currents of elites, but this one is of a more formed elite. I knew of one superior general who encouraged the sisters of her congregation to not prayer in the morning, but to give themselves a spiritual bath in the cosmos, such things.... These bother me because they lack the Incarnation! And the Son of God who became our flesh, the Word made flesh, and in Latin America we have this flesh being shot from the rooftops! What happens to the poor, in their sorrows, that is our flesh.

The Gospel is not the ancien regime, nor is it this pantheism. If you look to the outskirts; the indigent... the drug addicts! The trade [trafficking] of persons... That's the Gospel. The poor are the Gospel....

Francis has little patience with the archaic practices of some in the Traditionalist movement and the goofy New Ageism of some on the left.  He is balanced and anchored in Matthew 25:  Whatever you do for the least of Christ's brothers and sisters you do for him.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.