Author Topic: Israel to strike Russia's missile delivery to Syria?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline pjohns

Israel to strike Russia's missile delivery to Syria?
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:11:22 am »
One has to wonder where this may lead; and if the US will ultimately become involved militarily, if Israel and Russia begin duking it out:

Israel's defence chief said Tuesday a Russian plan to supply sophisticated anti-aircraft missiles to Syria was a "threat" and signalled that Israel is prepared to use force to stop the delivery.

The warning by Defence Minister Moshe Yaalon ratcheted up tensions with Moscow over the planned sale of S-300 air-defence missiles to Syria. Earlier in the day, a top Russian official said his government remained committed to the deal.

Here is the link to the entire AP story:http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/05/28/israel_threatens_to_strike_russias_shipments_of_missiles_to_syria.html

Offline Relic

Re: Israel to strike Russia's missile delivery to Syria?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:33:30 am »
One has to wonder where this may lead; and if the US will ultimately become involved militarily, if Israel and Russia begin duking it out:

Here is the link to the entire AP story:http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/05/28/israel_threatens_to_strike_russias_shipments_of_missiles_to_syria.html

Israel knows that America is "leading from behind" and will ignore any situation that arises with Israel and Russia. Attacking a Russian shipment will cost Israel dearly. The Israelis know this and wouldn't dare.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 03:23:37 am »
Israel knows that America is "leading from behind" and will ignore any situation that arises with Israel and Russia. Attacking a Russian shipment will cost Israel dearly. The Israelis know this and wouldn't dare.

What a mess. Obama and McCain are siding with the Al Qaida, and p*ssing off Russia. Do they really want a fight with Russia?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 03:41:38 am »
McCain is crazy as a coot and Obama hates this country... we're basically screwed.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 03:46:40 am »
McCain is crazy as a coot and Obama hates this country... we're basically screwed.

I think McCain was programed @ the Hanoi Hilton.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline pjohns

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:28:54 am »
Attacking a Russian shipment will cost Israel dearly.

How so, exactly?

The Israelis know this and wouldn't dare.

I rather doubt that Israel is intimidated by Russia's military.

But Israel's leaders may very well believe--not at all unreasonably, in my opinion--that Russian missiles in the hands of the Syrian army represent an existential threat; and that there is, therefore, nothing to lose by their destroying that threat, regardless of the potential upshot...

Offline pjohns

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:34:24 am »
What a mess. Obama and McCain are siding with the Al Qaida, and p*ssing off Russia. Do they really want a fight with Russia?

This strikes me as being a complicated situation, as neither side is exactly the apotheosis of (small "D") democratic thought.

Still, I do not believe that either President Obama (for whom I have enormous disdain, generally) or Sen. McCain (as regarding whom, I have mixed feelings) is targeting Russia in this matter.

Rather, I believe that it is Russia that is acting in a most provocative manner; presumably, because it believes that the Assad government is worth attempting to save, so that Syria may remain a dependable client state in the Middle East...

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 04:49:23 am »
This strikes me as being a complicated situation, as neither side is exactly the apotheosis of (small "D") democratic thought.

Still, I do not believe that either President Obama (for whom I have enormous disdain, generally) or Sen. McCain (as regarding whom, I have mixed feelings) is targeting Russia in this matter.

Rather, I believe that it is Russia that is acting in a most provocative manner; presumably, because it believes that the Assad government is worth attempting to save, so that Syria may remain a dependable client state in the Middle East...

Reasonable supposition.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:25 pm »
I'm beginning to think Israel is at the "who gives a f*ck anymore" stage.  It will however, force America to use it's petroleum resources.  Let the rest of world use glow in the dark oil.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.