Author Topic: Gloucestershire cheese-rolling takes place despite warning  (Read 1496 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-22681708

Thousands of people have gathered in Gloucestershire for the traditional cheese-rolling races on Cooper's Hill.

The unofficial event has taken place despite warnings from police that organisers could be liable for legal action in the event of an incident.

An estimated 3,000 people turned out to watch thrill-seekers chasing a foam copy of a double Gloucester cheese.

The tradition, which takes place near Brockworth, Gloucester, dates back to at least the early 19th Century.
'Dressed as ninja'

This year organisers replaced the cheese with the lightweight foam version in order to make the downhill race safer.

The event has taken place unofficially every year since 2009

Winner of the first race, Kenny Rackers, 27 - an estate agent from Colorado Springs in the US - said he came over especially for the event, a journey of some 4,000 miles (6,400km).

"I trained a long time for this and got hurt on the hill practising. I came three days early and I took a bad spill, but I came to win and that's what I did," he said.

"I came 3,000 or 4,000 miles just for this race. I put it on my bucket list and today it was to win and that's what I did."

More at link.

So, we have some odd traditions here  :laugh: So happy they went ahead with it anyway, even though they had to replace the usual 40 lb cheese with a foam on.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:41:00 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Gloucestershire cheese-rolling takes place despite warning
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:13 am »
I can only imagine how embarrassing it would have to be to actually injure yourself in something like this.

DOCTOR: So, can you tell me what happened?
PATIENT: Well, I was chasing this piece of cheese down a hill, and...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Gloucestershire cheese-rolling takes place despite warning
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:57:33 am »
It is actually a wonderfully fun day. Did it once, back in '99. Got no where near the damned cheese though  :laugh:

Sure, people get banged about a bit - sprained ankles are common, the odd concussion, black eyes from getting someone's foot in your face - but rarely anything serious. St. Johns Ambulance (They are volunteer medics - very popular organization) attend and there are always vehicles on standby to take people to hospital if needed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink