Author Topic: Canadians complain their new $100 bills have the unmistakeable aroma of maple syrup  (Read 1410 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2331770/New-Canadian-100-dollar-bills-reek-like-maple-syrup-national-bank-says-notes-fragrance-free.html

May 27, 2013

The smell of success is particularly sweet in Canada as an unending stream of residents swear that the new $100 bill is the scent of maple syrup.

The national treasury released a new plastic bank note in November 2011, and they have received hundreds of emails from residents who are convinced that the bills have an added fragrance. 'They all have a scent which I’d say smells like maple? Please advise if this is normal?' wrote one concerned citizen.

Media liaisons for the Bank of Canada have repeatedly denied that there is any particular scent to the money, but that didn't stop concerned citizens. The Canadian Press submitted a request for all of the emails the bank received from the public in regards to the issue, and there are enough to fill a maple syrup vat. 'I would like to know...once and for all if these bills are in fact scented, as I do detect a hint of maple when smelling the bill,' another such email read.

While some of the emails were focused on the question of whether or not they were scented, others were more concerned that their notes were defective since they had lost 'the scent'. 'The note...lost its maple smell. I strongly suggest the Bank increases the strength of the... maple smell,' one person wrote.

The smell isn't the only maple-related complaint about the notes, as other emails reveal that the Bank received a number of emails about the fact that the maple leaf that is drawn on the bill looks more like a Norway Maple than a Canadian one. Adding insult to injury, the Norway Maple is an invasive species that is doing damage to the Canadian environment.

The Bank says that there is no truth to the claims about the different species.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024