Author Topic: True Scandal A tea-party group targeted by Democrats gets attention from the IRS—and the FBI, OSHA, and the ATF.  (Read 2400 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Catherine Engelbrecht’s tale has all the markings of a classic conspiracy theory: She says she thinks that because of her peaceful political activity, she and her family was targeted for scrutiny by hostile federal agencies.

Yet as news emerges that the Internal Revenue Service wielded its power to obstruct conservative groups, Catherine’s story becomes credible — and chilling. It also raises questions about whether other federal agencies have used their executive powers to target those deemed political enemies.

Advertisement
Before the Engelbrecht family’s three-year ordeal began, Catherine says, “I had no real expectation or preparation for the blood sport that American politics is.” Sounding weary on the phone, she continues: “It’s all been a through-the-looking-glass experience.”

Cleta Mitchell, a lawyer who specializes in representing conservative organizations, says that the Engelbrecht family’s experience is “just the tip of the iceberg. . . . I think there’s definitely a Chicago-politics-style enemies list in this administration, and I think it permeates this branch of the federal government.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/348756/true-scandal-jillian-kay-melchior

Offline happyg

We already know that liberals were planted in the Tea Party rallies, not only to disrupt the rallies, but to spy on them. That was a Hitler tactic. He had spies all over the place, including children, to do his dirty work because he was so paranoid, as well as keeping the opposing groups at bay.

What makes me just as mad is the republicans who are so darn slow with their investigations.

Offline Rapunzel

And then people like Juan Williams to this day keeps saying the tea party is racist.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline ABX

We already know that liberals were planted in the Tea Party rallies, not only to disrupt the rallies, but to spy on them. That was a Hitler tactic. He had spies all over the place, including children, to do his dirty work because he was so paranoid, as well as keeping the opposing groups at bay.

What makes me just as mad is the republicans who are so darn slow with their investigations.

Not just physically but virtually as well. I've seen it recently a coworker who is a absolutely rabid DU leftist. I follow him on Twitter through a professional association (so he doesn't know it is me). Besides the absolute nastiness he says about the right, he brags about his groups having accounts on various tea party groups and certain forums and have had them for years. They work hard to find out who anonymous accounts belong to, troll and steer conversations, and do whatever they can to smear these groups from the inside. The scary part is they really do keep names of individuals who use normally anonymous log ins.

Good thing about GBR being small at this point is we are somewhat off the radar to these types.

Offline happyg

Good thing about GBR being small at this point is we are somewhat off the radar to these types.

Wouldn't that depend more on how many hits GBR gets, rather than number of members who post, as well as the number of replies? Also, there are a lot of lurkers here, who I imagine, read a lot of the material. They all can't be robots.

Offline ABX

Wouldn't that depend more on how many hits GBR gets, rather than number of members who post, as well as the number of replies? Also, there are a lot of lurkers here, who I imagine, read a lot of the material. They all can't be robots.

It is based on attention.  We could have millions of hits but if we still stay under the radar or don't have red flags of controversy like other sites, they'll focus on the big boys. As we know, a certain site that shall not be named is still the one to get most of the attention from leftist trolls, mostly due to how long they've been around but also they open the doors to trolls if they say the right things. Other sites like the Tea Party Network, various gun groups and forums (AR15.com is a big trolled one) and the like are getting the attention now.

What has helped here is I believe we have a lot of rational posters who don't go off the handle and feed the left talking points.

Offline Cincinnatus

I strongly recommend everyone read the entire NR article AbaraXas posted to open this thread. It encapsulates the tactics utilized by the Obama government to intimidate and silence its opponents.

This couple, operating a small manufacturing company in TX, for over a three year period were "audited" and investigated by the IRS, ATF, OSHA, the FBI, and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (acting on an anonymous tip). Most amazingly this all came about shortly after the Mrs Engelbrecht became politically active and formed a group called the King Street Patriots.

It's a chilling story made all the more chilling by the realization that all these government agencies have legal authority to do what they did and the citizens, the Engelbrechts, haven't got the time nor the money to effectively fight back. Oh, yeah, they did contact their Congressman. Whoopee!

How I hope someone like Jay Sekulow has taken up their cause and that everyone on here will realize what we are up against.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Oceander

I strongly recommend everyone read the entire NR article AbaraXas posted to open this thread. It encapsulates the tactics utilized by the Obama government to intimidate and silence its opponents.

This couple, operating a small manufacturing company in TX, for over a three year period were "audited" and investigated by the IRS, ATF, OSHA, the FBI, and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (acting on an anonymous tip). Most amazingly this all came about shortly after the Mrs Engelbrecht became politically active and formed a group called the King Street Patriots.

It's a chilling story made all the more chilling by the realization that all these government agencies have legal authority to do what they did and the citizens, the Engelbrechts, haven't got the time nor the money to effectively fight back. Oh, yeah, they did contact their Congressman. Whoopee!

How I hope someone like Jay Sekulow has taken up their cause and that everyone on here will realize what we are up against.

I completely agree.  The fact of the matter is, no one really appreciates just how much unfettered power the government - or, more to the point, the individuals who can use the government's power - has to destroy an individual's life without compunction and with almost complete immunity.  The basic fact is this:  there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent a government agent from harming you if that government agent wants to harm you, and precious little you can do to fix that harm unless you have lots and lots and lots of money to spend on lawyers.

The only thing that genuinely protected most of us from the depredations of government agents was the institutional belief system that used to exist within the government that created self-imposed limits on what most government agents would do with the power they wielded:  that belief system used to emphasize the difference between what one can do and what one should do, with the latter being much more narrow than the former, and that it was only what one should do that was legitimate.  It is this belief system that still informs almost everything the US military does vis-a-vis domestic politics and policy:  the military know full well that if they so wanted to, they could own this country lock, stock, and barrel, and make other militaries, such as those of Egypt and China, green with envy.  But they don't use their power that way, because at the very core of the military's institutional belief system is the belief that the military does not, period, end of discussion, ever get involved in domestic economic or political issues.  And thank God for that because, but for that one self-imposed belief, the might that devastated the armies of Saddam Hussein would be turned against us.

With respect to the rest of our governments - state as well as federal - we have not been nearly so lucky.  Through a toxic combination of liberalism/progressivism and the reaction to the events of 9/11 (which I believe made many people determined to get "them" - whomever the appropriate "them" is at the time - by whatever means necessary), that institutional belief system is fading fast, and we will soon, I fear, get to experience first-hand the raw exercise of government power with the velvet glove stripped from the iron fist.  The KGB and the Stassi were terrifying in their time, but they are now punters compared to the resources available to your average federal government agent, and once our government learns to relish the taste of its citizens' own blood, I do not think the consequences will be pleasant.

If we don't manage to reinvigorate the institutional customs and beliefs that heretofore restrained our own government from consuming us - even if imperfectly - we will soon come to regret it sorely.

Offline Rapunzel

It is based on attention.  We could have millions of hits but if we still stay under the radar or don't have red flags of controversy like other sites, they'll focus on the big boys. As we know, a certain site that shall not be named is still the one to get most of the attention from leftist trolls, mostly due to how long they've been around but also they open the doors to trolls if they say the right things. Other sites like the Tea Party Network, various gun groups and forums (AR15.com is a big trolled one) and the like are getting the attention now.

What has helped here is I believe we have a lot of rational posters who don't go off the handle and feed the left talking points.

Which is why we carefully check out potential new members, not to be an echo chamber, but to keep out people who would come here with an agenda.  Right now is not the time to play with the trolls. (IMHO)
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776