Author Topic: Deadly car bombs rock Iraqi cities  (Read 2623 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Deadly car bombs rock Iraqi cities
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:05:42 pm »
Via al Jazeera: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/05/201352071548212347.html

At least 68 people have been killed and 195 injured in a series of car bombs across Iraqi cities, police and medics say, pushing the death toll over the past week to more than 200 and extending one of the most sustained bouts of sectarian violence the country has seen in years.

The bloodshed is still far shy of the pace, scale and brutality of the dark days of 2006-2007, when armed groups carried out retaliatory attacks against each other in a cycle of violence that left the country awash in blood. Still, Monday's attacks, some of which hit markets and crowded bus stops during the morning rush hour, have heightened fears that the country could be turning back down the path toward civil war.

Sectarian tensions have been worsening since Iraq's minority Sunnis began protesting what they say is mistreatment at the hands of the Shia-led government. The mass demonstrations, which began in December, have largely been peaceful, but the number of attacks rose sharply after a deadly security crackdown on a Sunni protest camp in northern Iraq on April 23.

More at link.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Deadly car bombs rock Iraqi cities
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:23:04 pm »
We wasted our troops' lives, we wasted our borrowed money, and we squandered our national reputation--for this?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:22:32 pm »
We wasted our troops' lives, we wasted our borrowed money, and we squandered our national reputation--for this?

I was all for invading Iraq. I was wrong. Horribly wrong.

The cost is all you describe and more. Without Saddam, Iran is free to act without fear of invasion.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:57 am »

No. We caused this.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:30:36 am »
No. We caused this.

We didn't cause it, but we certainly helped it along and we did waste blood and treasure in Iraq because we persisted in trying to strait-jacket the peoples in this region in political models that really only work for us.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 04:54:53 am »
If not for Israel I would say just nuke the entire region and save the world.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:33:13 am »

No. That is a horrible thing to say.

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 10:17:09 pm »
We didn't cause it, but we certainly helped it along and we did waste blood and treasure in Iraq because we persisted in trying to strait-jacket the peoples in this region in political models that really only work for us.

Unfortunately, the Muslims came here to make us like them, while we are them, attempting to make them like us. The irony!!!

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:35:15 am »

Israel may be prepared to do just that if it comes to it.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 04:25:56 am »
If not for Israel ~

Why?
I have a difficult time understanding why people will put a foreign nation on a pedestal.

IMO (and don't shoot me for this) - if we did not support Israel, we wouldn't be having our current issues in the M.E.

Remember, Israel also attacked one of our ships and killed Americans. That would have been an act of war if any other nation had done that. The Tonkin Gulf Incident was the justification of the Vietnam War, and it was a much more tenuous reason.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 05:44:53 am »
Why?
I have a difficult time understanding why people will put a foreign nation on a pedestal.

IMO (and don't shoot me for this) - if we did not support Israel, we wouldn't be having our current issues in the M.E.

Remember, Israel also attacked one of our ships and killed Americans. That would have been an act of war if any other nation had done that. The Tonkin Gulf Incident was the justification of the Vietnam War, and it was a much more tenuous reason.

Atonement.

Remember, we knew about the concentration camps and did nothing. That has got to weigh on people's minds.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 06:03:35 am »
Why?

We absolutely WOULD still be having problems in the ME with or without Israel, they use Israel as a skapegoat, but we are so far beyond that being their reason for being it isn't even funny.. fact is their religion has been co-opted by radicals who are hell-bent on killing everyone they consider an Infidel...  What I do think is we know -- now -- why they had dictators, they NEEDED their secular dictators to keep a lid on the crazy Mullah's.... you'd think we'd have learned when Carter looked the other way in deposing the Shah.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776